ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Here are some details about Jyn Erso’s Holster Leg Strap. I did not think there was much value for this until more progress was made on her weapon (being covered in another RPF thread.) However the Disney Costume illustrates a weapon is not the only use some might want to make of their belt.

The Leg Strap is 5/8 inch wide. The length of the strap will depend upon the wearer and the height of the holster on that wearer. In general the strap will be 5 1/2 inches longer than the circumference of the wearer’s lower thigh as illustrated on the associated diagram. I would make the strap even longer to allow for a final fitting when all of the parts are ready to be combined. However one end of the strap can be finished in advance and this piece is a good starting point to practice or refresh your leatherworking skills. You will want to dye and weather your leather pieces before adding the hardware.

One end of the strap starts with a 5/8 inch wide keeper loop. This loop may be sewn to or riveted to the strap. Personally I believe I will thin (skive) the two ends of the keeper and stitch them to the strap as it provides a more finished approach. For those wishing to rivet the keeper there are two standard approaches; using two rivets, one for the top and bottom ends, or thinning (skiving) both ends of the loop so they can be overlapped and riveted to the strap with a single rivet. Any punched holes in the narrow strap will weaken the leather whereas proper stitching will strengthen it.

As the strap circles to the inside of the leg it has the stud/post portions of three 24 ligne snaps. The source of this detail is the Entertainment Weekly Cover photo and now the Disney costume. The first stud is located 3 inches from the edge of the keeper, with the remaining studs separated 3/4 inch on centers. This provides some adjustment to tighten or loosen the strap. All photos so far seem to use the stud closest to the keeper which provides the loosest fit.

The Leg Strap then circles behind the leg and is attached to the holster. Currently the screen-accurate method of attachment is unknown. There are several methods which might include being; stitched, riveted, threaded through a loop attached to the holster, or fed through a pair of parallel slots in the holster which act like a belt loop. These options could also be combined such as the strap might be fed through a pair of slots in the holster and the strap then be riveted or stitched. Again my personal preference is the last option as the use of any metal could damage the weapon (or cellphone, etc.) through contact. Also in a real-world situation, the metal could interfere with the ability to draw and use the weapon. I will probably start with the strap just fed through the slots until the fit, comfort, and positioning of the holster is well defined by use. Then once the position is determined the stitching can be accomplished. Using slots again provides a stronger method of attachment. Rivets or stitching alone can more easily rip from either the holster or the strap. This also allows me to produce the strap independently of the holster as a practice piece.

From the holster, the strap continues to the very end which contains the cap/socket portion of the 24 ligne snap. When worn, this end is fed through the keeper and snapped onto one of the three studs.
View attachment Holster Leg Strap.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone ! I would like to thank people here for their contribution, it help me a lot to find the items that I needed. I'm starting to make Jyn Erso "Imperial Ground Crew" costume, and I've made a list here on this thread : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=265444
The gloves and the boots are the same used for the imperial disguise.

Pop3.jpgbottes jyn.png

I've been able to get the diamond gloves and Frye boots this week, and I'll post here my progress. Here are some pics that I've found :

gloves 2.jpgjyn gloves.jpg

I've created a line drawing of the updated shirt structure. Any suggestions, changes?
(Updated 7/12/16 with body seam)
SHIRT.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the drawing. This shirt is what I am drafting today so it is nice to see that I am on the right track. On the original, there is a seam running down from the corner of the yoke to the hem on the left side as you look at it. You can see it (barely) on this photo I took at Comic Con but it was clear to the eye that there was a seam line there with topstitching about 1/4 inch to the right (as you look at it) of the seam.

thumb_IMG_7603_1024.jpg

Thanks for the drawing. This shirt is what I am drafting today so it is nice to see that I am on the right track. On the original, there is a seam running down from the corner of the yoke to the hem on the left side as you look at it. You can see it (barely) on this photo I took at Comic Con but it was clear to the eye that there was a seam line there with topstitching about 1/4 inch to the right (as you look at it) of the seam.

View attachment 663221

Oh, good! I had added that on version 1 of my shirt, but was afraid I had mistaken that for the seam at the top of the yoke! Thank you! I'll update the drawing tomorrow.

Okay - apologies if I have missed this. I have been following the tread on and off, and just skimmed through the 10 pages, and haven't seen a positive ID mentioned. It may be on other threads, but thought useful to post here: the hook-type greeblie that is on Jyn's vest.

You may want to search for a 'Czech M60 Olive Green Pack with Straps'. It is actually the straps that are the important part. The hook is part of the strap attachment rig to the M60 back pack. They are also present on the ends of straps. Note that not all versions of the Y-straps have the correct hook part on the strap ends. But all appear to have the correct hooks at the shoulder part of the rig.

Theoretically, purchasing one M60 bag with correct Y-strap rig will give you 2 'Jyn' hooks - the left and right sides appear to mirrored. So only 2 of the 4 will be correct.

I have not checked availability in the U.S., but these are very easy to acquire relatively cheaply in UK and Europe. Also looking likely that the M60 may have been used more widely for certain Rebel back packs in the film - but I have not researched this in any detail, so please don't hold me to that.

Attachments

• cs-6614-web1.jpg
    cs-6614-web1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Theoretically, purchasing one M60 bag with correct Y-strap rig will give you 2 'Jyn' hooks - the left and right sides appear to mirrored. So only 2 of the 4 will be correct.

