Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

standing on this last comparison I did,I decide to do not modify the 4 stitches...I believe that the first 2 image from left in pic attached, show the collar as it is sewed differently compared to pics saw where the coat is shown on a dummy. I don't believe at all that the lower part of the collar could go as down as you can see in those images (on the left)at the opposite of the other 2 stills from the movie on the right of the pic (it is clear that the sewing method used for that part should be one of the differences we can find looking at the details of the movie with the attention due),maybe here is not so clear because of lowered res but,in my pc with original still,I can barely see the 2 stills pon the right show something more similar to Jameel original job (more external stitches positioning,closure that doesn't allow so easily the lower part of the collar to shift over the upper part of the left lapel),that I won't modify any more. If I'll do other posts (and the thread will be still alive),I will go for new pics that could show more of the final result (me going around with the coat - waiting for autumn / winter,not now with summer weather,I used air conditioned for my previous pics!)

Last edited:
IMO, the fabric color is Pantone 3c color.

View attachment 1715635View attachment 1715636
do not trust my eyes :lol:
but no jokes,that 3c pantone is kinda gunmetal,so a sort of greenish/dark grey,close to black but not so much...I can't really see it as a real black
1688475709395.png

15% green (dominant in rgb)

Last edited:
I've been thinking the fabric I used for my Atreides uniform would be the perfect color, but I'd have to coat it myself, and I'm really not looking forward to waxing 3 yards of fabric by hand, not to mention the fabric has a brushed texture so I'm not sure how well it would take to waxing in the first place:
img-4234-jpg.jpg

I wonder if Barbour Thornproof Dressing might be easier to apply and to achieve the shiny look with than regular wax? Or is there an aerosol laminating spray that can be used on fabric for a similar effect?

Last edited:
I've been thinking the fabric I used for my Atreides uniform would be the perfect color, but I'd have to coat it myself, and I'm really not looking forward to waxing 3 yards of fabric by hand, not to mention the fabric has a brushed texture so I'm not sure how well it would take to waxing in the first place:
View attachment 1715642
I wonder if Barbour Thornproof Dressing might be easier to apply and to achieve the shiny look with than regular wax? Or is there an aerosol laminating spray that can be used on fabric for a similar effect?
For the coat I did,I started with a wax very similar to barbour wax,but if the cotton is not native waxed,I don't rely on it (as I discovered by myself). So I removed the wax,and then turned to real plastifying coating process as I wrote before in response to Mitch LaRue (who did a similar process too,I read). The result was better and durable,but it stinks for months and stays somehow stiff,despite thermic gun treatments etc (in my experience,very hard and technically difficult to obtain a clean result,you will have to combat with many streaks that will often come out after a hand is put and solid,always refining and so on). So in the end,I really have to recommend (imho) a native laminated cotton for this,but it depends from the goal you have.
I really wanted that shiny look (without exagerating),waterproof protection,and smoothness (even more than what we can see on the movie in many scenes,where the coat seems to be stiffer than in other scenes). My selfmade coat is everything but smooth after coated (not native) with that vinylic medium,that is also the best that can afford for such an approach,because most other types of plasticizers are even more rigid. And with my few further customizations,buying the right native coat (Jameel fabric,and I suppose SR fabric,are the best)I reached my goal. Maybe you will also like something else,but if you liked the results I reached and you aim for that,I don't believe you will go the right direction,waxing the fabric you showed (or laminating it with vinyl or somehow,as I did on my first coat),I don't say it will be ugly,but definitely another kind of result.
About the sprays ,I suggest to let them go,if you want something durable and definitive. Furthermore,most of spray of that kind don't change at all the look,but only waterproofing (more or less...)

Last edited:
I asked experts what fabric my coat from Jameel Ur could be, we are pretty sure it is pu laminated (maybe not nylon as I first guessed), so I will never wash it in the washing machine, I will opt for a hand wash only in cases of particular dirt, otherwise I will just clean with light sponge (external and interiors)and neutral soap and drying with dry cloth immediately after (because although excellent and rainproof, if left wet for a long time it can suffer), and also sanitizing spray for the interior (fyi)

