Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

In the end,other tweaks have come (buckram,new lining,new color,magnets repositioning,quilting).

Full recap,from when received the coat (just the ones still there to make the very final result):
- fur distressing (alcohol inks: 1st hand mushroom+gunmetal,2nd slate+espresso;brown+black markers touches,isopropanol fading hand work) + trimming + baking paper very lite ironing (fur side only)
- strap too long and closure not SA = strap shortened and repositioned,buckle repositioned,tricky tweaks to the stitches and others put to make the lower edge of the collar shift a bit over the upper edge of the left lapel
- magnets added (at this day,one on the left chest to match the folded left collar corner,two more on left lapel and collar to better hold the opening
- slightly sanded + emerald spray dye (sponge,very little at a time) + petrol spray dye + grey spray dye = to reach a more SA and less over-shiny look
- lining full replacement (too weak and sleeves not well filled) = new top-notch one (opaque,less SA but very sturdy good looking and features two more inside pockets) and dedicated work to sleeves quilting
- hook-n-eye repositioning and re-shaping (perfect closure,more SA and tailored + no more random opening)
- zip added to original inside pocket
- synthetic buckram added to collar and lapels (sewed + ironing to paste it) + half-moon shaped neoprene piece at the base of the neck inside the collar (SA detail,clearly visible when k approaching sapper's house)

Now it's the best I think you can make with this coat. Imo,this coat was still the best on the market (but laminated ran out),but it imperatively needed tweaks to be that good: other noticeable k coats vendors are way off on many details,but if you do not aim to be as more SA as possible,and you settle for a cute coat just "k inspired" and which is wearable immediately without modifications, maybe SR is the way to go but they won't hear about nothing to be customized,give weird infos about their own coat,and the price is unthinkable for a coat that with its non-removable letters on the back but for first of all (for cosplayers who wants the lettering) the fur and that collar-shoulder-lapels model, it ridiculously aspires to be top SA when it probably has a lot of quality but it's clear it can't be,wsl is great value for money but no laminated cotton and you have to heavily modify all the coat,magnoli still not laminated and many details off,but good quality coat (with a price slightly lower than sr).

So,since when you receive this one it has a fur in a dreadful yellow but which is very good to be tweaked,imho:
- you don't wanna reach top SA level,wanna a quality ready-to-go coat = buy waxed wsl (or if you need laminated at all cost but mandatorily with lettering,the nice'n'pricy SR hoping their non-customized size will fit right on you)
- your goal is get mistaken for a blade runner's replicant badass when around = buy els/bep + be prepared at least to immediately distress the fur (you have to practice on other fabrics and it's not obvious, but it's doable and worth it) and,depending on which SA level do you aim,be prepared to spend other money for a lot of minor (but absolutely needed) tweaks. But at this day,no more laminated cotton from els/bep...so maybe better wait to have it again and hopefully in the right duck canvas texture? uncoated duck and waxed-like duck now left,do not seem that SA to me (and uncoated has any waterproof properties,the other one is kinda stiff and opaque...).

Now here couple pics work-in-progress with the very final touches (grey still to be put onto the fabric trying to get a brighter tone,and without the lining which we are implementing correctly and will be resewed to the coat soon).
More of a bluyish-greyish hue now,recovered a bit the shine lost with my previous step,and lapels and collar are way tougher and better shaped with the buckram-neoprene combo,no more floppy look.
The new lining (here put on for a moment not sewn just to show the result, still to be fixed to the coat) give the right consistence to the sleeves better respecting proportions (no more of a "jump" from the significant shoulder panel padding to the sleeves).

