Sand Trooper Statue

Aku

Hi, long time lurker,first time poster

I'm starting the new year with a number of super detailing/conversion projects. First off, I've managed to get hold of a cheap Hasbro A-Wing (£10), and intend to follow some of the great examples on this site and repaint and detail it. Raised panel lines have been sanded down in preparation. Later on I'll rebuild the guns and cockpit, scribe panel lines in and repaint it.

SandTrooper
The other one that I've started is to take the Hasbro 30cm Storm Trooper action figure, slice it up and re position it more like one of the more expensive statues. I like the idea of making a Sand trooper, largely because I think the design is cool, but also the dirt weathering will help cover up any imperfections. :)

I bought mine for £15 from Sainsbury's, which I thought was a good base price, but it turns out that budget store B&M are selling them for £7. I've yet to actually find one on the shelves yet though. Shame, since it seems that making a three man squad for little more the £21 sounds like a bargain.

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/star-wars-action-figure-30cm-298326

It's not super accurate, the torso and hips look too long and thin, but for £15 Ithink I can make a go of it.

hst1.jpg

Here is my progress so far. The head simply pops off once you soften it in warm water. The rest of the figure was sliced up using the blade attachment on my dremel, and I've sanded down the joints. The upper arm sections look to be too long, which actually works well as they now can tuck into the shoulder pads correctly (see the left arm for example).

hst2.jpg

The cod piece and thigh parts will need the most work before I can start on repositioning it. I'm somewhat short on funds since Christmas time, but I hope to start sculpting again soon.

The Stig
Finally, I'm throwing this last conversion open. I had one of the Stig bubble bath containers once. I was intending to convert it into a Iron Man 2,Tony Stark in his racing coverall statue, but lost interest in that and binned it.

I'm now thinking about making a companion piece to the StormTrooper statue and do another Star Wars figure. You can still pick the Stig up cheap. Here is a picture of it but I have seen them on Ebay for £2 before

http://www.bongos.net.au/collectables/the-stig-3d-body-wash-250ml.html

The head easily pops off. Now I'm not sure how easily the plastic will accept paint, but I'm thinking of using the base body for either, Bossk, Dengar, a X-Wing pilot or a TIE fighter pilot. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Slow but steady progress. My work room is the bedroom, so I only get a couple of hours work time in the evening as I have to allow the glue and paint fumes to dissipate before wifey comes to bed.

Prepared the base. Simple construction: two sheets of scrap foam card glued together and then covered in sculpt. I normally prefer to work with Apoxy sculpt, but until I restock I'll resort to Milliput. The side walls were sanded smooth, while I left the top unfinished. Since the intention is to cover in coral sand, rough and lumpy will do. The base is light, but rigid. There is some slight flex if I put excess weight on it, but since the figure is hollow and light, it won't be a problem.

hst3.jpg

hst4.jpg

The legs needed the most work. The tops of the thighs have been filled, sanded and shaped. The left leg needed extensive working to duplicate the Sandtrooper knee pad. I dremeled the knee smooth, then built it up with Milliput and pieces of plasticard. I took measurements off the 501 costume reference pics. The knee pad looks too wide from the front, but from other angles it looks fine.

hst5.jpg

I need to get some Apoxy sculpt ordered for the joints. The intention it to use plastic or wooded beads in the joints, rather like an action figures joints. Position and then glue and fill. You can see the kind of thing I mean in this Morbius Iron Man model when I repositioned the arms and legs.
hst6.jpg

yeah. Has been for years. I have a desk, framed super hero posters on the wall, and book shelves full of Lego and action figures.

Oh,and a bed :)

Wife has been pretty patient over the years, she knows that my hobby is important to me so she puts up with it. <Sigh> Both of us hope that I'll get a proper man cave one day. Then I can really go to town with the move props.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back