RS Prop Masters 10th Anniversary Stunt Helmet

Exactly. If you look at the stunt helmet on the website (the photo I marked up), the ear is sloping in the wrong direction entirely compared to the horizontal brow trim (and I'm sorry to say it, but that's the problem with how they've assembled your Sandtrooper too).
The Jim Dowdall helmet that you've shown looks the best to me. I haven't seen any original helmets which have the grey rectangle on the ear sloping down towards the back. The rectangle on the ears should always be sloping forwards compared to the brow trim like it does on your Jim Dowdall helmet.

Last edited:
Exactly. If you look at the stunt helmet on the website (the photo I marked up), the ear is sloping in the wrong direction entirely compared to the horizontal brow trim (and I'm sorry to say it, but that's the problem with how they've assembled your Sandtrooper too).
The Jim Dowdall helmet that you've shown looks the best to me. I haven't seen any original helmets which have the grey rectangle on the ear sloping down towards the back. The rectangle on the ears should always be sloping forwards compared to the brow trim like it does on your Jim Dowdall helmet.
I agree on the slope. The slope on the ESB is pretty good too.

I don't think the ear needs to be too close to the tear, but 1.5 inches looks like too big of a gap.

I hadn't noticed this issue with my sandtrooper helmet previously. Now it will bug me. The ear is too vertical.

It appears to vary from helmet to helmet. Maybe it depends who made it.

Can these helmets be disassembled without harming the HDPE cast?
I don't know how fragile the hdpe is, but it sounds like that much handling would cause alot of paint to flake off.

I believe these are painted after assembly. If the intent is to reposition the parts, you will probably expose unpainted areas.

I don't understand the explanation for the unpainted screws in the Shepperton Design Studios photo. I can believe that the helmets were repainted after that photo, but why would the screwheads be unpainted in that photo if the ears were on when Shepperton painted them? I know other photos show there isn't paint under the ears. Maybe Shepperton used some other way to affix the ears such as glue, painted the helmets, then added the screws for a more reliable attachment.

I don't understand the explanation for the unpainted screws in the Shepperton Design Studios photo. I can believe that the helmets were repainted after that photo, but why would the screwheads be unpainted in that photo if the ears were on when Shepperton painted them? I know other photos show there isn't paint under the ears. Maybe Shepperton used some other way to affix the ears such as glue, painted the helmets, then added the screws for a more reliable attachment.

Uh... The helmets were painted before the ears were attached and after. Many photos of the bare plastic negative area of the ears is just because the paint flaked off; the final sealing coat of paint was done with the ears on which is why the unsealed area under the ear disintegrated first.

So basically

First layer: ears off primer+paint

Final coat: ears on, paint.

Uh... The helmets were painted before the ears were attached and after. Many photos of the bare plastic negative area of the ears is just because the paint flaked off; the final sealing coat of paint was done with the ears on which is why the unsealed area under the ear disintegrated first.

So basically

First layer: ears off primer+paint

Final coat: ears on, paint.

This is the photo the video refers to. The helmet and ears are painted, but the ear screws are not. Some think this proves the helmet was painted without the ears on. In the RS video, Rob doesn't. Obviously the left helmet on the bottom row was painted without the ears.

streethelmets1.jpg

Referring to the below photos, there appears to be some remnants of a different white in the ear areas. I assume the original paint done by Shepperton.

Possibly the explanation is Shepperton painted them without the ears on. The ears were painted separately and installed resulting in unpainted screws. The paint started flaking so badly the helmets were not usable, so they removed the flaking paint, then primed and painted the whole helmet with the ears on. The left helmet appears to have some brighter white on the face. Maybe that is also remnants of the original white layer.

I guess to be really authentic, they should be painted a bright white without the ears, paint the ears the same white, install the ears, possibly try to flake off any loose paint, prime the whole helmet with the red, then paint with the final gloss creamy white.

two_storms01.jpg

two_storms03.jpg

two_storms04.jpg

Last edited:
This is the photo the video refers to. The helmet and ears are painted, but the ear screws are not. Some think this proves the helmet was painted without the ears on. In the RS video, Rob doesn't. Obviously the left helmet on the bottom row was painted without the ears.

View attachment 1321616

Referring to the below photos, there appears to be some remnants of a different white in the ear areas. I assume the original paint done by Shepperton.

Possibly the explanation is Shepperton painted them without the ears on. The ears were painted separately and installed resulting in unpainted screws. The paint started flaking so badly the helmets were not usable, so they removed the flaking paint, then primed and painted the whole helmet with the ears on. The left helmet appears to have some brighter white on the face. Maybe that is also remnants of the original white layer.

I guess to be really authentic, they should be painted a bright white without the ears, paint the ears the same white, install the ears, possibly try to flake off any loose paint, prime the whole helmet with the red, then paint with the final gloss creamy white.

View attachment 1321617
View attachment 1321618
View attachment 1321619

Those photos are further illustrating my point.

This has already been discussed and confirmed. You're misunderstanding.

The helmets were painted red primer then with a white undercoat BEFORE ears were installed.

The ears in that black and white photo are unpainted as they are formed in white ABS thus why the screws are unpainted.

The helmet was then painted AGAIN, white as a final colour coat and sealed in a paint coat (clear coat from memory)

The reason the paint flakes in the area that the ear is located is because that area isnt sealed from the final coat, causing it to flake whilst the final coated area remains white.

Why do we not see any remnants of red primer on those helmets?

If these photos were more hi-res you would see it on the ear section of the "stop that ship"helmet in the last photo. It's there but usually comes off with the white paint. It's oversprayed on the inside of the helmets too.

Ben

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back