Round2 Acquires Star Wars License

According to scalemates ... Round2 will come with an updated/new parts AT-AT 1/100 scale kit :

Analyzer ... and yes I have replaced the rubber band inside the old Airfix AT-AT kit just once, since 1982 ... I left the cockpit back-end unglued so I still have access inside ;)

Chaïm
That was smart!

I closed mine up and have two of them that have no heads attached currently

I did repair one of them at one point by creating a wire replacement part for the rubber band to snag on to, but after several years the rubber band broke again

And the 1/100 is definitely the scale for the classis MPC kit not the wind up snap kit. That is good news

I guess my question is whether this 'some folks buying a few re-pops made the better new tool kits possible" theory is an assumption we are all making or is it a fact?
They say the repops are to make some easy money and to gauge interest, we have only their word as to how well it did. My point is that the new tools have been worth it, so who cares how they come about.

The AT-AT was one of the better MPC kits, so an updated repop sounds good to me. When I built mine in 1980 I got two kits and swapped the legs so I had one with four posable legs and one stiffy.

The AT-AT was one of the better MPC kits, so an updated repop sounds good to me. When I built mine in 1980 I got two kits and swapped the legs so I had one with four posable legs and one stiffy.
That's what I should have done ... and opted doing so with 2 other kits years later ... before I send one of those kits to VFX Freak, who did an incredible job on it. Anyhow back in 1982 I opted for surgery and my Airfix AT-AT can 'move', from a certain point of view, and yes fall over too, you can see it here on the far right :

TheEmpireStrikesBack.jpg

Chaïm

Wait, are Round2-kits sold in places like Walmart in the US?

Yes, pallets have been popping up at Wal-Mart. Mostly Trek and Space 1999 kits from what I recall

I have also spotted their kits at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby (mostly the Trek stuff is what I notice)

Yes, pallets have been popping up at Wal-Mart. Mostly Trek and Space 1999 kits from what I recall

I have also spotted their kits at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby (mostly the Trek stuff is what I notice)
Wow that's a big difference to Germany then. Even the crappy Revell kits are available in less and less places (which were essentially the only kits you could get for the past 15 years, apart from ordering from the internet or hobby shops, with the exception of a handful of Italeri items). Most non-hobby shops abandon or drastically reduce their model kit stock. I could not imagine that kits from smaller manufacturers were available openly.

Please say that the retailer grabbed the wrong box art for the AT-AT

That is the wind up version (which is about half the size of the regular MPC AT-AT)

If the scale of 1/100 is correct, then that is definitely the wrong image. If they are indeed re-releasing the wind up version I guess maybe they figure it would appeal to younger kids

It is a solid no for me if that is the case

We had this discussion over at Starshipmodeler, pretty sure the wrong box art was selected.

I guess my question is whether this 'some folks buying a few re-pops made the better new tool kits possible" theory is an assumption we are all making or is it a fact? Did the MPC Eagle re-pop really sell that well? I passed on it the same way as robn1 did, but I scooped up the 1/48 kit the day it was in stock. I totally agree that re-pops are essentially "found money" but the down side is that it floods the market with crappier kits. Yes, there are casual modelers or impulse buyers who might not care, but wouldn't it be better for the hobby if those same buyers were getting simply a better model from jump? Wouldn't the process of building it be more enjoyable, the end product more pleasing, and therefore the entire modeling experience overall better? I guess I look back at my own frustrations as a young modeler building the MPC Falcon or star destroyer models and knowing instantly that "these don't look anything like what I see on screen and in pictures." Compare that to building ANY Bandai kit. They go together with precision, they are in mostly consistent scales, and they look like the filmming miniatures. It certainly serves R2's bottom line to push the narrative that we all need to buy lesser kits to get better kits, but R2 is going to make that better kit anyway if it thinks it can make money. Star Wars is not Space:1999. It's not like it's a mostly cult-appeal British TV show from the mid-70s that is really only still relevant because it had a few cool spaceship designs. It's Star Wars for heck sake.
Well if it was Just the space 1999 Eagle you might have a point but R2 has done VERY well with the Star Trek line as well. The have put out a nice mix of new and old kits. in the beginning it was almost all older kits - then they started making some of the best star trek kits ever made. I'm hopeful a similar strategy will work for the star wars line :)

Jedi Dade

Yes, pallets have been popping up at Wal-Mart. Mostly Trek and Space 1999 kits from what I recall.
I've been seeing and hearing about R2 models in various Wal-Marts around the US (mainly mentioned on FB) for some time now, but have yet to see anything here in California.

- then they started making some of the best star trek kits ever made.

Yes, and...

I agree. And I don't want to just be a voice of doom and gloom. R2 has put out some good/great kits. I bought the K'tinga day one and was overall very happy (the twisted neck section is something I see every time I look at the model though). I'm holding off on the Galileo for now hoping a version with an interior is released soon. I'm also, however, still wrestling with a 1/350 Refit (which was Polar Lights, of course) so my overall mood about Trek kits is skewed.

If R2 can come close to Bandai in terms of detail and accuracy, I'll be the first to sing their praises.

We had this discussion over at Starshipmodeler, pretty sure the wrong box art was selected.
Retailer has updated their description: "Here is part of the first wave of new classic Star Wars model kits by MPC models. This is a snap together model kit so no glue or paint will be required. It comes with decals and instructions and will come with all new box art.

NOT ACTUAL BOX ART. FOR REFERENCE ONLY!"

So, they just plugged in old box art for the purpose of taking pre-orders. FYI.

I really hope that R2 comes out with a ship never made in styrene so far (at a decent size). I'd jump for joy for a Tantive IV, a 1/48 scale Y-Wing, or even a Jawa Sandcrawler. I have the Eagle 1/48 and the K'tinga, and for both of them the research work done by R2 is very good. Not at Bandai levels, sure, but still good.

I really hope that R2 comes out with a ship never made in styrene so far (at a decent size). I'd jump for joy for ... a 1/48 scale Y-Wing... Not at Bandai levels, sure, but still good.
Seriously. I had to jump for this 3D-printed Y as it's amazing--but 3 times the price of a hypothetical Bandai kit. Imagine how many (styrene-priced) Y-wings I'd grab.
Mike Todd

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back