SANDCRAWLER STUDIO SCALE 3D MODEL

Thanks doods...so, finished modelling the last big cluster of kit parts in the roof hatch;

SANDCRAWLER6.jpg

I would definitely buy this STL file!! I've always wanted a sand-crawler!! Just a word of caution to make sure the thicknesses of the panels are sufficient to allow them to be reduced to print on a variety of printers. I find the 'sweet spot' is somewhere of a form factor where the longest maximum dimension is about 30cm. Easily manageable print-wise, and fit nicely on standard bookshelves. I have purchased many files from a premiere Star Wars CAD designer who does detailed and accurate SS models. But when they are reduced down to 50 percent or so that largest pieces will just barely fit onto the Elegoo Saturn, the wall thicknesses are so thin that the resin is actually translucent when you pull it off the printer. Separating these eggshell components from the supports let alone washing and curing, just destroys them. Sorry to vent, I just took a look at my 14 hour print of the fuselage from the snow speeder and it's going to be a total failure because the two main hull pieces are about as thick as a piece of paper lol.

AMAZING WORK would love the link to any other models pay or free!! :)

Thanks for your input Ventuoguy...yeah I've been there myself, printing stuff that's too thin. I will be making this as a 1/6 model so wall thickness does not apply to my build. For those that want to print it at studio scale, which is the size I am modelling, then it will come out at 1.09m or 43 inches. At this size I would expect to print the main shell on an FDM printer and everything else in resin
If u wanted to go smaller, around 30cm, and print it all in resin then u would have to print the body as solid and hollow out the shells in Chitubox, to 3mm or so. I will play around with the model once it's complete to see about slicing etc for different printers

The link to my other models is here; A hub for 3D printable STAR WARS by IMPERIALPRINTHUB on Etsy

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Ventuoguy...yeah I've been there myself, printing stuff that's too thin. I will be making this as a 1/6 model so wall thickness does not apply to my build. For those that want to print it at studio scale, which is the size I am modelling, then it will come out at 1.09m or 43 inches. At this size I would expect to print the main shell on an FDM printer and everything else in resin
If u wanted to go smaller, around 30cm, and print it all in resin then u would have to print the body as solid and hollow out the shells in Chitubox, to 3mm or so. I will play around with the model once it's complete to see about slicing etc for different printers

The link to my other models is here; A hub for 3D printable STAR WARS by IMPERIALPRINTHUB on Etsy
Hey there Geek thank you for your reply, that is very generous of you! Sand crawler is a wonderful project and it was thrilling to see the Mandolorian scaling the walls just like the original Batman lol. I would love to print it at studio scale actually but I don't have an FDM printer and don't know if I could stand any more pleasure (pain) or any more fun (misery) that I've already experienced with the resin printer :). Thanks for the Etsy link I am off to check it out! Cheers.

Ok a few more bits done
Building this is definitely going to be a game of 2 halves...there's the whole upper 'box' sections and then there's all the lower tank tread stuff. I think there are 8 caterpillar tracked sections in 4 pairs...so a lot of printing
SANDCRAWLER8.jpg
SANDCRAWLER9.jpg
SANDCRAWLER10.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back