This is the closest match I've seen so far! (And I went through the McMaster Carr catalog last week!)

I just just searched for Czech y strap, and found several instances of just the straps by themselves, in both leather and a few different colors of webbing. Some of the options have a non-wire j hook (which is closer to the original German style) but those seem to be to more desirable and expensive. Hooray!

Thank you!

Has anyone identified possible fabric choices for Jyn? I saw somewhere that the fabric for her jacket is a cotton drill fabric. It looks suede from some of the pictures I've seen and I saw a stretch cotton drill that was sueded. Only came in red though :/ Any help in the right direction for her fabric choices would be awesome!

Has anyone identified possible fabric choices for Jyn? I saw somewhere that the fabric for her jacket is a cotton drill fabric. It looks suede from some of the pictures I've seen and I saw a stretch cotton drill that was sueded. Only came in red though :/ Any help in the right direction for her fabric choices would be awesome!

The cotton drill was for her poncho jacket. You can see the materials used in her cold-weather outfit here:

jyn_fabric.jpg

(from this album: http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Ian_Reach/library/SWCE - RO - Rebels - Edit)

I don't believe that Lucasfilm has displayed info about her basic outfit fabrics yet.

The cotton drill was for her poncho jacket. You can see the materials used in her cold-weather outfit here:

View attachment 663744

(from this album: http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Ian_Reach/library/SWCE - RO - Rebels - Edit)

I don't believe that Lucasfilm has displayed info about her basic outfit fabrics yet.

It's likely that the jacket under the "Concho" is the same jacket with the striped sleeves we see under the vest in other places. (The cuffs are constructed the same, and the "printed detail" would be the stripes.) Cassian Andor's jacket (which looks really similar) listed under the parka is made out of the same materials. Plus, we can tell from other close up display shots, that it's a twill weave.

Cotton drill is a strong, dense heavyweight twill closely related to bull denim (and denim.) and generally used for uniforms. Any of the above would be a good option, since they are so closely related, and just as likely to be labeled as one or the other in many cases. (If you're going for exact, then you might want to look at any other the super close up display photos, since a big distinction between the weaves is which direction the twill weave goes and its angle.) From eyewitness account the color is closer to a grey/sage green than an olive.

Also of note on the jacket:

(From the Andor build thread.)

I believe I've got enough for us to do a spot on replica of Andor's jacket so, if anyone is interested in a pre-release option, shoot me an e-mail!

(I am counting my pennies and crossing my fingers that the two jackets are close enough for him to do a Jyn version as well.)

Last edited:
CarpElgin thanks for correcting me, I posted the photo of the fabric list without reading it and was going off my faulty memory. I forgot that they had both jackets on that sign.
marishkabibble if you're trying to figure out where to begin and don't need official confirmation about the fabrics, from pictures and observing the costume in person at SDCC the shirt seems to be a linen or a linen blend that's equal parts blue and grey. The vest looked like brown cotton, and the pants are the same as in her cold-weather costume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if anyone has posted about this, sorry in advance if I'm repeating what someone else has said!.

I did some light google searching and stumbled upon this:
https://www.fanjackets.com/product/Star-Wars-Rogue-One-Jyn-Erso-Vest

It's not as accurate as what you all have been creating, but personally I find it a good starting point that can be modified! I'm hoping I can order this in the sweet spot of sizes so that it will fit! I'll update when I finally order and receive the jacket and shirt, hopefully it works out!

This is the closest match I've seen so far! (And I went through the McMaster Carr catalog last week!)

I just just searched for Czech y strap, and found several instances of just the straps by themselves, in both leather and a few different colors of webbing. Some of the options have a non-wire j hook (which is closer to the original German style) but those seem to be to more desirable and expensive. Hooray!

Thank you!

CarpElgin,

here in the UK it appears easy to buy the Y-strap alone without the pack. I have bought with the pack - as it is a close-enough for Ep VI Rebel commando soft pack - another project. I have also bought the Y-strap alone. Should get shipment tomorrow. I will post pictures if that helps?

These are readily available at a cheap price at the moment in the UK and Europe. It may be worth the while checking against the Jyn costume reference material we have access to - but I am fairly confident these are the found part.

View attachment 663744

Thanks spectreseven,

Those are my pics. Again, I am not sure if these pictures have been referenced in this thread, but it is well worth checking these photos...

These are superb and in much higher resolution. A wealth of detail in these...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/withoutastitchon/sets/72157668427075574/with/28164881790/

Of course these are from CE display so has the concho, but the cuff detail is captured well. Along with all the concho detail, bandolier, boots and greeblies etc.

@Yutani Exec thank you for taking those pictures and sharing them with everyone! They are by far the most helpful photos I've seen of her costume and they've been very useful as I've worked on my build.

And thanks to withoutastichon if they read this thread :) I only wish I had been able to take such good pictures at SDCC.

Last edited:
Should get shipment tomorrow. I will post pictures if that helps?

Yutani Exec. I also have some on order but you will get yours earlier than I will. I was critical of the original Rok find and the concern I have with the photos of the Czech M60 hook is the shape of its front. The pictures of the M60 appeared to show the hook coming to a point to hook into a D-ring whereas the one on the Vest definitely has a rounded top. There may be different versions of the M60 or there may be distortion in the pictures from the vendor. A straight on photo or comparison would be helpful. Thank you.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back