Coming soon with pics wearing the very final version of this notorious coat...(just to resew that lining,and try to get an even more SA color with that grey)

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_140820.jpg
    IMG_20231121_140820.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20231121_140827.jpg
    IMG_20231121_140827.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20231121_140837.jpg
    IMG_20231121_140837.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20231122_165259.jpg
    IMG_20231122_165259.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20231122_165319.jpg
    IMG_20231122_165319.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20231122_165340.jpg
    IMG_20231122_165340.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
hey everyone,
which coat do you recommend for first time buyers (that don't want to do any modification after purchase) ?
searched for user posted pictures, so I can see how they look in real life in different lighting conditions, these were my conclusions, I could be wrong tho that's why I'm asking you guys:

I was looking at the magnoli, but it seems too bright of a green color,
and the soul revolver seems too shiny to me, not that diffuse color like in the movie.

for the fabric I like the big effect props one the most (the waxed green/grey), but not sure how the shearling is.
is it accurate to the movie? or do I need to replace it afterwards?
is this coat good quality and screen accurate as well?
can it be made with sherpa fleece?

tbh I would be ok with the soul revolver coat because seems really high quality and warm, so I can use it on the streets,
but don't want to spend any extra on modifications after spending 500 for it

what are you guys recommending?
any help is appreciated

thank you

Last edited:
hey everyone,
which coat do you recommend for first time buyers (that don't want to do any modification after purchase) ?
searched for user posted pictures, so I can see how they look in real life in different lighting conditions, these were my conclusions, I could be wrong tho that's why I'm asking you guys:

and the soul revolver seems too shiny to me, not that diffuse color like in the movie.

for the fabric I like the big effect props one the most (the waxed green/grey), but not sure how the shearling is.

tbh I would be ok with the soul revolver coat because seems really high quality and warm, so I can use it on the streets,

any help is appreciated

thank you
on this long-standing thread, many have expressed their opinion on the matter, and thanks to the feedback and detailed analyzes that have emerged during the work, in particular thanks to some of us (although I joined the discussion only this year), over time Jameel and few others worked to make the necessary adjustments to get as close as possible in detail to k's coat.

As per my recent latest examination, if what you are looking for is the maximum resemblance to the coat from the film, I say els/bep (Jameel), but as also highlighted by Jameel himself here, you can (but I should say you have to) do the distressing of the fur, actually not that simple procedure, but doable, and here I don't know of anyone who has had the right result immediately without having to mess with it after the purchase, from anyone who purchased it.

I'm still tweaking mine, but I have to admit that for me it's now a challenge, a half-obsession, a matter of principle, in wanting to obtain the highest SA and at the same time a personal touch and the necessary ease of use, ambitious things to have all together, utopian without having to mess around heavily after the purchase.

Therefore to date my advice is the same as what I have already written:
- you don't want to make changes after the purchase = no chances to be accurately similar to the film, but without spending a penny after the purchase, SR in my opinion is a nice coat but it's anyway too expensive for what it is, so at that point I'd say wsl waxed even if it's less SA if not very heavily modified
- you think that over time you might decide to rethink it and make some changes (assuming that at least for the faux fur shearling, you'll do it as soon as you receive the coat even before using it out and about) = go for els/bep (but laminated ran out, so maybe the waxed-like option even if it seems completely opaque? the SA details are the best anyway,some other details need much of a fixing to be at top level,but about the fabric now available...must be your choice)

Last edited:
Bonjour à tous, ceci est mon premier message sur le forum.
Je suis français et fan de Blade Runner.
J'aimerais investir dans le manteau de K, comme beaucoup d'entre vous ici.
Après réflexion et étude de vos messages ici, j'envisage d'acheter le modèle WSL ciré.
Je trouve que c'est un bon rapport qualité/prix et que la fourrure ressemble le plus au manteau du film.
Qu'en penses-tu ?
Pourriez-vous me donner des conseils?
merci
Antoine

on this long-standing thread, many have expressed their opinion on the matter, and thanks to the feedback and detailed analyzes that have emerged during the work, in particular thanks to some of us (although I joined the discussion only this year), over time Jameel and few others worked to make the necessary adjustments to get as close as possible in detail to k's coat.

As per my recent latest examination, if what you are looking for is the maximum resemblance to the coat from the film, I say els/bep (Jameel), but as also highlighted by Jameel himself here, you can (but I should say you have to) do the distressing of the fur, actually not that simple procedure, but doable, and here I don't know of anyone who has had the right result immediately without having to mess with it after the purchase, from anyone who purchased it.

