Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Multiple incorrect swords show up in POTC displays and Boromir has like 9 coats of different fatigue and are different colors when side by side. Color matching is a true nightmare, it will never be across all scenes. I once saw Boromir wearing a black coat while interviewing with reporters. His jacket was blue in the dvd extras about costuming. They color graded it to black digitally in the movie but here he stood wearing a black coat that did not match the blue coat from preproduction nor the hammered and torn Blue coat seen in the traveling museum display. Somewhere in the real world there is a black version. I saw him wear it in a live interview in full sunlight. It is maddening.

Last edited:
Multiple incorrect swords show up in POTC displays and Boromir has like 9 coats of different fatigue and are different colors when side by side. Color matching is a true nightmare, it will never be across all scenes. I once saw Boromir wearing a black coat while interviewing with reporters. His jacket was blue in the dvd extras about costuming. They color graded it to black digitally in the movie but here he stood wearing a black coat that did not match the blue coat from preproduction nor the hammered and torn Blue coat seen in the traveling museum display. Somewhere in the real world there is a black version. I saw him wear it in a live interview in full sunlight. It is maddening.
yes,it's a factor to be taken for what it is,I would say...I will go for my last try with dyes,then I will give myself peace (intended in the good sense)

did my best,and that's the result. Not exactly as the movie one (but which coat and which scene,then? I would say)
I won't try such a job again,because if I try 1000 times,probably 1000 times I will destroy the coat (there was no shortage of tense moments, with some errors repaired in non-visible areas).

So:
- slightly sanded the fabric (veeeery lite,with a simple sponge for washing dishes abrasive side soaked in alcohol),dried
- spray h2o based permanent dye FOR TEXTILE (at first some grey,wasn't satisfied so then just light hand emerald,absolutely not on the fabric,sprayed on a tactical selfmade sponge,then done a little area at a time,with very light dye quantity per time not to cover too much the original color (several tries and I was giving up because you really risk to mess up everything)
- heavily weathered the fur (it was already nice but now more uniform and dark,espresso and slate color from ranger tim holts alc inks,bep method,no otehr markers which did their job but was enough),faded with rag+isopropanol method + ironing with baking paper at the end. Slate was at first ordered for the fabric but that method doesn't work for that,I discovered it was a nice mix to add kinda dark tone to the fur together with others (0,5oz bottles slate 2x + 0,5oz bottle espresso just a bit more than half cause it's very strong pigment,in 3 times,every time diluted with about 40ml isopropanol in the sprayer)
- thermic gun fixing 100°C checked,(at least 4 inches from fabric)no heat surfaces direct contact,without exceeding each part, avoiding compromising the coating)
- the opposite of what I wrote time ago about washing for that cloth, but this time I wanted to be sure not to leave too much color residue,I took my risks: machine wash 30° short delicates no spin dry (hanging dry after washed,as in pic)
- everything in windy outdoor + gloves + mask

I don't believe I could do better,my goals were:
- remove a bit of (excessive) shine (it's already there and it's ok,a bit is definitely removed,when wet it seems almost like before)
- give a bit more of color (very light result but it seems quite SA to me,I was aiming for the dark aqua color of MESA scenes but without losing all the shine,I think I got it)
- have a more uniform and darkened distressing on the fur (done)

So,I think about this,that's all.
Thanks everybody,and be extremely careful if you try to dye the coat,it is possible,but quite impossible to explain (and also repeat,I fear) and lucky to have it done without losing your outerwear.

It may seem similar to SR cloth now and then even brighter and bluish if compared at movie pics I put aside,but I assure it is darker than what it seems,my ph sucks and pics are what they are but,at the bottom it is the same coat just few minutes after it was hanging outside,lite changes the exposure together with the iridescence (that is still there)

Attachments

• 1698770706948.jpg
    1698770706948.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Not to knock all the time you spent but you got the hole in one. I think you had an overall judgement set in your head prior and it served you well. Knowing how the phone camera software is tweaking your colors, especially luminosity, you pointing out the tab of old color still on the jacket makes my eyes really grasp the new lighter and now blue green colors in the coat. I am in awe of your weathering. Seriously superb work. I bet there was some breat holding on several steps.

