RS Prop Masters 10th Anniversary Stunt Helmet

SL Vader Helmet with the RS HDPE. These two go so good together. It's like they were made for each other. :)

_CJP9658.jpg

Yeah, I may have to sell some helmets. If they do it like the did the ones in the past. I like the gloss.

Forgive my ignorance but I’m having real difficulty in understanding which would be a better option Plastic wise. I really like the idea of owning something that looks the real deal, but would also prefer something that is sturdy. Wonder if a better option for myself would be to have an ABS painted from RS?

Forgive my ignorance but I’m having real difficulty in understanding which would be a better option Plastic wise. I really like the idea of owning something that looks the real deal, but would also prefer something that is sturdy. Wonder if a better option for myself would be to have an ABS painted from RS?

It's easy, I think. If you want to have a helmet EXACTLY the same as a screen used one, with the same materials, which looks the same from the inside and will expose it as your most valuable piece, you'll change your family picture to put instead this helmet, a piece of art you could pass as an original helmet and with almost the same fragance as a real one so you can smell the same George Lucas and the actors, then you want the HDPE limited edition. If you want the best price/accuracy helmet nowadays, which looks EXACTLY THE SAME, with the same casting tells as a screen used one, but with no brown paint chips (which were almost unseen in the movies and supossed not to be there), and it won't bother you because your helmet is not green/brown INSIDE, then buy an ABS one, and you will also save a few bucks.

I think they would have made the stunt helmets ABS too if they had the possibility, because they made the Hero helmets this way. Maybe they were tricked by AA or it was just cheaper to do the stunts in HDPE so they could save some money for other things. Nowadays it's the other way around, HDPE helmets are more expensive because they have to search for the correct colour.

Another option is to buy an ABS Hero helmet, so you get the win/win situation.

It's easy, I think. If you want to have a helmet EXACTLY the same as a screen used one, with the same materials, which looks the same from the inside and will expose it as your most valuable piece, you'll change your family picture to put instead this helmet, a piece of art you could pass as an original helmet and with almost the same fragance as a real one so you can smell the same George Lucas and the actors, then you want the HDPE limited edition. If you want the best price/accuracy helmet nowadays, which looks EXACTLY THE SAME, with the same casting tells as a screen used one, but with no brown paint chips (which were almost unseen in the movies and supossed not to be there), and it won't bother you because your helmet is not green/brown INSIDE, then buy an ABS one, and you will also save a few bucks.

I think they would have made the stunt helmets ABS too if they had the possibility, because they made the Hero helmets this way. Maybe they were tricked by AA or it was just cheaper to do the stunts in HDPE so they could save some money for other things. Nowadays it's the other way around, HDPE helmets are more expensive because they have to search for the correct colour.

Another option is to buy an ABS Hero helmet, so you get the win/win situation.
Thanks for your input, it’s appreciated. The problem these days I think is we have too much choice compared to years ago lol. I really like the idea of a painted helmet but don’t like the sound of the feel of HDPE. But then again I’m not familiar with it, just from what I’ve heard about it.

OK you guys convinced me...
I finally pulled the trigger on RS HDPE Stunt:)

The original ESB stunts were refinished from ANH,
So I'll be doing the same to this RS bucket for prop accuracy.
Will RS be finishing it to the ESB style or will you convert it once you receive it?

This question (which is aimed at the guys who own an HDPE bucket), what is the feel of the helmet compared to an ABS version? Does the HDPE have a more flimsy or bendy feel compared to it’s ABS brother? Really struggling deciding on which plastic version to go for.

I haven't owned a HDPE helmet yet, but they say the paint comes off pretty easily. If you plan on handling the helmet, keep that in mind. An ABS helmet doesn't do that.

Some people have painted an ABS helmet the color of the HDPE with white over it to get the look.

I have both... 2 HPDE and one ABS... if you didn't know the green was painted it feels about the same... I can't FEEL any difference that my mind already puts in there. But the paint will chip right off just like the originals

That's the part that I would be worried about. I have their early helmets and they are cracking and falling apart and I haven't even touched them. Will the paint flake off or spiderweb over time?

That's the part that I would be worried about. I have their early helmets and they are cracking and falling apart and I haven't even touched them. Will the paint flake off or spiderweb over time?
That may depend on the conditions the helmet is in (direct light, temperature, humidity, etc). Some of the real helmets flaked worse than others.

I've ordered one but am nervous. I'd previously been waiting on a PVC stunt which I had asked to be assembled to match the original helmet that they used to make their molds. I had noticed that the placement, angle and position of the ears didn't match the photos they showed of their original helmet, so wanted mine to be put together to match the original. I waited a lot longer than their usual timescale and was told that it takes time to do a custom order. Painted details weren't matching up to the original helmets either. I sent lots of photos to illustrate my observations. RS PM told me that if I ordered an HDPE from them, it would only be available as a finished helmet and more disappointingly, I was told that it would be assembled "as they do it." As I had already pointed out, the ears were not installed correctly so I'd hate to receive an HDPE which has the same issues. They've got the original helmet in their possession, so I would hope that it will be possible to match the assembly / trim lines accurately. It will be a great helmet if assembled and painted / detailed properly, but it seems like it's pot luck about whether you get a good one or not.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back