I'm still tweaking mine, but I have to admit that for me it's now a challenge, a half-obsession, a matter of principle, in wanting to obtain the highest SA and at the same time a personal touch and the necessary ease of use, ambitious things to have all together, utopian without having to mess around heavily after the purchase.

Therefore to date my advice is the same as what I have already written:
- you don't want to make changes after the purchase = no chances to be accurately similar to the film, but without spending a penny after the purchase, SR in my opinion is a nice coat but it's anyway too expensive for what it is, so at that point I'd say wsl waxed even if it's less SA if not very heavily modified
- you think that over time you might decide to rethink it and make some changes (assuming that at least for the faux fur shearling, you'll do it as soon as you receive the coat even before using it out and about) = go for els/bep (but laminated ran out, so maybe the waxed-like option even if it seems completely opaque? the SA details are the best anyway,some other details need much of a fixing to be at top level,but about the fabric now available...must be your choice)
Cannot recommend Jameel enough, he’s handled other projects for me in the past and always done great work

Bonjour à tous, ceci est mon premier message sur le forum.
Je suis français et fan de Blade Runner.
J'aimerais investir dans le manteau de K, comme beaucoup d'entre vous ici.
Après réflexion et étude de vos messages ici, j'envisage d'acheter le modèle WSL ciré.
Je trouve que c'est un bon rapport qualité/prix et que la fourrure ressemble le plus au manteau du film.
Qu'en penses-tu ?
Pourriez-vous me donner des conseils?
merci
Antoine
le matériau du wsl, selon la personne qui a travaillé ici le plus dur pour optimiser les détails du sien pour le rendre le plus similaire possible à celui du film, est excellent ainsi que le rembourrage et la qualité en général, mais en ce qui concerne les proportions et à certains détails du travail effectué pour le rendre le plus proche possible du film, il ne me semble pas que celui de bep/els (jameel) puisse être mieux comparé, même si après de nombreux changements que j'ai jugés nécessaires comme d'autres, il faut dire qui sans le modifier, présente quelques manques dont le principal est clairement la couleur de la fourrure.

Cela dit, je répète donc la même chose dite plus haut :
WSL ciré si tu ne souhaite pas t'engager radicalement dans sa modification (ou SR si vous avez de l'argent à jeter et que vous êtes passionné par le stratifié), ou bien BEP/ELS sinon, avec les modifications nécessaires à apporter après l'achat, l'intention est de se rapprocher le plus possible des détails de forme du film (mais à ce jour le tissu laminé qui a la bonne brillance est fini,et la mienne que tu peut observer dans les photos au dessus,je l'ai acheté quand ce tissu était encore disponible)

Merci pour vos messages.
Pourquoi SR et magnoli sont-ils beaucoup plus chers que wsl ? Qu'est-ce qui justifie cette augmentation ? Est-ce justifié ?
Je pense que l'abundance des critiques visible ici sur ce thread, parfois constructives parfois moins, bien sûr, parle d'elle-même (et je pourrais faire un j'accuse implicite pour cela, mais de toute façon il y a toujours une raison).
Personnellement, je pense que Magnoli est très professionnel, mais je ne pense pas devoir dépenser ne serait-ce que leur prix pour un manteau qui n'est pas laminé ou qui présente des détails aussi proches du film que celui de Jameel.

Non, à mon humble avis, je ne considère absolument pas que la différence de prix vaut l'achat pour les duex plus chers.
Donc, encore un fois, je dis wsl ou els/bep sans aucun doute avec la note ci-dessus (sauf raisons particulières).

Excuse me but no SR or wsl site answers me...
I have one last question: in your opinion should I take it waxed or not? What will be the difference at wsl?
THANKS

I have one last question: in your opinion should I take it waxed or not? What will be the difference at wsl?
THANKS

Barbour jackets are the "waxed" classics, look very nice and are notoriusly tricky to clean, and periodically, have a need for rewaxing; but I saw also jackets made in waxed cotton that are easier to be handled (even some waxed cotton thread I found, that seem to be sold as withstanding some washer cycles), dunno if the waxed-like fabric Jameel is still selling as his last coated option left, could handle this, but the "waxed" argument, I always find it hard to be fully understood if you don't have the garment in front of you to be seen and touched properly...

