Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

I'm sorry, not trying to throw shade or be negative, but the Magnoli coat does not even compare to the Soul Revolver. So to knock the SR because it is not "custom" made is wrong. The Magnoli coat is Blade Runner inspired - as Mechanismo has now pointed out repeatedly in this thread, it just misses the mark too many times to be an actual BR coat. I'd say it's like a (waxed) cotton coat from Barbour with some DNA from the Blade Runner coat. It's "inspired" by it. The SR coat is an actual attempt to produce a user-friendly, screen accurate coat. Mine just arrived this week and is actually semi-custom made. No, they wont get your measurements and produce it for you, but as someone else already pointed out, their sizing is pretty solid, you just have to do your due diligence to pick the right size. As for the material, it is simply stunning. The color is about as SA as possible - they used washed, aged cotton and then layered it with acrylic to produce that leather-like effect that Rene April was talking about in her interviews. The aging shows through and through. The only thing that is "off" is the shearling which is unfortunate because unlike Magnoli and all others, SR uses actual (expensive) sheepskin. it's just the wrong drape and color. I will post pictures soon and will also post pics when I get the fur replaced with camel color sherpa.

As for the sizing ...scottypavarotti.. I have no idea why SeAnn would recommend XXL for you based on those measurements. That's way off. However, I dont think the L is the right size for you, either. Mine is an L and Im a size 40. If you are 6 ft, 43 size chest, you're going to want the XL. the L will be too tight for you. Mine is already at the cusp of being too tight. It's ok with a T shirt but with a sweater I can feel the tightness in the chest and in the arms when I raise them. it still looks good and will likely stretch a bit and an XL would be way too much tailoring for me but for you, I would re-consider. just my 2 cents.
Did you get the soul revolver jackets fur collar replaced with sherpa shearling I'm really interested to see what that looks like

Soul Revolver's Blade Runner coat is top notch, I can attest to that and will post pictures once I've had the shearling replaced (in works as we speak/write). but they will not do any customization. In my mind, other than the shearling and possibly moving the collar (as Mechanismo astutely points out, an issue with EVERY Blade Runner coat), there isn't much to be done anyway.
Did you get the fur replaced I'm curious to see what it looks like on the soul revolver jacket

Waiting for this to arrive on Tuesday, but Jameel knocked this one out of the park! I'll have to dirty up that fur, and move the waist hook and eye down a panel, but I'm pumped overall!

Edit: Also note, I'm a smaller guy so that mannequin is stuffed into the coat lol.

Attachments

• 370517863_625466446376192_4570906453163946250_n.jpg
    370517863_625466446376192_4570906453163946250_n.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 372157574_1335839227018394_6299795843618970638_n.jpg
    372157574_1335839227018394_6299795843618970638_n.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 370605260_1262625171072985_1885060266072627310_n.jpg
    370605260_1262625171072985_1885060266072627310_n.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 373395542_1367011893883262_2943062000806891191_n.jpg
    373395542_1367011893883262_2943062000806891191_n.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Waiting for this to arrive on Tuesday, but Jameel nocked this one out of the park! I'll have to dirty up that fur, and move the waist hook and eye down a panel, but I'm pumped overall!

Edit: Also note, I'm a smaller guy so that mannequin is stuffed into the coat lol.
if you're not at least basically skilled in tailoring to do it all by yourself,and you want the coat to look as mine (or closer to the movie than it should come to you,and I say that also because I didn't see any other visual feedback but mine about laminated Jameel's coat till now except the waxed-like one),I could suggest:
- distress the fur following bep tutorial on yt. I also trimmed a little bit,and well defining the edges not the fleeces to go out from,and baking paper ironing the fur adding some extra colour before (brown-black markers and then hand work rag and isopropanol for fading and final cleaning)
- ask a tailor for moving the hook n eye to the right level (better shape the hook not to let it never incidentally open,as I described,and put it close to a magnet)
- ask a tailor to add 3 magnets (one on the chest where left part of the collar should match when opened,and maybe another couple for the right lapel corner matching the other side on the chest,this last one imo better not neodimium but something weaker not to exagerate with the hold of the right lapel -way lighter than the block left lapel+collar- as for instance ferrite)
- ask a tailor to shorten the strap and re-positioning (it needs several tries before resew it to be sure which level is the right one on your face when closed),also changing the 4 stitches hiding them from being seen externally and letting the bottom collar slide over the left lapel (the most risky and difficult part)
- ask a tailor to insert something that could give more structure to the collar (buckram or neoprene,or whatelse) and also something to give a clearer shape to the lapels when opened (I simply used a strong thread on the internal side of the folds as in my video explained,it's raw but effective and very simple without messing with the coat,but everything else that could work is fine,definitely not needed such a work as for a real blazer with kinda industrious stitching typical of men's jackets)
- eventually ask a tailor to add a zip to the internal pocket (if you want it too)

