Round2 Acquires Star Wars License

I want a big Millennium Falcon that doesn't cost $300.
I wanted a Bandai PG Falcon so bad, but could never get the money together.
Please, Round2, make a big Falcon for like $100.
I really don't think they could do that for that price, I'd say if they were to update the MPC Falcon with accurate dimensions (right hull thickness, tapering down to the correct sidewall height), moulded on greeblies - if they were a simplified, true representation & location of the 5 footers details, but without undercuts etc, perhaps a few pipes etc to give a 3d dimension???

So really what I'm saying, if the existing 1979 MPC Falcon were to get a part for part re-do, but add on some plant-on pipes & greeblies, it should be considerably less expensive to buy than the FineMolds & PG Falcon

Maybe $150?....& if they did it as the 5 footer with added ESB landing gear??

I'd buy that, without a doubt

J

To fix the MPC falcon would require a complete retool. Its "close' in so many ways which means its also "wrong" in so many ways. but I do believe that a VERY good falcon could be made that would rival the PG Bandai falcon with 1/2 the parts (or less) don't get me wrong I LOVE that PG falcon...and all the plant-on parts make you feel like you could be in ILM in the 70's but if we're being honest a lot of it could be done as larger sub assemblies and look pretty much as good.

This is NOT a knock on the Bandai kit... its a grail kit really. just saying that R2 "could" easily make some REALLY good kits for a lot less money... and I've got my fingers crossed that they will follow the example from Space 1999. A blockade runner basically the same size as the 1/48 Eagle would be 22"... and that would be totally within the doable range and cost similar to the Eagle $100-$150

Or something like the Zvezda SD in the same price range... again would be pretty awesome. The 1/350 Enterprise Kits are also large, awesome and between 100-150... with add on electronics kits...

I feel very confident R2 will not disappoint with whatever they decide to put out... and we only have to wait until wonderfest to find out what it is!

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
^^^^^
This is true - but "cheap" vs. affordable are different things.

Also what is affordable to and reasonable to me - may not be for you. So with that in mind I'll hope for Quality and reasonably priced but expensive enough that they make a LOT of money and keep making more cool stuff. :)

Jedi Dade

To fix the MPC falcon would require a complete retool. Its "close' in so many ways which means its also "wrong" in so many ways. but I do believe that a VERY good falcon could be made that would rival the PG Bandai falcon with 1/2 the parts (or less) don't get me wrong I LOVE that PG falcon...and all the plant-on parts make you feel like you could be in ILM in the 70's but if we're being honest a lot of it could be done as larger sub assemblies and look pretty much as good.

This is NOT a knock on the Bandai kit... its a grail kit really. just saying that R2 "could" easily make some REALLY good kits for a lot less money... and I've got my fingers crossed that they will follow the example from Space 1999. A blockade runner basically the same size as the 1/48 Eagle would be 22"... and that would be totally within the doable range and cost similar to the Eagle $100-$150

Or something like the Zvezda SD in the same price range... again would be pretty awesome. The 1/350 Enterprise Kits are also large, awesome and between 100-150... with add on electronics kits...

I feel very confident R2 will not disappoint with whatever they decide to put out... and we only have to wait until wonderfest to find out what it is!

Jedi Dade
This is what I'm imagining.
A kit similar to the MPC but molded off an existing scratch build, like Haystack's, for example, would be pretty cool, and shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Bandai have put out a huge range of kits at unbeatable quality levels, but almost all really small.

It's looking like Round2 will release (in addition to repops for the nostalgic) a couple of much larger kits of decent quality. But a large Falcon? That'd be really expensive to produce!

Last edited:
This is what I'm imagining.
A kit similar to the MPC but molded off an existing scratch build, like Haystack's, for example, would be pretty cool, and shouldn't be terribly expensive.

I don't think they would do that nowadays. Everything would be designed in 3D so they could tool the moulds. I would assume that whichever company did the 3D stuff for the Eagles, that they would take as much care for the details of whatever that they're doing with the Star Wars side of it.

TazMan2000

^ Yup. I've seen it called many things over the years. I personally call it the Reality Equation: Cost. Quality. Sweat-Equity. Pick two. "Sweat-equity" is whatever attribute is desired in the item or from its maker. If you want something quickly, you have to pay more, or it'll be crap. If you want something big, you have to pay more, or it'll be crap. If you want high detail, you have to pay more, or it'll be crap. Etc.

I'd be all for a big cheap kit even if it only served as a base. I'd be all for something that you could easily make into a super kit by adding your own detailing. Go light on the details, skimp on accessories, and let us fill in the blanks!

Jedi Dade

Yes I thought the same thing doing my FM falcon.. really no reason with modern tooling this could not be reproduced with a large amount of the greeblies attached. That should produce a quality kit at cheaper cost.

I open this question to everyone though as an honest question, what is expected to be seen?

What is considered right? What constitutes a correct falcon? Correct sidewall height? Yup definetely, correct mandibles and jawbox angle as an isdue on the FM falcon? Yeah ok but a less noticeable problem than the MPC sidewall issue.

And do people want a Falcon model kit you click together in 30 minutes? The 800 plus pieces seem somewhat over the top but I guess you know your building a model.

We have 2 studio models we can sensibly base a kit off, plus 2 film sets and a CGI model all in the original trilogy. Accept the special edition or not for many people the CGI stuff is there. And all of these are different.

So are we trying to build the Millennium Falcon in some incarnation of 5 different variations or a replica of a studio model?

Lets go with the 32" falcon. Say you get it externally perfect, no missing greeblies, all the correct shapes and sizes... perfect. What about the cockpit? The 32" model does not have the studio cockpit. You will get divided opinions about which way this should go. Joe public will say the studio cockpit as they want to build the Millennium Falcon, those who want to build the studio model replica will say the studio model cockpit.
I guess both options could be provided.