Not to knock all the time you spent but you got the hole in one. I think you had an overall judgement set in your head prior and it served you well. Knowing how the phone camera software is tweaking your colors, especially luminosity, you pointing out the tab of old color still on the jacket makes my eyes really grasp the new lighter and now blue green colors in the coat. I am in awe of your weathering. Seriously superb work. I bet there was some breat holding on several steps.
I would have liked to have a piece of fabric for my tries,but the scrap I obtained from a tweak made three months ago on the strap was tiny, so I prefered messing with the inside of the sleeves (using the fabric parts, where they are still abundant and remain hidden) for my tries. Now,just so that nothing could remind me of what I went through, I re-dyed them, but certainly not being able to obtain the color of the original laminate, I made them with nero d'inferno (notorius italian ink which covers everything and is the same color as the lining,and in any case it's not even a visible part,this because,to obtain the aqua shades,I didn't cover so much the original color but only applied a thin layer that acted as a shade as I wanted it, otherwise the color would be too clear-cut,and the inner sleeves were too much messed,I needed a radical method to cover all that mess I made on that inner part).

Thanks, however I swear, it is not as much a lighter color as it seems in pics in my previous post which were taken today when the coat had just sorted out from the washer,in few dozen minutes apart.

The aqua touch that I got is now there, but not so heavy, and it was what I wanted, obviously I confirm that that must be an effect of this ******* phone which at the moment is what I can use, then once I'll do something outside that's worth it, maybe I'll bring the drone with me, maybe with natural light and half clouds (which would be perfect), one day when I'll have time and opportunity. I think I will wait for some natural aging of the padding (I bet it will deflate a little, getting at least a little closer to the consistency of the sleeves) and the quilting,then I will go for it when time to replace the lining and I will put a thicker one.

I repeat, I absolutely wouldn't know how to replicate it, or rather I would know, but I'm sure it wouldn't give me guarantees that it would be done safely and with an acceptable color like the one released.
Attached,couple pics (same phone) from when I received it months ago (I had only already done the first application on the fur),it was shinier,and more of an asphalt dark color).

If someone will try,be extremely careful with dyes,and if ever managed to get the right color and application on the cloth,be even more careful with thermic fixing, which must necessarily be done, but here it is truly inexplicable (in fact a small part of the inside of the sleeve, which fortunately has a double layer of fabric, I didn't tore it, but the ironing burned the coating , I then masked everything well even if you can't see it, but it's ******* scary).

For this thermic fixation: thermic gun (reasonable temp) > ironing (DO NOT iron the laminated cotton,since even low temp and baking paper,there's too much of a contact with hot surface for that)

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_233217.jpg
    IMG_20230731_233217.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20230626_213227.jpg
    IMG_20230626_213227.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20230725_160851.jpg
    IMG_20230725_160851.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20230702_165702.jpg
    IMG_20230702_165702.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I would have liked to have a piece of fabric for my tries,but the scrap I obtained from a tweak made three months ago on the strap was tiny, so I prefered messing with the inside of the sleeves (using the fabric parts, where they are still abundant and remain hidden) for my tries. Now,just so that nothing could remind me of what I went through, I re-dyed them, but certainly not being able to obtain the color of the original laminate, I made them with nero d'inferno (notorius italian ink which covers everything and is the same color as the lining,and in any case it's not even a visible part,this because,to obtain the aqua shades,I didn't cover so much the original color but only applied a thin layer that acted as a shade as I wanted it, otherwise the color would be too clear-cut,and the inner sleeves were too much messed,I needed a radical method to cover all that mess I made on that inner part).

Thanks, however I swear, it is not as much a lighter color as it seems in pics in my previous post which were taken today when the coat had just sorted out from the washer,in few dozen minutes apart.

The aqua touch that I got is now there, but not so heavy, and it was what I wanted, obviously I confirm that that must be an effect of this ******* phone which at the moment is what I can use, then once I'll do something outside that's worth it, maybe I'll bring the drone with me, maybe with natural light and half clouds (which would be perfect), one day when I'll have time and opportunity.

I repeat, I absolutely wouldn't know how to replicate it, or rather I would know, but I'm sure it wouldn't give me guarantees that it would be done safely and with an acceptable color like the one released.
Attached,couple pics (same phone) from when I received it months ago (I had only already done the first application on the fur),it was shinier,and more of an asphalt dark color).

If someone will try,be extremely careful with dyes,and if ever managed to get the right color and application on the cloth,be even more careful with thermic fixing, which must necessarily be done, but here it is truly inexplicable (in fact a small part of the inside of the sleeve, which fortunately has a double layer of fabric, I didn't tore it, but the ironing burned the coating , I then masked everything well even if you can't see it, but it's ******* scary).