if you're not at least basically skilled in tailoring to do it all by yourself,and you want the coat to look as mine (or closer to the movie than it should come to you,and I say that also because I didn't see any other visual feedback but mine about laminated Jameel's coat till now except the waxed-like one),I could suggest:
- distress the fur following bep tutorial on yt. I also trimmed a little bit,and well defining the edges not the fleeces to go out from,and baking paper ironing the fur adding some extra colour before (brown-black markers and then hand work rag and isopropanol for fading and final cleaning)
- ask a tailor for moving the hook n eye to the right level (better shape the hook not to let it never incidentally open,as I described,and put it close to a magnet)
- ask a tailor to add 3 magnets (one on the chest where left part of the collar should match when opened,and maybe another couple for the right lapel corner matching the other side on the chest,this last one imo better not neodimium but something weaker not to exagerate with the hold of the right lapel -way lighter than the block left lapel+collar- as for instance ferrite)
- ask a tailor to shorten the strap and re-positioning (it needs several tries before resew it to be sure which level is the right one on your face when closed),also changing the 4 stitches hiding them from being seen externally and letting the bottom collar slide over the left lapel (the most risky and difficult part)
- ask a tailor to insert something that could give more structure to the collar (buckram or neoprene,or whatelse) and also something to give a clearer shape to the lapels when opened (I simply used a strong thread on the internal side of the folds as in my video explained,it's raw but effective and very simple without messing with the coat,but everything else that could work is fine,definitely not needed such a work as for a real blazer with kinda industrious stitching typical of men's jackets)
- eventually ask a tailor to add a zip to the internal pocket (if you want it too)
I appreciate it! Does this not have magnets at all? I was so sure it did! I can manage moving the hook and eye myself, and follow the tutorial for the fur, but I might look into the other alterations at a later date. I'm in no rush.

I appreciate it! Does this not have magnets at all? I was so sure it did! I can manage moving the hook and eye myself, and follow the tutorial for the fur, but I might look into the other alterations at a later date. I'm in no rush.
when I received from bep-Jameel,the coat already has plenty of good magnets to withstand the closure.
But I mean for optimal shape fixing when opened,you should add what I wrote (except if they updated the coat already doing also those tweaks,dunno)

when I received from bep-Jameel,the coat already has plenty of good magnets to withstand the closure.
But I mean for optimal shape fixing when opened,you should add what I wrote (except they updated the coat already doing those tweaks)
Ahhhh. I'll have to see what I'm working with when it comes in! I ordered this straight from Jameel at Excellent Leather Shop, he says it's the most up to date design.

Thanks for all the tips, CountLau I'm also waiting on Jameel to ship my coat soon...

Really quickly, just so we can all benefit from your experience (and amazing results), regarding the shearling distressing/dyeing...

Using the BEP video tutorial/technique as a base guide, could you please provide us with your specific tweaks?

-Colors: should we use the same dye colors as outlined in the BEP tutorial? Or are yours different? I believe you said you used 'mushroom' and 'gunpowder'. If so, can you tell us what proportions should we use of each one when mixing it with the alcohol? If you can post pics of the specific dyes, that would be great.

-Permanent alcohol markers: I believe you used brown and black markers to actually apply on the shearling strands. Could you be kind enough to share what kind of markers you used and perhaps a photo of how you incorporated this into the distressing?

I think I can speak for all of us in saying that your shearling distressing is "one for the books" and something we all aspire to achieve.

Grazie mille!

Ahhhh. I'll have to see what I'm working with when it comes in! I ordered this straight from Jameel at Excellent Leather Shop, he says it's the most up to date design.

Thanks for all the tips, CountLau I'm also waiting on Jameel to ship my coat soon...

Really quickly, just so we can all benefit from your experience (and amazing results), regarding the shearling distressing/dyeing...

Using the BEP video tutorial/technique as a base guide, could you please provide us with your specific tweaks?

