ROTJ Speederbike reference needed

marvin

Sr Member
HI Guys,

I'm thinking of making this my next studio scale project. I've got quite a lot of experience with vac forming so that's how I'll make the main shape. I'm a bit worried about the thinner front boom and pedal suspension but I'll see if I can tackle that somehow.

I really have very little in terms of reference material of the studio model. I was wondering if you guys can help me out by pointing me towards online reference or share any references you can. I'm especially looking for HQ top and side views (you know those black and white shots with the ruler) to get a sense of overall dimensions.

Thanks to anyone able and willing to help!

Marvin

Get a copy of STAR WARS TO JEDI: MAKING OF A SAGA used VHS on ebay or transfered to DVD in bootleg form - They have some good footage of the small speeder bike

I'm not sure which kit it is, but I see some steering/suspension linkage used from an F1 car on the S.S bike(I'm almost 100% sure of it).1/12 scale I think?Probably Tamiya.I also heard that the Matilda tank offered some parts to the lower body at the rear,but again...not sure and if so..."the scale".Might be a larger scale and who knows who made it?Just my 2 cents.

Ive not yet found any concrete donors on this prop, at least not the big stuff such as bodywork.
Its all f1 based, on the 312T i believe, the front vanes also replicate parts from the BT46, but scaled up.
Its another A wing style build, kit parts maybe made a maquette, then got scaled up into a more camera friendly studio filming mini ?

Just my two cents... Lee

@ Roberto
Thanks! Those are some pretty good shots I hadn't seen before! Although I believe the first few shots are for the full scale bike right?

@TylerH
I'll see if I can find that documentary somewhere. Sounds promising.

@Lee and JPolacchi
Yes definitely F1 based. I believe Jason commented in an old thread as well that he thought that kit parts were used only for the mock-up after which everything looked scaled up scratchbuilds. That's why I'd really like some f those ortho pics with the ruler so I can deduct the overall dimension and get somewhere scale wise.

That's one of the bikes used for the video animatics. I'm not sure where it comes in the design lineage, but Johnson's first model is said to have used the halves of a Space Shuttle nose section upside down at the rear. You can see the 'echo' of it in the final design, down to the window cut-outs.

Belly front pan is a dead ringer for the Ferrari 312b. Also, i see a Brabham BT44 front caliper in the nose, so, it must have used a modicum of original donors.

lee

Yep those engine flaps were the first things i recognised when i opened up my first flakvierling kit :)

I've found a sideview with ruler that Julien posted in an old thread so i have very rough dimensions. I'd like to see if the parts have all been scaled up because that front end is an exact match for the brabham nose cone in terms of proportions and detailing. Anyoneknow hoiw i could get the measurements of the brabham noscone?

Marvin

Yeah i meant the 312. I must have had my kit scans mixed up. You can see the same indentations on the speeder that are on the 312 nose cone. I'll do some basic proportion measurement this weekend. Still looking for a top view for that.

Marvin

From what I understand, these donor parts were indeed used on the prototype but then the actual production models were scratched based on those proportions and details, at other scales. If true, you're not going to find exact matches in other models.

Found an oooooold CD-ROM "Behind the Magic" and ripped some info. From this CD come the following statements, which suggest the guys in the shop went straight to modeling and created the final model using kit parts:

ROTJ_Speederbike_Concept_Ref_01.jpg

Marvin

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back