The one here who I read and appreciate for his efforts in order to give suggestions about the coat and illustrations (wsl buyer) about the work he made on his coat, I understand that he bought it unwaxed and then waxed it himself with Barbour wax.

Honestly, if I have to go for a wsl now, I'd choose the native-waxed option hoping it will come in kinda laminated cloth, cause I personally find the self-made waxing or even real waxing (as Barbour) garments, precisely, trickly to handle. But, maybe I'm wrong, since here I didn't read any feedback from any native-waxed wsl buyer, it will be a surprise...
The main reason cause I won't choose nothing but a laminate (or waxed, so only coated) is 1 to be SA or at least wth a bit a of a shine (costume designer from the movie, clearly said k coat it's a laminated cotton) and 2 I want kinda protection more from bad weather, more than uncoated for sure.

About your lack of answers from them, dunno how it is to deal with wsl, about SR instead it doesn't suprise me, but except if they changed recently their product, I definitely saw it as an acrylic laminated cotton (top-notch quality).

Last edited:
THANKS
I would say, if you're going to go for a WSL, definitely wax it yourself. It's a little laborious, but not difficult. I've put on two coatings of Barbour wax over the years and it's totally worth it on many fronts.

hey everyone,

any help is appreciated

thank you
So leaving aside $500+ premium Magnoli and SR coats (both of which have significant design flaws) you’re left with two moderately priced options: Customized WSL or ELS/BEP.

I own both coats so here’s my very quick overview:

ELS/BEP:
PROS: Overall, the design is solid, nice additional details (magnets, piping etc).
CONS: flimsy, cheap quilting/lining, inaccurate shearling
PRICE: ($380).

WSL:
PROS: quality, robust quilting, nice coat body design (terrific SA lapel patterns)
CONS: wrong collar design (but they’ll customize with instructions)* inaccurate shearling.
PRICE: ($220).

Comments: ELS/BEP has some wonderful features but it definitely feels like a Cosplay garment. It's lightweight. Given the moderate-to-high price ($380) their quilting/lining should be far better quality.

EDIT: here are some comparison pics I posted earlier. They speak for themselves, I think:

1701525876785.png

WSL, despite being significantly less expensive, it has far superior quilting and, after heavy waxing, has more of a SA structured, upholstered appearance. But, as far as I know, details like magnet placing and piping effect is something they pretty much ignore (unless specified?)

If you want to have proper shearling, in both cases you're going to have to get that sorted out post-sale with another tailor and sourcing some suitable, more SA shearling.

So, it's a bit of a toss up... If you want more of a “ready-to-wear” coat that brings together most of the characteristics of a decent K coat -as it stands- I’d say BEP/ESL is an attractive option. However, you want to put in a bit of extra effort with a custom WSL (waxing etc), ultimately, it's a far more solid coat -and also significantly less expensive.

Last edited:
So leaving aside $500+ premium Magnoli and SR coats (both of which have significant design flaws) you’re left with two moderately priced options: Customized WSL or ELS/BEP.

I own both coats so here’s my very quick overview:

ELS/BEP:
PROS: Overall, the design is solid, nice additional details (magnets, piping etc).
CONS: flimsy, cheap quilting/lining, inaccurate shearling
PRICE: ($380).

WSL:
PROS: quality, robust quilting, nice coat body design (terrific SA lapel patterns)
CONS: wrong collar design (but they’ll customize with instructions)* inaccurate shearling.
PRICE: ($220).

Comments: ELS/BEP has some wonderful features but it definitely feels like a Cosplay garment. It's lightweight. Given the moderate-to-high price ($380) their quilting/lining should be far better quality.

WSL, while being significantly less expensive, has far superior quilting and it has more of a SA structured appearance (especially after heavy waxing). But, as far as I know, details like magnet placing and piping effect is something they pretty much ignore (unless specified?)