What about the 5ft model? Ok great do we want the 3bay ANH Falcon or the later updated 5 bay 5 footer? Again perhaps the provision to build both could be offered.

Id love to see a Shuttle Tyderium based on the studio model. There's the MPC that's deemed horribly inaccurate... yeah compared to the studio model, not to the full scale set though that its seemingly based on. Again we have 2 very different versions of the same ship.

I think Star Wars is hard as theres such a large fan base, some just happy to build an X-wing or a Falcon and have no idea of the incorrect shaped fuselage or missing greeblies etc but then there's the guys that Star Wars is real to them, its almost alive and are really itching for that perfect product.

And the vehicles are so intense. We're not talking a sleek U.S.S Enterprise here that still took years for companies to get right, we're talking vehicles littered in Greeblies to be identified and copied and using the studio models today as a basis
and that craps fallen off and they've aged badly etc and mistakes in copying are easy to make.

I just see this all as being a nightmare for a model company to reproduce something with the high expectations set by the fans. Now there's no excuse we should be offered up things like the MPC Falcon in this day of age and the quality standards set by Fine Molds and then Bandai across their range has been phenomenal and should be maintained. Do we really think we will better this? Maybe? But I predict there being a divide here of satisfied and dissatisfied fans. It's hard to be all things for a people.
Cheers,
Josh

Id love to see a Shuttle Tyderium based on the studio model. There's the MPC that's deemed horribly inaccurate... yeah compared to the studio model, not to the full scale set though that its seemingly based on. Again we have 2 very different versions of the same ship.
yeah, "horribly Inaccurate" isn't all a bad thing. I look at these models and think that if the "real" one had actually looked like this, I'd like it just as much. It's that way with the MPC Tyderium, but definitely NOT with the MPC MF. And for the PG MF...I think it may be the best model kit ever made of any subject (real or sci-fi) in any scale. And that includes accuracy, based on the 5-footer. And still, I want one (that size) based on the 32-incher and just as accurate. I don't think I'll get it, so you don't have to bomb my post. But it shows you how hard it is to have a real crowd pleaser.
Mike Todd

yeah, "horribly Inaccurate" isn't all a bad thing. I look at these models and think that if the "real" one had actually looked like this, I'd like it just as much. It's that way with the MPC Tyderium, but definitely NOT with the MPC MF. And for the PG MF...I think it may be the best model kit ever made of any subject (real or sci-fi) in any scale. And that includes accuracy, based on the 5-footer. And still, I want one (that size) based on the 32-incher and just as accurate. I don't think I'll get it, so you don't have to bomb my post. But it shows you how hard it is to have a real crowd pleaser.
Mike Todd

Hi Mike,
I wasn't looking to bomb anyones post haha. I was just opening the conversation.
See I built the 1/72 Fine Molds Falcon, based on the 32" over christmas just gone and think its fantastic. Ok theres some issues but they dont bother me. Predominantly all the Greeblies are there, the overall shapes good. I upgraded a few parts and to me its the Falcon and Im happy.

Point of post though there's a lot of people that find the kit quite inaccurate and cant unsee the details they perceive wrong.

So I guess I'm wondering at what point will people be satisfied? Are they happy to accrurise a kit? Do they mind adding detail? because I just dont see a model company getting a kit that perfect?

Cheers
Josh

Hi Mike,
I wasn't looking to bomb anyones post haha. I was just opening the conversation.
See I built the 1/72 Fine Molds Falcon, based on the 32" over christmas just gone and think its fantastic. Ok theres some issues but they dont bother me. Predominantly all the Greeblies are there, the overall shapes good. I upgraded a few parts and to me its the Falcon and Im happy.

Point of post though there's a lot of people that find the kit quite inaccurate and cant unsee the details they perceive wrong.

So I guess I'm wondering at what point will people be satisfied? Are they happy to accrurise a kit? Do they mind adding detail? because I just dont see a model company getting a kit that perfect?

Cheers
Josh
I guess I am one of those dopes who thought the Tydiruium was a good kit. I now know that the angle on the cockpit is grossly wrong, but if you fixed that, I think it would be a good kit. At least it's not too small! ;)

I guess I am one of those dopes who thought the Tydiruium was a good kit. I now know that the angle on the cockpit is grossly wrong, but if you fixed that, I think it would be a good kit. At least it's not too small! ;)

And it is a good kit, and again if you look at the studio set the cockpit angles not wrong. Just wrong for the studio model. I actually really want and plan to build one.

But Ive read so much where people dismiss the kit as being inaccurate so should the model company base their kit on the studio set or the studio model?... both different and the studio got it wrong.

Cheers,
Josh

I just consider it to be something like the Concorde -- the nose dips for landing to give the pilots a better view of the landing area on approach. Build the MPC shuttle as-is in landed configuration? Accurate. Build it in flight? Cut and re-mount the cockpit at a flatter angle.

And it is a good kit, and again if you look at the studio set the cockpit angles not wrong. Just wrong for the studio model. I actually really want and plan to build one.

But Ive read so much where people dismiss the kit as being inaccurate so should the model company base their kit on the studio set or the studio model?... both different and the studio got it wrong.

Cheers,
Josh

I think Moebius ran into the same issue with their TOS Viper. They modeled it after the full scale set piece. It's my opinion that the old Revell/Monogram kit is a much better representation of the miniature version.

I think the MPC shuttle is best displayed in landed position looking at it from the front on since it is based on the full size set which has much different angles than the filming model

It looks a bit odd in flight when viewing from the side

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back