Rubies Han Solo Blaster

Rikdorl

So a few years back, I was at Disney world and I bought the Hasbro Han Solo blaster thinking I was gonna paint it to make it look like the one in the movie. Unfortunately I didn't have any sort of experience doing anything like that before and I never did finish it. There are two reasons although the main reason is the job I did sanding down the text was terrible. The other reason was I really didn't understand how best to handle spray paint.

2014-11-01 17.59.19.jpg

I've always wanted to go back and take another stab at doing it right and since I live it Canada, the Rubies costume piece is probably my best bet for getting a somewhat accurate look. A couple weeks ago I filled in the screw holes with Bondo and sanded down the text (no horrible scratches this time!)

2014-10-20 20.06.11.jpg

And yesterday I scrubbed it down and added my primer coat, grey Rust-oleum Ultra Cover 2x primer.

2014-10-31 15.53.44.jpg

This morning I got up early to get the next coat on, Krylon Nickel.

2014-11-01 10.07.39.jpg

We're expecting rain here in Newfoundland for the next week so it looks like I need to wait awhile before I mask off the flash hider and paint the whole thing black but I'm super pumped to get moving on this. It's not perfect, there's a couple spots that I can unfortunately still see orange peeking through, but they're places that will be coated in black so I just have to make sure that they get fully coated with the final coat.

2014-11-01 14.18.53.jpg2014-11-01 14.18.48.jpg

So I finally got around to masking the blaster off. Not exactly easy given how smooshed everything is together at the flash hider part.

2014-11-07 10.06.36.jpg

Now today I finally got the first coat of black on there, but I kinda screwed up and it came out a little blobby on the bottom, back of the grip and eye piece of the scope. I guess I'm gonna have to sand those areas down and spray it again when it dries, so probably in another week.

2014-11-07 10.08.47.jpg

I'm super psyched for how its looking, not taking that tape off is gonna be hell.

2014-11-07 10.06.36.jpg

2014-11-07 10.08.47.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually looking really good Rikdorl. Will you be doing the grips and flash hider as well? Will you be weathering it too, or are you going for a more pristine look?

Nope, definitely going to try my hand at weathering it. Gonna do a wash over the flash hider once I get the black finished to bring out a carbon scored look. As for the grip, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. At the very least I might get a couple browns and dry brush a light brown and a dark brown over the black. Not sure how I'm gonna weather the main body yet. still kinda new to this kinda stuff.

Nope, definitely going to try my hand at weathering it. Gonna do a wash over the flash hider once I get the black finished to bring out a carbon scored look. As for the grip, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. At the very least I might get a couple browns and dry brush a light brown and a dark brown over the black. Not sure how I'm gonna weather the main body yet. still kinda new to this kinda stuff.
Try weathering its quite easy, get some tooth paste or Vaseline on the parts you want to be bare silver on the silver coat and spray black. With a couple washes it will turn out nice

Try weathering its quite easy, get some tooth paste or Vaseline on the parts you want to be bare silver on the silver coat and spray black. With a couple washes it will turn out nice
Darn, I wish I had known that before I sprayed on the black. I'll have to figure something out.

I couldn't resist taking off the masking tape and I'm super pleased with how it's turning out. Still gotta sand down those blobby areas but I'm almost ready to start weathering and detailing this thing!

2014-11-08 10.15.09.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back