If you want to have proper shearling, in both cases you're going to have to get that sorted out post-sale with another tailor and sourcing some suitable, more SA shearling.

So, it's a bit of a toss up... If you want more of a “ready-to-wear” coat that brings together most of the characteristics of a decent K coat -as it stands- I’d say BEP/ESL is an attractive option. However, you want to put in a bit of extra effort with a custom WSL (waxing etc), ultimately, it's a far more solid coat -and also significantly less expensive.
In the end, it seems to me that we say about the same thing in different ways :)
even if I consider the bep/els coat (made in real laminated) the easier one to tweak (but without at least distressing the fur,definitely not ready-to-wear,cause I would have never gone out of my home wearing it with that original fur in that color), and since some features concerning the design, I find quite impossible to replicate and to explain to someone who should mess with an original wsl.

About the bep/els coat to be lightweight, I must say that mine, after sanded and (now many times) tweaked with other (health-friendly, as some sheet I sent you pvt, u know...) chemicals, and (on the way to be finished) way better lining and quiliting details, buckram+neoprene etc, now it has a definitely sturdier appearance to the touch also.

As I said previously, twill (except some particularly thick types, but I certainly couldn't blame it, since it seems clear to me that it's not easy to find a proper laminate for this job) normally has a lighter consistence than duck canvas:
it would be nice to understand if that laminate is back (on els site, today I can see the version as available...?) and if there are chances to have it in the right duck canvas texture. The color is probably a more difficult aspect, hard to expect having everything in one fabric when even the film crew had to work hard on it, but I have the impression that I managed to find a decent solution for that (definitely tricky and difficult to obtain, but I'm just a man, and if I can do it, others, with effort and luck, probably could too...), so I would say first of all we might have a need for right fabric shaped to SA details.

Laminated duck canvas (if it will ever exist for that) would probably have the right consistence (and I think we had already argued that, although it is not laminated, the wsl is in duck canvas texture actually).

Last edited:
here in Turin, covid is back in force, the weather is often inadequate (too hot before winter has come or too adverse like today with snow and rain), so although I still have to close some points of the lining, I decided to fly the drone indoors and try to do a final shooting to better understand the final result obtained with all the changes I had illustrated.

Although the increase in padding has created some problems for the magnet on the right chest to close the coat (here wearing the thickest winter shirt I have, if you inflate the chest it inevitably comes loose, I fixed that adding another magnet aside so that the coat close indipendently from the thickness of the sweater and stays snug, also because the problem was only for that magnet, others work fine anyway), and although I might re-evaluate a slight removal of the shoulder panel padding (now way too swollen, but that's to be expected), has now become a real heavy winter coat, and overall, I think it's impossible that I could ask for anything better than this.

The final color, although in the end I tried other tests with the addition of sky blue, cannot be lightened more (I had tested a lighter gray but it has to be a matt finish, and too opaque, in the end you mess with fabric and color instead of improving it).
The drone's camera should allow you to have at least another example (not with the same not photographically excellent one as my smartphone) of the nuances with various lights, even if today it is really worthy of blade runner rain scene and an example of warm light is missing, but it never seems to give me a chance for that to be shot.

Regarding the lining and buckram, I agree with Mechanismo , as the new top-notch one is thicker, and together with that buckram added to my neoprene (as I wrote I put it in the lapels also, not limiting the tweak to the collar), they have given excellent structure...buckram sundaram :)

PS: (for any drone user) be aware that magnets on the coat heavily affect drone stability if it's close to you