Last edited:
here some other pics (quality is poor,I'm alone now and doing my best with what I have),some other details can be catched...
I'm just minding to rebuild the four stitches that keep together the left lapel with the collar,shifting them a little bit less external,and doing them with an elastic sewing thread that I have and should fit perfectly,or with a method I used for my selfmade coat that makes the collar shift over the lapel especially when closed,to make a perfect look and closure function as the close-up where is shown,for my coat it worked not exactly same way but was nice. I think I'll do it later...
IMO collar and shoulder panel shapes are quite perfect,they did a great job.
As you can see and Jameel already explained,the color is kinda iridescent (it changes a little depending on the light,for me it's terrific,really close to the movie one despite SR cloth suitability,I did some comparison putting aside 4k stills from the movie,and no words,imo it's impressive).
In last pic I showed (upper one in the pic) that sometimes it seems like the coat have no coating at all,I don't know if it is or the dust in particular raw environment scenes,but regardless of differences between the production coats,I like the laminated cotton.
Any chance we could see the coat with the collar up?

Any chance we could see the coat with the collar up?
here we go. Only the pic where the pants are visible has been done (days ago) with the sweater underneath,I'm naked in the others (so the fit is looser than it would normally be,but you can look at the closure anyway). In autumn / winter better pics when outside the right weather will be taken,now I'm alone with my phone (camera quality is not the best) and even with air conditioned we suffer a lot (summer with absurd saharian weather 38° C outside)

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_200517.jpg
    IMG_20230712_200517.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20230712_200526.jpg
    IMG_20230712_200526.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20230712_200827.jpg
    IMG_20230712_200827.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20230712_200840.jpg
    IMG_20230712_200840.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
  • VID_20230629_175729.00_01_56_01.Immagine009.jpg
    VID_20230629_175729.00_01_56_01.Immagine009.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
here we go. Only the last pic has been done with the sweater underneath,I'm naked in the others (so the fit is looser than it would normally be,but you can look at the closure anyway). In autumn / winter better pics when outside the right weather will be taken,now I'm alone with my phone (camera quality is not the best) and even with air conditioned we suffer a lot (summer with absurd saharian weather 38° C outside)
Awesome thanks looks great! Sorry to put you through this in the heat!

Awesome thanks looks great! Sorry to put you through this in the heat!
forget about it...I already did my tests before further customizations I did,so once more...
in case u missed it,I take this one to remember you that,as explained before,I shortened the strap: I didn't measured the original length featured by Jameel but,I chose to reduce it to 11cm (about 4,5 inches,with the three holes almost perfectly centered),and I expressly asked Jameel via bep etsy channel before purchasing,to add couple cm to the collar without losing the proper shape,so I suppose the coat has been made with collar upper part slightly longer,and I don't care about the exact way it looks on Gosling looking at pics available online -moreover,we clearly understood that not all production coats are exactly identical- that's nice but the fit on my nose (definitely longer than Gosling's nose) and practicality to keep it stylish but really being able to withstand bad weather,were crucial for me and even more important. I wanted the funnel-like shape,but the angles positioning change a little bit compared to some of the scenes (imo,not to some others),supposedly for my custom measurement choices also.
I expect to be always on the safe side with the rain using an optional rain hood which fits perfectly (I took a vaude bike hood and modified it, it's perfect, in case I really need to cover myself up...replicant yes,but not too much...the color is intense black and not close to the gorgeous pantone of the coat,but very thin and practical,it stays inside a pocket without being unsightly visible)

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_233651.jpg
    IMG_20230712_233651.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20230712_233733.jpg
    IMG_20230712_233733.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20230712_233837.jpg
    IMG_20230712_233837.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Oh I'm sorry for your lost,such a disaster,to have your personal goods to be lost in a fire.

About other considerations on the coat...
I already did my own version of the coat (totally selfmade),u can see below,I was able thanks to some knowhow my italian grandma gave me (I'm from IT),but I'm not a professional tailor,neither have such tools (just my hands and a little basic sewing machine) nor the right raw material to use. My version was lighter and with many imperfections (compared to bep version after I customized it),but I liked it,however I ended recovering from long-covid and started weight lifting and some sports I was addicted,got way bigger,and my version don't fit me any more now (so I unlined it and made kinda spring coat,keeping the lining I did before for the future in case I'll get slimmer again). I guess you mean "odicoat",I think it makes the fabric stiff. For my version (not the one I modified from bep coat),I used cleopatre textiplast,same problem,but without putting too much product and waiting couple months to let the smell goes completely away,it's ok (but still stiff).