-Colors: should we use the same dye colors as outlined in the BEP tutorial? Or are yours different? I believe you said you used 'mushroom' and 'gunpowder'. If so, can you tell us what proportions should we use of each one when mixing it with the alcohol? If you can post pics of the specific dyes, that would be great.

-Permanent alcohol markers: I believe you used brown and black markers to actually apply on the shearling strands. Could you be kind enough to share what kind of markers you used and perhaps a photo of how you incorporated this into the distressing?

I think I can speak for all of us in saying that your shearling distressing is "one for the books" and something we all aspire to achieve.

Grazie mille!
Ah for you guys on the way for the final tweaks to have Jameel laminated twill coat to work on:
if you would decide there's a need to add magnets,for the magnets I added first of all I incapsulated them into vinyl using heat n bond (but also other methods may work fine) cutting couple pieces and stitching the magnets inside them before securing with ironing the edges,to have them ready to be sewed on those parts and with waterproof insulation (don't wanna the magnets to get rust never).
That was something I didn't specify to you pvt before,dunno if Jameel magnets are treated this way (didn't extract any,but maybe they are already secured from humidity maybe even with their own metallic coating),time will say if they will affect humidity and eventually lose effectiveness or not,definitely not so difficult to eventually replace them in the future (for me or a tailor)...but the ones I put,in any case I went on the safe side.
About my distressing technique...
I sent u pvt that vid (that one split into many parts,difficult to load and also rebuild I guess),as you've seen,my method is the same as in bep yt tuto in the first instance,but the colors ain't the ones they mixed trying differente rgb gradations: I used mushroom + gunmetal pigment (always ranger tim holtz). Then,the method in the vid I tried to show you,but it was me and if you're going for it, but I won't be there with you so really hope you will make it,as you've seen it consists in patiently hand working with a brown and also a little with a black permanent marker (always alcohol ink based). Endly,fading with isopropanol pushing with a rag avoiding any damage (gently and slowly,do not exceed with power),cleaning also the fur from excess pigment that could ever stain you later.
I haven't been too clinical with the proportions, but generally half and half, leaning more towards the mushroom cause mixative pigment (gunmetal) is stronger and shiny: the unneeded shine on the fur will fade away after working it with rag; alternatively I think also other mixed color as slate / rosewood might work well,playing with the mix eventually changing the one for the markers (for example to grey / dark green and fading them after altogether). It will be surely similar to my result in case you won't be able to find right now those exact colors I used,I think the difference to mine won't be remarkable and even add some personality but,I think those ones I used reached a pretty similar tonality to the movie one,but it will be matter of trying and gradually understand by yourself when you're reaching the right level...color too weak = go for something that will darken (black marker touches and even brown marker are way stronger than alcohol inks I used,but more difficult to spread all over the fur and risky to exagerate with the dark part) / too dark = wait for drying with thermic gun or dryer and don't wait for remove a little bit of pigment with rag and isopropanol (it will clean if used quickly in case of mistakes / exceeding of dark color),then try patiently and slowly,try again...till you reach the result you like.
For the markers,I don't think it must be the same brand as mine,but definitely alcohol based ink. I used them refining the job step by step,every time valuating if the result was enough or not,and filling the yellowish space left especially on the base of the fur (very long and patient work,every time repeating the fading with the isopropanol and rag and so on till the I liked the result to consider it the very final one).
Here the pic (of course you will also need the little sprayer,iron,baking paper,hairdryer or better (low temp set) thermic gun)

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_205910.jpg
    IMG_20230901_205910.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 79
  • 16936043888016713073615849771413.jpg
    16936043888016713073615849771413.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Waiting for this to arrive on Tuesday, but Jameel nocked this one out of the park! I'll have to dirty up that fur, and move the waist hook and eye down a panel, but I'm pumped overall!

I'm not a cosplayer,but nice lettering on the back,it doesn't seem to be too marked (so maybe more SA).
I saw something on his els site when on bep it was already resulting "only 1 available"...now on etsy bep channel seems to be restocked but pics may refer to the only version they show (uncoated (or maybe waxed-like) cotton duck without lamination),els now clearly says "out of stock",so we will be the ones who managed to get one...really hope Jameel will be able to restock a laminated cotton,but in duck texture. In that case,maybe I will get another coat and keep both: that,rightly tweaked,will be definitely kinda stolen from Ryan Gosling K character,without taking anything away from this one, which however is no longer available.