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_124301.jpg
    IMG_20231208_124301.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 93
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.22_[2023.12.08_13.59.08].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.22_[2023.12.08_13.59.08].jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 86
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.44_[2023.12.08_13.59.47].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.44_[2023.12.08_13.59.47].jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.53_[2023.12.08_14.00.07].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.53_[2023.12.08_14.00.07].jpg
    97 KB · Views: 78
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.54_[2023.12.08_14.00.16].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.54_[2023.12.08_14.00.16].jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_09.02_[2023.12.08_14.00.36].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_09.02_[2023.12.08_14.00.36].jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_09.12_[2023.12.08_14.00.58].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_09.12_[2023.12.08_14.00.58].jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_09.17_[2023.12.08_14.01.10].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_09.17_[2023.12.08_14.01.10].jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20231208_142050.jpg
    IMG_20231208_142050.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.15_[2023.12.08_13.58.54].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_08.15_[2023.12.08_13.58.54].jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_07.45_[2023.12.08_13.58.13].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_07.45_[2023.12.08_13.58.13].jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_07.23_[2023.12.08_13.57.20].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_07.23_[2023.12.08_13.57.20].jpg
    112 KB · Views: 72
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_00.48_[2023.12.08_13.51.45].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_00.48_[2023.12.08_13.51.45].jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_01.41_[2023.12.08_13.52.48].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_01.41_[2023.12.08_13.52.48].jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_01.48_[2023.12.08_13.53.03].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_01.48_[2023.12.08_13.53.03].jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_05.08_[2023.12.08_13.52.10].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_05.08_[2023.12.08_13.52.10].jpg
    181 KB · Views: 67
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_06.05_[2023.12.08_13.55.10].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_06.05_[2023.12.08_13.55.10].jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_06.15_[2023.12.08_13.55.30].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_06.15_[2023.12.08_13.55.30].jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_06.31_[2023.12.08_13.55.54].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_06.31_[2023.12.08_13.55.54].jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_06.33_[2023.12.08_13.56.04].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_06.33_[2023.12.08_13.56.04].jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_07.09_[2023.12.08_13.56.57].jpg
    DJI_0067.MP4_snapshot_07.09_[2023.12.08_13.56.57].jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20231208_124337.jpg
    IMG_20231208_124337.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20231208_160355.jpg
    IMG_20231208_160355.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20231208_160342.jpg
    IMG_20231208_160342.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Great. What model is it based on?
It really looks like the one worn in the movie
Mine is from Jameel Ur (bep/els).
All those tweaks have been a hard and very long work,but it'd definitely worth it;
I wrote before that imo, the laminated Jameel had -dunno if he has restocked or not- was the best I've seen to be tweaked aiming top SA level, but we could do better only with a duck texture; Jameel has a waxed-like one that it's duck but it seems too opaque to me, and SR is just another twill,the other noticeable vendors as no real laminate (magnoli and wsl have their native waxed, but dunno what kinda coating would come out, because to me, native laminate is another thing than waxed).
Actually, that color I reached for the fabric, I think it's just a bit darker and less grey, but honestly I didn't see nothing closer.
Maybe Mechanismo waxed coat (that seems very good and SA) could be closer, but it's impossible to say, you should see every coat in person to be sure (including the movie one). As already said, often pics cannot give justice to reality.

Last edited:
here in Turin, covid is back in force, the weather is often inadequate (too hot before winter has come or too adverse like today with snow and rain), so although I still have to close some points of the lining, I decided to fly the drone indoors and try to do a final shooting to better understand the final result obtained with all the changes I had illustrated.

Although the increase in padding has created some problems for the magnet on the right chest to close the coat (here wearing the thickest winter shirt I have, if you inflate the chest it inevitably comes loose, I fixed that adding another magnet aside so that the coat close indipendently from the thickness of the sweater and stays snug, also because the problem was only for that magnet, others work fine anyway), and although I might re-evaluate a slight removal of the shoulder panel padding (now way too swollen, but that's to be expected), has now become a real heavy winter coat, and overall, I think it's impossible that I could ask for anything better than this.

The final color, although in the end I tried other tests with the addition of sky blue, cannot be lightened more (I had tested a lighter gray but it has to be a matt finish, and too opaque, in the end you mess with fabric and color instead of improving it).
The drone's camera should allow you to have at least another example (not with the same not photographically excellent one as my smartphone) of the nuances with various lights, even if today it is really worthy of blade runner rain scene and an example of warm light is missing, but it never seems to give me a chance for that to be shot.