I've poor tools to make better pics,maybe later I'll put better ones when I could,however I can say imho:
- thanks to Mechanismo for the meticolous indications to suggest the best way to find a coat closest to movie one
- I considered every vendor available,SR has to best cloth? maybe,but...the person at SR mail address who answers at my questions,wrote me that the cloth is (textual) "slighly waxed cotton,not waterproof",at same time I found a SR coat for sale on ebay (many months ago),and in the pics was clearly shown the composition as "83% cotton 17% acrilic" - way better lamination,if the aim is SA and waterproof protection,but it let me full of doubts (and they added to the ones I already had about SR coat's shape and shearling),and also,as I discussed and agreed with bep owner (zlurpo?),many production coats have been made,similar to each other but not exactly identical,and taking a clinical look at various stills of the movie,it is evident.
The fabric of Gosling's coat is cotton duck,I think laminated (as Renée April should've confirmed on Vogue) in a lite way with something that I won't say wax (maybe nylon,acrilic,or PU),I would say that coating stays in between BEP laminated cloth that I bought and SR cloth,even if thinner of both. I read many supporters of SR cloth,it is nice,maybe a little closer to the movie (mine is a bit darker,bep say black but I put black aside after being really satisfied by the unexpected accurate similarity to the movie,maybe still a little bit too shiny but not as it seems on pics I saw here before purchasing).
However,both SR and BEP laminated versions are twill cotton based. That means that is not duck,so I think I can say that,at the moment,there's no way to find the exact same fabric they used for the coat in br2049,except contact them and ask them to reveal their supplier or send some. Twill,I think it has some other nice features: I find it smoother,and if coated and well treated,it will last even if not tough as duck. This coat is definitely good for winter (maybe some cold will be felt with real icy low temp,but yet to be seen for me). BEP has duck fabric to choose,but waxed or not coated at all,I wanted it laminated so I chose the "black" (that imo is not,but nicely SA) laminated cloth (even if it's cotton twill and not duck).
I don't think to look for the needle in the haystack is the way,if you aim for practical daily use,you can do something not exactly the same and possibly even more useful than what could be if perfectly SA.

details about customizations I did on my BEP laminated coat:
- I've no letters on the back,I wanted my coat to be SA without losing pragmatism,I think the letters are good for cosplay meeting (I'm not a cosplayer,even if I wear bates strike -I already had them- and made by myself trousers pretty similar to the movie with elastan cotton in (not too much tactical) military style,and a sweater I painted with washing machine dyes,that is pretty similar to the movie now). The custom size,if I would give suggestions for someone who is about to buy,is a must.
- I put a small neodimium magnet inside the left chest under the point where the left lapel folds (external angle),to be sure it keeps in position when opened without flickering neither if I run
- I put a small neodimium magnet inside the external angle of the right lapel (where there aren't magnets already put by BEP),and another magnet (not neodimium,the right lapel is obviously way lighter compared to the left,so I used ferrite to be not too strongly held) inside the right chest (same reason as previous point)
- I slightly whipped the fur (I've experience in doing it,and here is a particular job and requires attention to not trim too much),then I heavily weathered it using the method explained by BEP in their yt tutorial mixed with something else from my knowledge: they suggest ranger alcohol ink to be diluted with isopropanol and sprayed on the fur (absolutely avoiding to breath it,I add),I also do some works with particular brushes,and also in my own way pushed strongly (but without damaging the coat) with a rag soaked with isopropanol after having the fur furtherly darkened with alcohol-based permanent markers. I used mushroom and gunmetal color mix for ranger inks,black and brown markers (before finishing the job with my personal method to correctly fade the color mix I put).
- I changed the hook-and-eye closure with an identical black one (not needed,bep hook-and-eye is ok,but it looks silver and I wanted it dark)
- I shortened couple cm the buckle's lace,it was a bit too long
- I added a zip closure to the internal pocket
The coat is terrific,I just did some perfectionism and strictly personal customization job.

I wish you the best and to being able to rebuild what was most dear to you.
Thanks for the shout-out CountLau !
Wow, the tweaks look amazing and overall, it's a real testament to Jameel Ur 's craft and work. It's really satisfying to see just how many of the SA details we've worked out here have been incorporated into the coat. Also, it's also terrific to actually SEE someone wearing this updated BEP coat. Unfortunately, due to the lighting, the mannequin, etc, the posted workshop pics we've seen up until now, don't really do the coat justice (which is why I was on Zlurpo's case to get some professional photos made of someone actually modeling the coat á la Soul Revolver). Hopefully more BEP customers will share their photos soon.

Regarding Soul Revolver's would-be Officer K 2.0. coat, there's been absolutely no news or updates from Kall, so at this point, I don't think it's ever going to materialize...