For this thermic fixation: thermic gun (reasonably temp) > ironing (DO NOT iron the laminated cotton,since even low temp and baking paper,there's too much of a contact with hot surface for that)

Working on such a tight range of shade but still pulling out a color difference and the one that was being sought, well done. I did a recent hat build and it was to be dark when complete. All the advice I had seen was to start at brown or tan and dirty it up. I did the opposite. I started with a black and layed washes of light colors over it. It just looks like a nasty dirty hat, not like I started with black. Very similar process.

Working on such a tight range of shade but still pulling out a color difference and the one that was being sought, well done. I did a recent hat build and it was to be dark when complete. All the advice I had seen was to start at brown or tan and dirty it up. I did the opposite. I started with a black and layed washes of light colors over it. It just looks like a nasty dirty hat, not like I started with black. Very similar process.
Actually, I must admit that at the beginning I DID NOT exactly have the how in mind, but a little experience gained with other jobs in the past helped me, together with the possibility of carrying out the necessary tests at least on the inner sleeves.

I admitted that it's not exactly like the typical gray of scenes like Voight-Kampff File/Wallace Corp/Joshi's office etc, but I was more looking for a resemblance to the cloudy exterior shots like Mesa and the beginning of the film, without losing too much of its shine (which comes out especially when it takes in a little water, returning almost the same as before), and its tone still remains dark, and I must say that today, having just woken up and it well finished drying, all in all, I'm even more satisfied than last night, I can hardly believe it myself, the work was so unpredictable, tense and complicated.

I thank everyone, a particular thank you to Mechanismo with whom I had constant contact, we stressed each other out over the smallest details, and probably without this, I would not have been encouraged to get this far.
Jameel Ur who provided the dark color based laminated coat, with some gaps but still all the effort put into this thread in trying to optimize the construction details of the model, which I imagine is never easy since I made a coat myself and I'm not a real tailor, but I only have a few (albeit fairly well-founded) skills; I could suggest him to follow some proportions indicated by Mechanismo (we found ourselves with different views on some things, but generally he took us with insightful analysis, although reviewing the models is a complex and technical job), to increase the thickness of the lining which in fact, after having used the coat a little, I still find a good insulating effect but it is easily compromised in the structure and would fill the coat a little better making it even more SA an also (not needed for me) warmer (I think it will be the only detail that I could still deal with later, if necessary and I have time and opportunity,it'd be worth it especially for the shoulder-sleeves part to be uniformly padded), and of course, if he found a laminated duck like this (therefore the canvas of the film which probably also has greater sturdiness than a twill base fabric like this) , maybe already in the right color, would be the best...

Probably it is even possible to use some grey further improving the color to reach an even more SA level,but I think I had enough and I've been lucky enough,so as a well-known Italian singer said...I wanna live without ever asking too much at chances.

At the moment it seems perfectly fixed (after two wash cycles,the fur keeps the worked result perfectly, and also the coat).
I've just tried to re-wet the collar,and the result is always the same yersterday (shine and darker aspect comes back to fabric,fur darkens when wet as SA rain scenes).
Fully satisfied.

Yes,I find a bit more challenging to start from a very dark color,but maybe even safer (it'd be easy to do messes on bright colors to cover with something darker,you might not have so much room to cover if you can't do tries on a very similar fabric).

That good,I think it is also that it seems perfectly stable when washed,but for other times,I will go handly as it should be on kinda stuff (supposedly,no more washing machine cycles...waxed or simply dirtied up clothes are a bit more complicated for that: you'll risk having a need for repeating the dyeing process every time you wash it if not carefully and properly I don't even know how).

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_103236.jpg
    IMG_20231104_103236.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20231104_111112.jpg
    IMG_20231104_111112.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20231104_111120.jpg
    IMG_20231104_111120.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20231104_111125.jpg
    IMG_20231104_111125.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20231104_103227.jpg
    IMG_20231104_103227.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20231104_103221.jpg
    IMG_20231104_103221.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20231104_111924.jpg
    IMG_20231104_111924.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20231104_111341.jpg
    IMG_20231104_111341.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20231104_111151.jpg
    IMG_20231104_111151.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20231104_111125.jpg
    IMG_20231104_111125.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20231104_112934.jpg
    IMG_20231104_112934.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20231104_113302.jpg
    IMG_20231104_113302.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20231104_113310.jpg
    IMG_20231104_113310.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20231104_112024.jpg
    IMG_20231104_112024.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20231104_131539.jpg
    IMG_20231104_131539.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20231104_131530.jpg
    IMG_20231104_131530.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20231104_214457.jpg
    IMG_20231104_214457.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20231104_214447.jpg
    IMG_20231104_214447.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20231104_215218.jpg
    IMG_20231104_215218.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20231105_100406.jpg
    IMG_20231105_100406.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Actually, I must admit that at the beginning I DID NOT exactly have the how in mind, but a little experience gained with other jobs in the past helped me, together with the possibility of carrying out the necessary tests at least on the inner sleeves.

