S-foil deployment mechanism upgrade - 1:48 MPC X-wing

Hagoth

Sr Member
Hi everyone, new to this forum even though I have stalked it for quite some time. I must say there is an impressive amount of talent here. I hope my contributions are considered worthy. I've been out of the modeling stage for way too long and it's time to step back into it. I have way too many 3D creations just begging to become physical manifestations. :D

I want to introduce my latest project (inspired in part by some X-wing related threads here) to create a better mechanism for operating the S-foils on X-Wing models. Specifically my old MPC 1:48 scale X-wing. The wing pivot mechanism was wonky to begin with as the wings can rock in the body as well as independently from each other. Plus you can see right through the model. After many years of display they are sagging. Time for an upgrade.

The goal of this project was to create a mechanism that would eliminate the rocking and wobble, fix the sagging, synchronize the wings opening and closing and lock them in position either opened or closed. On top of that I wanted the mechanism to be completely contained in the existing model wing box and be manual or motor operated. Beyond that the mechanism would be scalable for 1:35 and 1:24 versions.

The projected name is PM-1A. Here are the results so far:

http://hagoth.wix.com/the-brass-ball#!pm-1a/cjex

I'm interested in feedback on the concept so far in general, however, in particular from anyone who has an old 1:48 MPC X-Wing since this will eventually become a kit for it.

Last edited:
That looks fantastic. I think you're on a winner there. You just need to make one for the newer "super size me" Hasbro X-Wing now.

Thanks!

Do you have a link to the one you are thinking about? There is one out there that does not have positionable wings at all. It would require a lot of scratch building to install a positioning mechanism scaled for that toy but then I guess that is part of the fun. :)

If that toy is 1:24 scale then a general version is already on the schedule. If someone requests that I specifically make one for the Hasbro toy and can provide me the 12 or so critical dimensions that I need, or better yet sends me a loaner to take them from I will put it on the project list.

The project order is currently the 1:48 scale for the MPC model, a 1:35 scale for the Pro-Shop model, and a general 1:24 scale for scratch built studio scale models.

Yup. That's the one. The Hasbro Hero Series X-Wing but this one scales out to about 1/17 scale.

url

There is one out there that does not have positionable wings at all.

I:17 scale would be a very doable size. Anyone want to collaborate on a project to do it?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, in case there are others that are having trouble figuring out that the last image in the development log is just an image link to the video and not supposed to be the video itself (video link is in the bottom left corner of the image) here is the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Q2ZbuiFAc

I'm sold on this. Love the attention to detail wrt the fit.

I seem to have collected a great deal of X Wings in boxes, but the the Pro Shop 1:35 and a brace of Mk IV Salzo's are in there, so I'd be a later project target audience.

I don't see why not if it is at lest 1:48 scale. If I can find detailed information on the Salzo V4 to get the 12 or so critical dimensions I'll add it to the project list. Better yet if someone wants to loan me a model kit to take measurements from (you will get it back) that would be perfect. :D

I already have a loaner kit for the 1:35 Pro-Shop for that very purpose, which is the next project on the list.

When a 1:48 VII TFA X-Wing comes out this unit will be adapted to fit right in.

Ok, I just looked up a Salzo V4 kit. Forgive me for not recognizing the name. I recognized the images as soon as I saw them. As it is 1:24 scale a mechanism that could fit in them is already configuration number 3 on my project list. There are so many versions of this size out there I had decided to do a generic one for that scale once I have agreed upon basic dimensions and let people scratch build the mounting mates to put it in their model. Again, if there is someone out there who wants to loan me the body and wings of a 1:24 scale kit to take measurements from I will design it to fit that kit exactly and others can scratch fit the result into the other dozen 1:24 options out there.

Mike's builder kit would be perfect for this as people would be building their own wings anyway. What might be the best way to contact Mike? I would love to collaborate with him on this.

I'm sorry but I really don't get the premise.

You are building a way for the wings to open and close, as in....."look, I push a button and wings open and then close"

Is that correct?

To be honest your post appears sarcastic and at worst makes it seem like you have an attitude.

I asked a legitimate question. I don't know what he is trying to achieve???.....what is the point?

I respect any person who is building or attempting to build anything.

Maybe you should stop trolling (against RPF Rules) and stop baiting (against RPF Rules) and maybe you should build something??.:confused

My builds are in my sig and if you check my profile, you'll find I'm very supportive of any person building anything here on the RPF.

I do not appreciate your random unjustified comments......;)

Last edited:
Yes, he is trying to have a new wing mech because in all honesty most of the kit supplied ones suck ( especially the MPC ).

I would be down for a hero xwing mech at 1/17 for sure, hell even a MPC one as well.

How may I aquire one of these lovely pieces?

Thanks for posting the link to the video. I kept looking for the "spiindle to point the way", but couldn't find it. Cool solution to a big problem. Are you going to make a small hatch in the end to turn the mechanism?