Thanks for the shout-out CountLau !
Wow, the tweaks look amazing and overall, it's a real testament to Jameel Ur 's craft and work. It's really satisfying to see just how many of the SA details we've worked out here have been incorporated into the coat. Also, it's also terrific to actually SEE someone wearing this updated BEP coat. Unfortunately, due to the lighting, the mannequin, etc, the posted workshop pics we've seen up until now, don't really do the coat justice (which is why I was on Zlurpo's case to get some professional photos made of someone actually modeling the coat á la Soul Revolver). Hopefully more BEP customers will share their photos soon.

Regarding Soul Revolver's would-be Officer K 2.0. coat, there's been absolutely no news or updates from Kall, so at this point, I don't think it's ever going to materialize...
yes,that's main reason why I posted here (to be grateful for suggestions that brought me to the right purchase,no native-laminated version post till mine -just about the waxed-like version- so maybe it will be useful,and to let a review somewhere cause etsy platform update issues don't allow). About SR,I guess you're right,even cause I contacted them before BEP (little time before my purchase),and u can see what I highlighted about the response I had regarding details I asked...their coat is very good overall,I'd have bought it and I'd been able to modify the shearling and other details like magnets by myself,but definitely not everything (they won't eliminate letter on the back that I didn't want,no customizing for fundamentals like shoulder panel and collar right shapes & size...you're right to define it as overpriced actually,and I must say not clear infos from them,being the coat acrilic laminated and not "slighlty waxed" as they wrote me -except if they recently changed- but honestly I didn't understood that). Better pics will be posted (if still possible) in autumn-winter when I'll wear it outside,if I go out now with this hellish heat,wearing my K style full outfit,I think someone,maybe congratulating for the style too but,will stop me / put me under arrest / bring me to the hospital (intesive care cause the heat,or psychiatric division...)

So thanx again to you as well

Last edited:
forget about it...I already did my tests before further customizations I did,so once more...
in case u missed it,I take this one to remember you that,as explained before,I shortened the strap: I didn't measured the original length featured by Jameel but,I chose to reduce it to 11cm (about 4,5 inches,with the three holes almost perfectly centered),and I expressly asked Jameel via bep etsy channel before purchasing,to add couple cm to the collar without losing the proper shape,so I suppose the coat has been made with collar upper part slightly longer,and I don't care about the exact way it looks on Gosling looking at pics available online -moreover,we clearly understood that not all production coats are exactly identical- that's nice but the fit on my nose (definitely longer than Gosling's nose) and practicality to keep it stylish but really being able to withstand bad weather,were crucial for me and even more important. I wanted the funnel-like shape,but the angles positioning change a little bit compared to some of the scenes (imo,not to some others),supposedly for my custom measurement choices also.
I expect to be always on the safe side with the rain using an optional rain hood which fits perfectly (I took a vaude bike hood and modified it, it's perfect, in case I really need to cover myself up...replicant yes,but not too much...the color is intense black and not close to the gorgeous pantone of the coat,but very thin and practical,it stays inside a pocket without being unsightly visible)
Hey.
I really appreciate it if post your feedback on BEP store either ELS store or in this thread.

Thanks,

Hey.
I really appreciate it if post your feedback on BEP store either ELS store or in this thread.

Thanks,
1689759790760.png

Situation is still the same: etsy doesn't update and you can see screenshot attached (still "not sent" and "you could let a review after 9th august 2023"). Maybe someone of you could write etsy suggesting to update,so will they unblock this?
About els,I put one on your site (excellentleathershop.com),but very simple comment with five stars,cause I don't know if you mean to repost what here on rpf,and I didn't feel right to post something where also indications about my tweaks are readable...but if you want it too,it may be useful to put a link to this rpf thread on your facebook els page

Last edited:
Thank you CountLau I received your feedback and published it on ELS site.
IMO, Etsy has some complex systems, they don't post our each feedback.

