Romulan Bird-Of-Prey from TOS-FINISHED with VIDEO!!!

Re: Romulan Bird-Of-Prey from TOS

Here are some pics I just took a few minutes ago...

Parts for a second Talon. Still have to make the wings.
Figure on another few hours of work to finish it.
This one will have folded wings to fit inside the hangar bay.
The first Talon has wings in the open position for flight so it won't fit in the bay.
I figure, with two bays, why not have two fighters eh?

IMG_1141.jpg

Pics of the upper hull after giving her a good rubdown with Tamiya silver pastel chalk.
Basically I'd wet my fingertip and dip it in the chalk then rub it over the Dullcoted hull.
Then I went back over it with a strip of tee shirt rubbing it until most of the chalk was removed.
This left enough chalk behind to give it a nice metallic sheen...

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

Next I'll do the underside. Then I'll seal it and add some weathering with black pastel chalk.
Maybe a little light scorching here and there but not too much of that as this is supposed to be a relatively new ship.
Still, I figure those Neutral Zone outposts must have had some small patrol ships on station so she might have taken a few hits on her mission of terror before her fateful encounter with the Enterprise.

Well after 9 months I finally consider this one done.
I named this flagship of the Romulan fleet, ChR Gal Gath'thong. Quoted from Memory Beta:
"The ChR Gal Gath'thong (also known as the Tellus or Nhorazz) was a Vas Hatham-class Romulan starship in service in the late 23rd century.
In the 2260s, the Gal Gath'thong was commanded by Commander Keras and served as the Praetor's flagship. (CCG: These Are the Voyages)"

More of the article here:
ChR Gal Gath'thong - Memory Beta, non-canon Star Trek Wiki

So without further delay, here are a few pics:
IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

I can post more photos (including ones with the lights turned on) if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

I would like to see pics with the lights on. I've watched this build from the beginning, you did a lot of work and it really shows. Great job :thumbsup

Here are some pics of the top, bottom, front, back, and side. Some with the Talon for size comparison:
IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

Beauty Shots:
IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

Here are some thumnails you can click on and view in a larger format.
Hopefully I can upload the video tomorrow.
It takes forever on Youtube!

Cool video, thanks for making it! And the other site is fine, folks mention other sites all the time.

Never heard of that forum, I'll check it out.

Cool video, thanks for making it! And the other site is fine, folks mention other sites all the time.

Never heard of that forum, I'll check it out.

You're welcome Rob! And please do check out Tom's site. He needs good members like you; he gets a lot of spammers. I told him you might visit and he's all excited! :lol

Really great build, you made this basic kit look really cool.

Working on one now myself, almost done with the build. The putty work on this kit is brutal, so hard to get into those tiny spaces and sand it down well.

The putty work on this kit is brutal, so hard to get into those tiny spaces and sand it down well.

You said it! With all the modifications I made extending the hull and reshaping the wings I spent quite a few hours puttying and sanding to get the hull smooth. So many times I thought I had it licked but then I'd pirme her again and still see surface irregularities. The thing that saved me was Mr Surfacer as I recall. It was usually the final coat before finish sanding and it did the trick.

You said it! With all the modifications I made extending the hull and reshaping the wings I spent quite a few hours puttying and sanding to get the hull smooth. So many times I thought I had it licked but then I'd pirme her again and still see surface irregularities. The thing that saved me was Mr Surfacer as I recall. It was usually the final coat before finish sanding and it did the trick.
Yep, on my 4th time re-puttying it now. Have not used Mr Surfacer before, I will have to try it.

I am working on this kit too inspired by your work if it turns out half as good as yours I will be pleased. a couple questions, what size round tubing did you use and what size bulbs 3 mm or 5mm for lighting the windows

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back