I admitted that it's not exactly like the typical gray of scenes like Voight-Kampff File/Wallace Corp/Joshi's office etc, but I was more looking for a resemblance to the cloudy exterior shots like Mesa and the beginning of the film, without losing too much of its shine (which comes out especially when it takes in a little water, returning almost the same as before), and its tone still remains dark, and I must say that today, having just woken up and it well finished drying, all in all, I'm even more satisfied than last night, I can hardly believe it myself, the work was so unpredictable, tense and complicated.

I thank everyone, a particular thank you to Mechanismo with whom I had constant contact, we stressed each other out over the smallest details, and probably without this, I would not have been encouraged to get this far.
Jameel Ur who provided the dark color based laminated coat, with some gaps but still all the effort put into this thread in trying to optimize the construction details of the model, which I imagine is never easy since I made a coat myself and I'm not a real tailor, but I only have a few (albeit fairly well-founded) skills; I could suggest him to follow some proportions indicated by Mechanismo (we found ourselves with different views on some things, but generally he took us with insightful analysis, although reviewing the models is a complex and technical job), to increase the thickness of the lining which in fact, after having used the coat a little, I still find a good insulating effect but it is easily compromised in the structure and would fill the coat a little better making it even more SA an also (not needed for me) warmer (I think it will be the only detail that I could still deal with later, if necessary and I have time and opportunity,it'd be worth it especially for the shoulder-sleeves part to be uniformly padded), and of course, if he found a laminated duck like this (therefore the canvas of the film which probably also has greater sturdiness than a twill base fabric like this) , maybe already in the right color, would be the best...

Probably it is even possible to use some grey further improving the color to reach an even more SA level,but I think I had enough and I've been lucky enough,so as a well-known Italian singer said...I wanna live without ever asking too much at chances.

At the moment it seems perfectly fixed (after two wash cycles,the fur keeps the worked result perfectly, and also the coat).
I've just tried to re-wet the collar,and the result is always the same yersterday (shine and darker aspect comes back to fabric,fur darkens when wet as SA rain scenes).
Fully satisfied.

Yes,I find a bit more challenging to start from a very dark color,but maybe even safer (it'd be easy to do messes on bright colors to cover with something darker,you might not have so much room to cover if you can't do tries on a very similar fabric).

That good,I think it is also that it seems perfectly stable when washed,but for other times,I will go handly as it should be on kinda stuff (supposedly,no more washing machine cycles...waxed or simply dirtied up clothes are a bit more complicated for that: you'll risk having a need for repeating the dyeing process every time you wash it if not carefully and properly I don't even know how).
Congratulations, CountLau! I think all the hard work and dedication you've invested in this very tricky process has paid off nicely. The pictures speak for themselves. It's great to see how different -and often experimental- approaches are taken in an ongoing effort to steer these coats towards the most SA versions of themselves as possible. Nice work!

I would say SR.
looking at this vid,if it is,the color is very good,even more than I thought watching the pics I've seen till now.
About collar and lapels shape details and about that carpet-like fur,well,it is a well known issue
Definitely a SR. On the positive side, I agree, the color and fabric look nice -as well as the quilting and drape. Very solid. But... then we have that unwieldy collar, carpet shearling, drooping lapels and zero structure in the shoulder panels. Once again, it's a pity SR is so indifferent about fixing or even improving any of these glaring issues.

I just wanted to post some side-by-sides with those behind-the-scenes screencaps I posted recently of my custom WSL with some natural, overcast light. The coat looks slightly more green here...

1699286237546.jpg

1699286260754.jpg

Two aspects that I'm noticing more and more is how robustly quilted the movie coat its distinctive drape on the sleeves. When it comes to its lining and quilting, this is something that WSL does extremely well. It's a heavy coat. That said, after having coated the coat twice,
its creasing and drape is due in no small part to the heavy waxing which gives it an almost leather-like texture and feel. So, to me, this raises a bigger question...can duck cotton achieve that degree of texture without waxing? Is is possible the movie coat was waxed in some way?

1699286527359.png

In any case, this is a heavily quilted coat and coat makers need to keep this in mind.

