Roddenberry Prop Announcements at Star Trek Las Vegas 2014

I just checked my email this morning, Roddenberry.com just shipped my tricorder!!!!!! I can't wait. As far as the ratchet sounds (opening and closing) we shall see. Hummm maybe an unboxing video is in the works....? Maybe.

extra cool ;) , can wait to see and hear it :p

I ordered mine from bbts.com , still shows as a preorder :cry

and what # you got :cheers

Last edited:
Number? Would it say on my email?
As for a video, yes I plan on doing a Trek Behind The Magic - Episode 5, "Special Unboxing"......... Once it arrives and it will be Up on you tube.

Number as in 1 out of 1000, since these are a limited run of 1000, so they will have a number.

I await its arrival to you and the mentioned unboxing video ;) :p

Got mine in the mail already. Here is a teaser....
Tricorder 2.jpg

What # is it and, and the closing ratchet sound does it happen as you start to close the door or about as you get close to closing it?
It does have the ratchet sounds as you open/close. It happens close to closing/opening I would say. I did not see a # listed in any of the documentation, maybe I missed it but if anyone else finds it let me know.

Last edited:
it should be on the plaque(if there is 1) and the outside of the shipping box on the factory label, unless of coarse it is a run of over 1000

Last edited:
Got my tricorder in today. I love it and at the same time find so many minor flaws... Aside from the batteries shelf life ending last year and some weirdness with the pain on the top front and a scratch on the door that's rather deep and stares you in the face before you open it; one of the hinges is loose and gives the impression the door could fall off if stored open on the stand as suggested.

I don't think all then LEDs needed to be so extremely bright. They make text in some places ... I'd say unreadable but you can't tell its there. The lights shine right through the stickers throughout lending to a slightly cheesy feel and its especially funny looking in places with a rectangle to shine through and a same shaped but much larger LED behind it.

I was amazed at how heavy it is, all metal. Except the back panel battery cover. Feels kind if awkward. Screw's Philips heads look over worked.

Still, aside from the hinge the main thing I'd change is the speaker. The sound effects are really strained, seems kind of cheap.

Don't quite know what to make of the holster.

All this though coming from someone who thinks $556 total is a very large sum.

Welcome to the rpf Cygnostik ,

thank you for the info about its functions and finish.

With how you described the open / close ratchet sounds, leds to bright and the looseness of the hinges it reminds me of the efx version I sold long ago because it looks nice, but its just not right. Seems I'll selling this 1 on the bay too.

check this video out , it has the MR and the EFX comparison and tell us which 1 resembles the Rod.com tricorder... thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC2tfGA8uzE

Last edited:
Thanks!

Funny you mention efx, it seems possible the efx and rod.com items ship from the same outsourced fulfillment center. Also the similairies are uncannynas far as I can see. Emergency button and recessed area shinyness and whatnot stands out immediately. Same color.

I'm kind of suspicious something is fishy now. Here's a couple shots of hinges and incidentally the emergency button too. Curious to see what the consensus ends up being from everyone.

http://shots.balboatech.com/image/122U2g0U2i08 http://shots.balboatech.com/image/0C2Y2l410b3J

I would send it back and try and get another

Got my tricorder in today. I love it and at the same time find so many minor flaws... Aside from the batteries shelf life ending last year and some weirdness with the pain on the top front and a scratch on the door that's rather deep and stares you in the face before you open it; one of the hinges is loose and gives the impression the door could fall off if stored open on the stand as suggested.

I don't think all then LEDs needed to be so extremely bright. They make text in some places ... I'd say unreadable but you can't tell its there. The lights shine right through the stickers throughout lending to a slightly cheesy feel and its especially funny looking in places with a rectangle to shine through and a same shaped but much larger LED behind it.

I was amazed at how heavy it is, all metal. Except the back panel battery cover. Feels kind if awkward. Screw's Philips heads look over worked.

Still, aside from the hinge the main thing I'd change is the speaker. The sound effects are really strained, seems kind of cheap.

Don't quite know what to make of the holster.

All this though coming from someone who thinks $556 total is a very large sum.

I have not gotten it yet in the mail yesterday was Martin Luther King Day once it arrives I will shoot a video get it on youtube and posted here

Got a reply back from rod.com, based on my description (and pics?!) they say that's normal for the hinges & basicaly asked what I want them to do about it.

I guess I just need to figure out what kind of glue to finish it with...

Got a reply back from rod.com, based on my description (and pics?!) they say that's normal for the hinges & basicaly asked what I want them to do about it.

I guess I just need to figure out what kind of glue to finish it with...

You paid for a New Item , it should be perfect except for the hinges unless they are excessively loose, Perfect paint and function,,, send it back for a replacement!!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back