Salzo V4 Red 3

One issue so far for me anyways. I'm using the resin wing armature. It's been a little over a month now and my wings are sagging severly. Just a heads up.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Can you post pics of the area that is sagging? that resin for the armature is mechanism is supposed to be tough enough to handle the weight of the wings. It's supposed to be pretty much as tough as acrylic.

Hope we can figure out what is going on there.
mike

One issue so far for me anyways. I'm using the resin wing armature. It's been a little over a month now and my wings are sagging severly. Just a heads up.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Can you post pics of the area that is sagging? that resin for the armature is mechanism is supposed to be tough enough to handle the weight of the wings. It's supposed to be pretty much as tough as acrylic.

Hope we can figure out what is going on there.
mike

No problem. In the closed configuration they were straight as an arrow, its never in direct sunlight, maybe a bad batch?

View attachment 490094
View attachment 490095View attachment 490098View attachment 490106View attachment 490108

Last edited:
Ok, let me work on a solution. Just to confirm what i am thinking, does it look like the L brackets are bending downwards on the top wings relative to the center core?

Sorry I thought I might ask here given the sagging
Mike are the AT-ST legs safe as I remember you talking about making those legs stronger?
Or should a support stand be used

Ok, let me work on a solution. Just to confirm what i am thinking, does it look like the L brackets are bending downwards on the top wings relative to the center core?

I know this thread is a few months old, but I've noticed that my wings are sagging from the L brackets also. The wings themselves are strait and they are sagging relative to each other see photo.
20150823_225405.jpg

Would be nice to see if this can be fixed.

One thing is for sure, it was the included armature that is the culprit with this. I would love any suggestions on how to fix this. I love this model and spent so much time getting it right. The only thing I can think is to rip it apart and get a Mike Reader armature. However, I'm afraid I'm going to ruin it if I try. BTW has anyone heard from Mike lately? Are people still getting V4s?

Reading between the lines (and watching the new Star Wars tours video in this section ) I think its would be safe to conclude that a couple of people here that produce kits have been working to order for Disney. I certainly recognised a few models in there, as they lack the obvious tells of the originals, such as missing parts and warped wings. Its unlike Mike to abandon problems but if he and others are preoccupied with work from the company that owns the IP for all SW properties and within a VERY short time frame to complete work, it makes sense not to advertise the fact here just yet or where they will stand with selling the kits in the future. Bear it also in mind that with "Rogue One" coming out a lot of the old SW designs will be current again and there may be conflicts of interest associated with that for garage kit producers for obvious reasons. The fact that a few people here are getting to work alongside or for the actual SW productions is great, but they just can't talk about it. Would you risk it??? Thought not.
I've a V 4 and a few other kits but I've not done any building recently because I've been building a prop room for my stuff (or at least my brother in law did the construction work and I've done the finishing). I've a V3 whose top wings have sagged a little over time. To fix that I've detatched the wings, drilled along and through them to fit a thin brass rod and then slotted that back into the main body. I cannot close them (but then that was never an issue) but it does need a repaint.

Last edited:
I have about 4 ofI Mikes kits
im hoping he chimes in with a cure to the sagging or the best home cured to do

I can't comment on anything specific at this time but i will say i have been working 12-15 hour days for months now, which unfortunately has resulted in some stuff being delayed, like the fix for this wing problem. But i am done with the big project for now so i can take some time to figure this out.

I will say that the issue is that the resin i used for the armature, was not all it was advertised to be. It is supposed to be warp resistant up to 120 degrees or so. Since i am guessing that you guys are not storing these in rooms that are 120 degrees, that claim is a bit exaggerated by the manufacturer.

The fix will be a brace for when the wings are open that will replicate the V shape detail that is supposed to be there anyway.

The guys to have it assembled already should be able to warm the armature a bit, get it straightened by using the brace, then inserting the brace whenever the wings are open. that should take care of it. Otherwise i would say that i will need to replace the whole kit for guys that built it, i think there are only 2 or 3, hoping that you guys are Ok making the kits you have open wing only displays and accepting an apology and a 2nd kit to build.

It was not what i expected, the material just did not live up to it's promise.

I need a few days to recover from my crazy summer/fall schedule, then will get on the brace.

Many things have changed for me, so i do not know the future of the V4 at this point.

Anyone who purchased a kit I will need to send a brace out to at some point, meaning those who have not built their kits yet.
mike

Reading between the lines (and watching the new Star Wars tours video in this section ) I think its would be safe to conclude that a couple of people here that produce kits have been working to order for Disney. I certainly recognised a few models in there, as they lack the obvious tells of the originals, such as missing parts and warped wings. Its unlike Mike to abandon problems but if he and others are preoccupied with work from the company that owns the IP for all SW properties and within a VERY short time frame to complete work, it makes sense not to advertise the fact here just yet or where they will stand with selling the kits in the future. Bear it also in mind that with "Rogue One" coming out a lot of the old SW designs will be current again and there may be conflicts of interest associated with that for garage kit producers for obvious reasons. The fact that a few people here are getting to work alongside or for the actual SW productions is great, but they just can't talk about it. Would you risk it??? Thought not.
I've a V 4 and a few other kits but I've not done any building recently because I've been building a prop room for my stuff (or at least my brother in law did the construction work and I've done the finishing). I've a V3 whose top wings have sagged a little over time. To fix that I've detatched the wings, drilled along and through them to fit a thin brass rod and then slotted that back into the main body. I cannot close them (but then that was never an issue) but it does need a repaint.

I appreciate that Mike. Thanks for getting back to us on this, I understand you are very busy. I don't mind making mine a wings open only display. To clarify more, mine has always been in a temperature controlled environment and never in direct sunlight.

Thanks,
Mike

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back