Thanks,
If you want to write them,I don't think that I have to give you the permit,cause u can prove I'm already satisfied here about the coat. Or you can remember me after 9th august in case I will miss it.

little suggestion for the ones who want the fur to have the straight combed look (after weathering),you can do it with baking paper + iron. At first time,give the direction gently with your fingers,then proceed to a very careful ironing with the baking paper to protect the fur from direct heat,I put iron at very low temp (just above the minimum) and without pressing too much,being very careful to not damage the fur neither the fabric. This helps to fix the pigment as well as the direction of the sherpa fleeces
fur23.jpg
IMG_20230723_113622.jpg
IMG_20230723_113527.jpg
IMG_20230723_113448.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_152830.jpg
    IMG_20230725_152830.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20230725_152844.jpg
    IMG_20230725_152844.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20230725_152851.jpg
    IMG_20230725_152851.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20230725_153007.jpg
    IMG_20230725_153007.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20230725_153020.jpg
    IMG_20230725_153020.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20230725_160851.jpg
    IMG_20230725_160851.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20230725_160855.jpg
    IMG_20230725_160855.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20230725_160859.jpg
    IMG_20230725_160859.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I resume the thread once again, for any common utility, having made other tweaks on my bep coat.
I finally changed my mind and modified the 4 stitches: the idea was good,but I used a wrong type of thread which tore the fabric (!) and worked a lot trying to better recover the damage done trying other threads on various fabrics,found the right thread to use on it,masked a bit the torn part also bringing the fur to the very edge (as Mechanismo suggested),and I found a method (quite impossible to explain here by words,no video has been made also because I didn't even know if it'd worked right till the end) to let the upper part of the collar slide a bit over the left lapel stitches underneath,to have a more effective closure against bad weather and not the stitches to be visible externally when closed.
never satisfied,I maniacally inserted a very tough cobbler thread from top to bottom following the line where the lapels fold out when the coat is open: that way,the shape of those parts when opened is fixed way better and I found that method giving perfect shape stability and even more SA for the opened lapels (blazer-like),without being the lapels too rigid anyway.
I re-shaped the hook with the pliers (back to the original Jameel tough silver one,cause the black one I put was too weak to handle the shape) and moved the positioning of both elements (hook and eye), putting that hook very close to a magnet: that way, I got a higher closure at the waist that I found better for me, and even more SA positioning of the eyelet,which was in a different position compared to the movie one,I think also because of my measurements I sent Jameel,but now it's perfect,and works really well to close and never incidentally open when walking or moving hands inside the pockets etc (look at the snake-like shape I give the hook,that's the thing making the closure works perfect together with closeness to a magnet).
I put a 2mm thick and about 25cm long half-moon shaped neoprene piece inside the lower part of the collar (centered on the back of the neck and hidden seamed to the fur) to give the collar a more structured base (similarly to what was done by Mechanismo with the buckram solution).
The fur I distressed has been further well trimmed all the way around the edge.
The coat seems to have kinda cut on the lower part,from back to front longer on the front,I didn't work on it to emphasize that cut,even cause when I wear it closed,it's barely or not at all visible,when opened,if I put the collar very close to my neck,it's visible,if I wear the coat rough and ready,it's not,but I don't consider that such a crucial point for me.

At the moment finally so,I have to say that's the very end of the job for my coat,and perfect for me...I will just do some other baking paper ironing on the fur (the combed look has lost a little after all that working and reworking,but the comparison really satisfies me).
To be exactly looking as the movie,in addition to avoiding that mistake, now quite well fixed, on the 4 stitches (if someone of you will go for such tweak,be very careful),I think the only thing that could really gave that coat the final touch to be really identical to the movie one,would be having one in the same fabric and the same color of the one in the movie,and imho,it's simply impossible. I try to explain why.

The fabric of the one in the film is a laminated one with a coating that would reasonably be half the consistency of Jameel's or SR's one(reason why in many stills it seems uncoated), it is duck and not twill, and the color is similar to Jameel's cloth, or if we prefer, something that stays in between Jameel's and SR's, but considering what R.April said about "they repainted the laminated cotton fabric on their own because they didn't like it when they got it", and that the different shades are also due to various scenic effects and lights of the movie, it is certainly impossible to be exactly the same of the movie with any potential fabric that will never be found even as similar as possible. And what already argued on the evident differences between the same production coats (not identical to each other) is another confirmation of that.

So,have a good day you all,and enjoy your coat when winter will come.
Good luck to Jameel Ur if he will ever find such a fabric

Attachments

• VID_20230815_115806.mp4
    20.1 MB
  • IMG_20230815_120826.jpg
    IMG_20230815_120826.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20230815_124846.jpg
    IMG_20230815_124846.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20230816_110925.jpg
    IMG_20230816_110925.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20230816_110955.jpg
    IMG_20230816_110955.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 172
  • comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 161
  • comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 161
  • closure 3.jpg
    closure 3.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20230817_110707n.jpg
    IMG_20230817_110707n.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 116
  • cut2.jpg
    cut2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back