I can't speak for Soul Revolver (which looks to be quite robust quilting-wise -just look at their sleeves) but when it comes to ELS/Big Effect Props, despite having beautiful, structured shoulder panels and piping, their coat is very light on the quilting.

Last edited:
I just wanted to post some side-by-sides with those behind-the-scenes screencaps I posted recently of my custom WSL with some natural, overcast light. The coat looks slightly more green here...

View attachment 1759200
View attachment 1759201

Two aspects that I'm noticing more and more is how robustly quilted the movie coat its distinctive drape on the sleeves. When it comes to its lining and quilting, this is something that WSL does extremely well. It's a heavy coat. That said, after having coated the coat twice,
its creasing and drape is due in no small part to the heavy waxing which gives it an almost leather-like texture and feel. So, to me, this raises a bigger question...can duck cotton achieve that degree of texture without waxing? Is is possible the movie coat was waxed in some way?

View attachment 1759209
In any case, this is a heavily quilted coat and coat makers need to keep this in mind.

I can't speak for Soul Revolver (which looks to be quite robust quilting-wise -just look at their sleeves) but when it comes to ELS/Big Effect Props, despite having beautiful, structured shoulder panels and piping, their coat is very light on the quilting.
can duck cotton achieve that degree of texture without waxing...

without having seen any original one in person (and even touched), difficult to say exactly what they used for the movie, I would say pul or eva or acrylic,would not say wax but I was not there to see when they made it...
there are many different types of laminated cloth,so...
if it is the right type and of a good quality,yes.

Can duck cotton exist on the market as a rightly laminated cloth of the right color? I fear,that's the great question

Last edited:
Further to my post above, here's a side-by-side example that showcases WSL's high-end, robust quilting/lining as compared to BEP/ELS' thinner, cheaper equivalent. This is something to bear in mind both in terms of the coats' overall heft as well as warmth.

1699380152661.png

Furthermore, WSL's lining also looks to be practically identical to the one we see on screen:

1699381279282.png

Last edited:
Sorry to break away from the coat, but i didn't see any other posts about this. sorry if this has already been mentioned on the forum.

i was watching BR2049 again, for the hundredth or so time haha, and I noticed he was wearing a different pair of boots during the orphanage scene. looking closely at the pattern on the rubber part of the soles I think I may have identified them as the "Maelstrom Tac Force 8" boots. What do you guys think?

1699431188375.png

I

Sorry to break away from the coat, but i didn't see any other posts about this. sorry if this has already been mentioned on the forum.

i was watching BR2049 again, for the hundredth or so time haha, and I noticed he was wearing a different pair of boots during the orphanage scene. looking closely at the pattern on the rubber part of the soles I think I may have identified them as the "Maelstrom Tac Force 8" boots. What do you guys think?

View attachment 1759752
I
personally,I prefer my bates strike, wouldn't trade for those,but I didn't ever see in person,maybe the Maelstrom are very good too,I like more bates for the checks and those seem bulkier to me,however...well...every day a brand new detail is coming out from this movie character,it seems made to make people going crazy for such many ways it could be cosplayed :)

personally,I prefer my bates strike, wouldn't trade for those,but I didn't ever see in person,maybe the Maelstrom are very good too,I like more bates for the checks and those seem bulkier to me,however...well...every day a brand new detail is coming out from this movie character,it seems made to make people going crazy for such many ways it could be cosplayed :)
Oh I definitely think the bates shock/strike are better looking. I'm just one of those wierdos who wants all the variations of the look hahaha.

View attachment 1759752
I
Nice catch!

Last edited:
Oh I definitely think the bates shock/strike are better looking. I'm just one of those wierdos who wants all the variations of the look hahaha.
yes,I've just taken this still,definitely not bates strike...
as also discussed with Greenmachines, another confirmation of how many different but apparently identical objects they used in the film, and how unthinkable it is to think of having them all in one, idealizing a single cosplay, while there are clearly different versions and choices possible regarding probably every part of his outfit

Attachments

• boots.jpg
    boots.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 46

View attachment 1759752
I
I can confirm the heal looks to be a dead match but the movie image loses too much detail near the overlapping leather portions. I am not seeing the leather pattern as a match due to the lines being blurred. Couple that with the fact that in the ad for the boot, I can't tell if I am looking at the inside leg side of the shoe or the outside. If it is the inside, the match would be difficult with the comp pic. However, unless this model of boot (the right hand ad picture) has its own variants, I would say my vote is yes, it's a match.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back