Salacious Crumb Puppet - Build Thread

Tea

Second Puppet Finished:

First Puppet Finished:

DSC_0772.JPGDSC_0279 (Large).JPGDSC_0253.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:

I'm working on a full scale Salacious Crumb puppet, I thought some folks might be interested in watching it progress.

Here are some pictures of the early armature and sculpt. This is my first ever sculpt, and first ever puppet so suggestions & constructive criticism are very welcome, especially at this early stage in the project.

Thanks for looking!

DSC_0977.JPG DSC_0982.JPG

DSC_0943.JPG DSC_0963.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Arms are created out of aluminum armature, wrapped in foam, which is then wrapped in cotton gauze, painted with liquid latex, then wrapped in a latex "skin". Resin finger nails will be added later.

10001410_10153885994535527_1503001325_n.jpg

A few minor things left, but the head sculpt is pretty much finished. Inner mouth parts will be sculpted separately and the clay eyes will be removed before the mold is created.

1960065_10153898658620527_1577538642_n.jpg 1962778_10153898658510527_597941062_n.jpg

Thanks Schlitzie!

Nails are cast in resin with black pigment. Paint and "cuticles" will be added later.

1509244_10153912668580527_1936291735_n.jpg

Thanks Emmet! I watched a fair bit of tutorials and did a good bit of research. I had a whole lot of fun with it, and some decent reference photos - It took a good while, but I'm really happy with it.

Niob, I have considered doing a run of these, but the entire body is scratch made in a way that I believe is very close to the process used for the actual movie puppet. That means that making more than one would be a bit tedious, and the run would be very limited. However, right now, It is a very strong possibility.

Very cool!

You were saying how you wrapped everything in a latex skin, does the skin come premade in sheets or did you make that yourself?

You were saying how you wrapped everything in a latex skin, does the skin come premade in sheets or did you make that yourself?

I make the sheets by painting multiple layers of liquid latex onto a pane of glass. I can then cut "patterns" using a razor blade. It needs to be powdered pretty well before and more while peeling it off the glass.

I make the sheets by painting multiple layers of liquid latex onto a pane of glass. I can then cut "patterns" using a razor blade. It needs to be powdered pretty well before and more while peeling it off the glass.

So how many layers have been made achieve the thickness here?

That is a very cool technique! It looks great.

So how many layers have been made achieve the thickness here?

2-4 thick layers, depending on the application (fingers 2, neck 4, etc). Once the skin is adhered to the part, the seems are filled with more latex, then it is "sponged" with two thin layers using a cosmetic sponge.

Mouth parts cast in pigmented latex using a one part ultracal mold. Still need to airbrush it before it is permanently attached.

20140322_143106.jpg 1795485_10153942903305527_1436127219_n.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back