it seems the closure has changed a little bit,now even closer to SA level. you incorporated some other tweaks that we did work in progress,well...
...I still believe that closure (the one in Gosling pic I attached) is unreal...how it is possible to have that left lapel angle so high when closed?? even with the 4 stitched left collar that shift over it so deep...must be a scene effect...
This must be the uncoated duck fabric,isn't it?
If you'll find a laminated fabric this texture,and we'll understand (if even possible) how to replicate that weird closure (so incoherent with the coat shape when opened),maybe it will be the case to ask bd 2099 production if they are needing for a costumer designer to provide new coats before the series it's done (it seems that Gosling may return as another replicant...maybe he would need some other coats) :) :)

Attachments

• closure-2.jpg
    closure-2.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 68
This is our regualr cotton fabric.
I made sure lalep corner/ point close to collar edge without deshaping of lapel and collar, as we see in above image.
They made collar and lapel equal size that's why collar magnet doesn't stick on other side.

Did you notice, I changed center seam line and made like "v".
Although I don't have solid proof about it.

This is our regualr cotton fabric.
I made sure lalep corner/ point close to collar edge without deshaping of lapel and collar, as we see in above image.
They made collar and lapel equal size that's why collar magnet doesn't stick on other side.

Did you notice, I changed center seam line and made like "v".
Although I don't have solid proof about it.
it's already pretty close to Gosling pic imho,but that left lapel angle in that pic...absurd. So high,so under the left bottom collar (that is stitched together),so close to the shoulder-right collar angle...I also thought they could have used kinda elastan thread to make those stitches stretchable enough to permit a flexible closure,but it'd be a nonsense...I'm not that pro tailor,but did many weird works...and still can't well understand that. Not to deshape. That's the point. How do they do that,if it's not a scenic effect? To me,it seems those two parts (left bottom collar and left upper lapel),are most like yours,not the same lenght,look at that (attached)...as I said,impossible not to deshape,so impossible to have that result. I bet scenic effect,or they used two different coats (some for scenes when opened,some others for scenes when closed that way). And that,indipendently from the magnets presence and positioning on those parts

Attachments

• mistery.jpg
    mistery.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
So I got my jacket yesterday, It's really nicely made and does need the tweaks we talked about, but the colour... It feels too dark and not very green. It shows up sort of green on camera, but almost nothing in person, the last picture shows it's true colour quite well. I haven't taken it outside yet as it's very hot right now but I'm worried mine is different in the colour than CountLau's coat. It's a very dark grey colour to me, like wet asphalt.

Attachments

• IMG_20230906_083326.jpg
    IMG_20230906_083326.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20230905_100615.jpg
    IMG_20230905_100615.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20230905_100434.jpg
    IMG_20230905_100434.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20230905_100420.jpg
    IMG_20230905_100420.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
So I got my jacket yesterday, It's really nicely made and does need the tweaks we talked about, but the colour... It feels too dark and not very green. It shows up sort of green on camera, but almost nothing in person, the last picture shows it's true colour quite well. I haven't taken it outside yet as it's very hot right now but I'm worried mine is different in the colour than CountLau's coat. It's a very dark grey colour to me, like wet asphalt.
it seems nice to me...but I told here many times before,I'm even a little dyschromic,but yours too,it seems to me pretty similar to Gosling color. In matter of seeing it in person or not,it'd be nice also to see the original k character with the coat in person...that,could have filled many doubts,but compared to hollywood museum pics,also yours seems very SA (regardless of the many tweaks still to do on yours)...maybe mine went from a piece of fabric eventually already faded by the sun and usage? mmmhh don't believe that,or Jameel couldn't have stopped laminated coats production (he noticed time before that it was already running out).
Sleeves seem bit too long but for me it was the same till I put my winter k sweater underneath,and I wouldn't change nothing in my coat at this day,it is simply perfect after my tweaks,except if I could go back in time and immediately do the job of the 4 stitches without that small piece that I messed and masked after having made attempts (which in the end I find very successful), to make the closure look as close as possible to that close-up by Gosling).
Imho,this fabric maybe is a little darker (and with no blueyish fade,or at least not easy to have'em except with very particular lights,if compared to the mysterious unobtainable fabric used in the movie),but if there really has to be a difference I'd rather there weren't,is that I find it a bit too shiny,as always said (imo because it must be laminated thicker than the movie one),and of course not tough as duck.
About matter of "green" or not,in particular,I read many posts here and other forum that led communities involved to lean towards believing it more dark gray and having very little really green (even if I still see mine as dark green rather than dark grey, and not so dark, but on this I may be the last person who has to express opinions).
On Gosling's close up in the fog (which, however, I only found online but not extractable from the original film even by zooming so much),the coat is full black.
On many scenes with blue lights,the coat seems kinda dark grey (eventually,green) fading to blueyish.
In most of the scenes,it seems to be gray (quite dark,not too much,and excluded when it gets dirty),but never something real green. Other opinions around me said the same. But my sight is sharp,and not so refined in terms of colors...