I'm sorry but I really don't get the premise.

You are building a way for the wings to open and close, as in....."look, I push a button and wings open and then close"

Is that correct?

Ok, here comes an epistle.:p

In answer to your question. No. Did you watch the video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Q2ZbuiFAc&feature=youtu.be Since you are asking the question it tells me you might not be aware of the short comings with nearly all the existing wing operating mechanisms out there. I have to assume you have built the old 1:48 MPC X-wing. If so you have to agree that the wing pivot has much to be desired. If not then take my word for it. There are many out there who will agree. MPC is one of the worst ever.

As I mentioned in my project introduction post the basic premise is to correct the wonky out of sync wobbly operation of the wing pivot on my 1:48 MPC kit. I wanted to make a device that would fit completely inside my model (that's 2" of space) with no external armatures and could be operated manually or be motorized. It would provide a completely enclosed wing box so that you could not see through the model or into the back or front interiors. The wings would self lock in either the open or closed position so they would not drift one way or the other while on display. The unit would also correct the sagging of the wings and connect them so as to operate in perfect sync. It would also eliminate the independent rocking of the wings in the body. I'm pleased to say that the prototype mechanism accomplished all that or has the potential to quite nicely.

I was told that it was impossible at this scale and the mechanism would never work. The features are too small. You will never be able to make one. Don't waste your time. Nobody will be interested. Well, wrong on all counts so far. I'm not aware of anyone else out there who has accomplished this in such a compact method at this scale.

When it comes to the operation of the mechanism there will be two mode options. The manual operation will be through the servo bump on the back of the model. More another day on how I will accomplish that. The motorized version will be through a tiny motor in place of the manual extension of the drive shaft. I have 11 m of room to work with. Push a button to open or close the wings? I want way more than that. Why use a button? Here are the related features that will eventually fit under the unit and in front and behind the cockpit.

Rechargeable battery with a hidden USB charger port out the back
Lit engines, cockpit, and possibly R2. The power for the engine lights feeds through the mechanism with hidden micro wires.
A controller board with a sound chip of the wing operation.
Bluetooth interface for voice command control.

The end result? A model of an X-Wing with perfect wing operation from a completely self contained and powered unit free of wires and a base. Ambitious? Yes. I'll likely need a lot of help with this. Hence my introduction of the project on various forums.

The bonus is that I can easily modify the unit to do the same thing for 1:35, 1:24, and 1:17 scale X-wings.

I'm certain there are many other Star Wars fans out there who have dreamed of this very thing. :D

You could possibly even connect the mechanism's rod up to the butt plate and with a simple turn of the Airfix Harrow part turn the mechanism and thereby opening the wings. That would be :cool.

Just a thought. :D

Yes, he is trying to have a new wing mech because in all honesty most of the kit supplied ones suck ( especially the MPC ).

I would be down for a hero xwing mech at 1/17 for sure, hell even a MPC one as well.

How may I aquire one of these lovely pieces?

I see there were several post while I wrote my epistle. :)

With your request a 1:17 version is now officially on the project list as iteration number 4. PM-1D The Web page will be updated with it soon.

As for obtaining the MPC version you can wait till I have the production units created and pick one up off my web site (when I get that part set up) or if you can't wait I can squeeze in time to build you a hand crafted prototype at cost. They come numbered and signed. Number one is mine. :lol While more expensive than a production kit it just might be worth it for a few avid fans out there.

...I must say it is really fun to feel this thing work.

For the 1:17 scale version does anyone have a model they could loan me to take measurements from?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the link to the video. I kept looking for the "spiindle to point the way", but couldn't find it. Cool solution to a big problem. Are you going to make a small hatch in the end to turn the mechanism?

Well, that was one possibility. Another was just a simple hole through the back plate. Not cool enough. Then I came up with an awesome method that I think is pure genus! I was going to save the explanation for how the manual operation would work for another day when I could post the renderings of the concept at the same time but now... with the post below...

You could possibly even connect the mechanism's rod up to the butt plate and with a simple turn of the Airfix Harrow part turn the mechanism and thereby opening the wings. That would be :cool.

Just a thought. :D

Stole my thunder man! :lol

I was just explaining to my wife how this would work and that is exactly what will happen. So here is the verbal description.

I will cut the servo hub (Airfix Harrow part) out of the back of the model and put it on a tube slider roughly the same diameter as the round center part so that it can extend about 8 mm out from the back. This will have a thick plate on the end and hole through it the size of the drive shaft. When pulled out it will engage two toothed disks (one on the end of the drive shaft and the other on the end of the servo hub tube, that will allow you to open and close the wings. Once the wings are in the desired position you push it back in half way to disengage the drive and rotate it back to a vertical position. Push it all the way back in and it snaps back into place.

Very cool!:cool:cool:cool

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back