Sao Feng Map

Does anyone know if James Byrkit is on the RPF? He was the one who wrote the original text for the map (and for the Pirata Codex), he would probably be able to provide what the text on the back says instead of taking guesswork on the super faded sections.

Small update. While I search to get ahold of the original text on the back, I am going over all the images I can find of the back in photoshop and painting over the characters I can identify to get a clear un-aged layout of the back for recreation. I have a friend who speaks a little traditional mandarin who is helping to translate readable characters and identify partial ones.

Update:

Canvas print is on it's way. My original thought was to purchase two prints, one to use to cut out the circular portions and get those exact and then the second one to use as the master once all the map dimensions have been finalized.

But now I'm thinking to just get one, fasten it to the wood, and be very careful in cutting out the circular portions. The cut's will have to be precise in order to least disturb the canvas. I would need something really sharp to cut through the canvas and the wood although I don't see myself cutting too deep. The wood is an inch thick; I think cutting to a quarter inch would suffice.

Thoughts?

Update:

Canvas print is on it's way. My original thought was to purchase two prints, one to use to cut out the circular portions and get those exact and then the second one to use as the master once all the map dimensions have been finalized.

But now I'm thinking to just get one, fasten it to the wood, and be very careful in cutting out the circular portions. The cut's will have to be precise in order to least disturb the canvas. I would need something really sharp to cut through the canvas and the wood although I don't see myself cutting too deep. The wood is an inch thick; I think cutting to a quarter inch would suffice.

Thoughts?
That seems pretty risky to tear the map and lose a lot of detail, as whatever you are cutting inch thick wood with will not have the precision and detail loss of a razor blade, unless you are using a laser cutter or something.

What I would do is cut out the wood rings first, and then lay them over the map to use as a stencil/template, and cut the canvas with a razor blade.

That seems pretty risky to tear the map and lose a lot of detail, as whatever you are cutting inch thick wood with will not have the precision and detail loss of a razor blade, unless you are using a laser cutter or something.

What I would do is cut out the wood rings first, and then lay them over the map to use as a stencil/template, and cut the canvas with a razor blade.
I agree, it is risky and I certainly don't have a laser cutter.

How would you ensure that the wood ring dimensions match those of the canvas map? I guess this is where precise measuring would come in. Each ring would have to be precisely measured on the canvas and then those measurements would have to be taken to the wood in the exact spot they'll be located and then cut away.

Canvas print will come out to 25" x 29". My wood is measured at 24"x36" so I'll have to trim the canvas in terms of width by one inch and will have to trim the wood in terms of length but seven inches. I think I'm okay with those specs and from what I understand, the print should come out to a very high resolution. Fingers crossed.

as prior stated there were various prop maps for particular scenes. The metal lazy susan, made from brass rings with channles milled in at the bottom for ball bearings, is the only one that physically turned. if its turning in the film, thats the only one. When it was folded, that was an off the shelf set of bamboo blinds from Target. No joke, simple and effective. The folding prop maps were never intended to be seen in detail, folding was the only function. There were a couple made with the solid map Super 77'ed to bamboo blinds as a whole with no cuts for the slats. Others were made with cuts to the map at the slats for practical prop use which would be what has more screen time in the film as its a rolled up version.

The map as you would imagine it in the film, spinning, folding, being laid out to read as a map, never existed and never has as a single item. It took variants to make it appear as one in the films. Once you cut the map to work within the bamboo slats, you lose a lot of map. The spinning map was a one off, tightly machined in brass then the map itself cut by hand with a sharp surgical blade to have as little room between gaps as possible.

For a seemingly basic item, its a wormhole.

When Rob speaks, I stop and listen - always.

Fascinating post...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back