Last edited:
it seems nice to me...but I told here many times before,I'm even a little dyschromic,but yours too,it seems to me pretty similar to Gosling color. In matter of seeing it in person or not,it'd be nice also to see the original k character with the coat in person...that,could have filled many doubts,but compared to hollywood museum pics,also yours seems very SA (regardless of the many tweaks still to do on yours)...maybe mine went from a piece of fabric eventually already faded by the sun and usage? mmmhh don't believe that,or Jameel couldn't have stopped laminated coats production (he noticed time before that it was already running out).
Sleeves seem bit too long but for me it was the same till I put my winter k sweater underneath,and I wouldn't change nothing in my coat at this day,it is simply perfect after my tweaks,except if I could go back in time and immediately do the job of the 4 stitches without that small piece that I messed and masked after having made attempts (which in the end I find very successful), to make the closure look as close as possible to that close-up by Gosling).
Imho,this fabric maybe is a little darker (and with no blueyish fade,or at least not easy to have'em except with very particular lights,if compared to the mysterious unobtainable fabric used in the movie),but if there really has to be a difference I'd rather there weren't,is that I find it a bit too shiny,as always said (imo because it must be laminated thicker than the movie one),and of course not tough as duck.
About matter of "green" or not,in particular,I read many posts here and other forum that led communities involved to lean towards believing it more dark gray and having very little really green (even if I still see mine as dark green rather than dark grey, and not so dark, but on this I may be the last person who has to express opinions).
On Gosling's close up in the fog (which, however, I only found online but not extractable from the original film even by zooming so much),the coat is full black.
On many scenes with blue lights,the coat seems kinda dark grey (eventually,green) fading to blueyish.
In most of the scenes,it seems to be gray (quite dark,not too much,and excluded when it gets dirty),but never something real green. Other opinions around me said the same. But my sight is sharp,and not so refined in terms of colors...
I appreciate the help, you've been really great at communicating the details and the processes you've done to make yours more SA!
The more I look at mine, the more I'm convinced it's just because I'm looking at it in a darker environment, the only way this coat can go from black/dark grey in the film with very little green to very green in some scenes, is that most of the green comes from the colour grading, which seems to be the case. I'm sure with time it'll lighten a bit and settle to the way I want it. Looking at pictures of the movie jacket on display it really does seem to match very well with the same very subtle green cast mostly from the camera. I'm pretty happy with it! It's got some stuff I need to do, but I don't want to rush it. The fact that we're getting into a conversation about such minor things really shows how much effort Jameel has put into this coat. I think it really is the most SA we've seen yet, with very minor tweaks taking it the rest of the way. I feel really lucky to have gotten one for myself.

Congratulations! That's a great-looking coat and really well put-together.

Jameel will no doubt be able to confirm whether he used the same material as he did on CoutLau's. To my eyes, it looks to be the same.... That's one of the great things about this material. As CountLau has pointed out, much like in the movie, the coat can have a slightly different hue and sheen depending on the light source.

While I agree with CountLau that the sleeve length looks a little long, I think -in terms of coat design itself- there are some issues with the sleeves' width. To my eyes, the sleeves are too wide, bulky in appearance. Now, a lot of this boils down to taste of course, but the movie coat's sleeves (and coat in general) has more of a tailored, snug fit. Granted, Ryan Gosling is well-built and he 'fills in' the sleeves (and the coat) nicely, but having said that, I think it's important that the sleeve width also be proportionately 'scaled' to the wearer's build/size (much in the same way that collar should be scaled to each wearer). The scaled 'tailored' fit is something WSL did well on my current coat, IMO.

1694019417906.png

1694019471704.png

(It's worth noting that the above is duck cotton with two layers of barbour wax, which give the coat more drape, weight and character. I realize the laminated twill cotton might not 'behave' the same way.)

Jameel is currently tweaking a laminated coat for me (the last one before his laminated material ran out!) More to come!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back