Regarding the lining and buckram, I agree with Mechanismo , as the new top-notch one is thicker, and together with that buckram added to my neoprene (as I wrote I put it in the lapels also, not limiting the tweak to the collar), they have given excellent structure...buckram sundaram :)

PS: (for any drone user) be aware that magnets on the coat heavily affect drone stability if it's close to you

Excellent results, CountLau !

I'm especially impressed with the updated, more robust quilting-lining. I mean, just look at those sleeves. What a difference!

1702323285045.png

Suffice to say that your coat looks far more structured, solid and -crucially- more SA now. I'm currently getting my BEP/ELS coat altered locally for sizing issues, but I also fully intend to swap out the flimsy lining with a quality replacement. Hopefully Jameel/Zlurpo will take notice and beef up their current lining. Great to hear your feedback on the buckram too. I couldn't agree more.

Nicely done!

Last edited:
Excellent results, CountLau !

I'm especially impressed with the updated, more robust quilting-lining. I mean, just look at those sleeves. What a difference!

View attachment 1768865

Suffice to say that your coat looks far more structured, solid and -crucially- more SA now. I'm currently getting my BEP/ELS coat altered locally for sizing issues, but I also fully intend to swap out the flimsy lining with a quality replacement. Hopefully Jameel/Zlurpo will take notice and beef up their current lining. Great to hear your feedback on the buckram too. I couldn't agree more.

Nicely done!
in all honesty, despite having eliminated a little of the padding (far too abundant for my custom size already made), I had quite a few problems keeping the coat closed compared to before this last intervention.
Today I solved everything definitively, and let's also start figuring out that it is absolutely unlikely to have a snug fit if you then change increasing the thickness of the shirt underneath and rely only on magnets, as it is obvious that then if you move a little more, at center between buckle and eyelet, opens at the end).

To have maximum versatility of use (which is also crucial for me) avoiding having to end up adding push buttons and/or zips, I added:
- a row of magnets (two of three in neodimium super strong 8kg force) close to those already present on the right chest only, so that if I don't put any sweater or a light one, I tighten the buckle to the second hole and take the first magnets row, otherwise with thick sweaters = second magnets row (the eyelet didn't cause any problems, at most it pulls slightly more but nothing to worry about either in terms of material hold or visual effect)
- it may seem ridiculous to read, but I'm not kinda guy who wants to be affected in any external activity by what I'm wearing, therefore proof of possible aggression and consequent need to fight/get away/run/very strong wind/frantic movements at a maybe critical moment where eventually need for rush and a lot of freedom of movement is needed etc, I added a very short elastic tie just behind the internal pocket (invisible) anchored to a point that I studied before definitively closing the lining, very robust and which does not deform the coat under tension nor risks to create tears, and on the side of the right lapel, an invisible eyelet that barely comes out and works very well, remaining hooked internally.
With these last two changes, practically nothing changes visually while I can do practically whatever I want with the coat on.

The current resistance to the cold is even excessive (if I had to say between a ski down jacket that I also use in the city and this one which is the warmest, I'll say this without hesitation this coat, except that it doesn't have a hood obviously, as at most I have a light one that I keep in the rainproof pocket that I had already shown in photos in the past) despite the fact that I struggled to remove some of the padding (in reality, as I had already written, for me cold protection was excellent even before with that not great lining, and I say that it's freezing here in Turin every night, during the day only today 8° and the other days max 3-4° even with sun, and not even a month since I had another covid and I'm still weak and recovering, so you can trust what I write, although for many the perception of cold is obviously subjective).

At this point if I post again, it will be when and if I have the opportunity to take some outdoor pics that have something to tell more than the usual ones already taken, perhaps with a drone, but I will have to wait (also for a legit place to use it, far from the city, or I'd be an outlaw and risky maneuver) and I don't know when.

I'm only sorry that I wasn't able to lighten it with a grey/blue even a little more, but as I had already said, never ask too much at chances, I've already gone much further (also and above all on the quantity of work done on the fabric) of a desirable fair limit of tolerability of the garment.

As soon as I can I'll add some pics that illustrate the new things a little

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back