Done / Completed Rocketeer Rocketpack Effects Kit v2.0

Awesome guys, let me know if you have questions. I tried to be very thorough in assembly tips. One I forgot to mention is to be gentle when tightening the screw terminals down. Get them tight but hold onto them when you do. You don't want to twist them off the board.

Is there a specific charger you recommend for the batteries?

(yikes!... this 'can of worms'?) :)

LOL

I guess it depends on the specific batteries the end user eventually uses.

Myself, I tend to usually stick with: +7.4v Li-Ion packs.

(stemming from the older saber scene,.... and the need for certain hobby electronics)

There are many options as well.

*I dont want to confuse things..

but for example:

* are they using li-ions? (or nihms? or regular alkalines?)
* what set-up? (li-ion: pre-purchased +7/4v 'pack'...as in all under one heat shrink piece)(2 x individual +3.7v batteries/cells.. in a battery holder? and hence maybe wants to charge them individually, which I think is recommended if you can swing it)

I personally use the older version of this one (its grey and no logo is all I believe) from The Custom Saber Shop.
One of the 'good ones' I'll say... incredibly professional, and a great guy to deal with as well.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/37V-148V-Li-Ion-Smart-charger-P129.aspx

Which allows me to charge individual cells (batteries, If I use some sort of holder)... (3.7v setting) .....or 'packs'... with settings for 7.4v, 11.1v, 14.8v.

If you are looking for 2 x individual cells/batteries.. you can check out the batteries there as well.
or maybe use this type of charger then:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-TR-001-All-in-One-Charger-P346.aspx

(neither of them 'need' to be from TCSS, just my -go to- example, and happens to be what I have above)

No pre-made packs there for this.. the only have 'long' ones for saber hilts.. no more side by side packs..

RC stuff usually has pre-made battery packs in +7.4v flavors/variations..

You could technically probably get away with using 4 x AA batteries... (not sure on the run time you'll get, and of course not re-chargeable).

I can also help with setting up the re-charge port if anyone decides to use that.

I know we need a 2.1mm adaptor, but I'm not sure if a specific voltage charger is required.

Not necessarily.

You'd only need the 2.1mm adaptor if they want to 'in-prop' charging of some rechargeable batteries.

Your boards have screw terminals. Are people buying 'pre-made' packs?
Such as these:
** not an endorsement or recommendation, used for visual purposes only! **

http://www.dx.com/p/aob-2-x-18650-l...MI1cyepJSW3AIVBjBpCh2u1g42EAQYAiABEgJ-zPD_BwE

Then the first charger is what you want... and maybe a couple of 'packs' so its easier to just switch things out at a con with some fully charged up battery packs in your bag.

and they remove them screw terminal each time... charging the packs when/wherever.

or individual batteries?
like:
** not an endorsement or recommendation, used for visual purposes only! **

http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-recha...on-battery-for-flashlight-silver-2-pcs-234641

Then they want the second charger....
and they would maybe leave the battery holder connected to your board, and pop the individual batters out and charge them.. (hopefully have some extra's while those originals are charging.

Neither of these situations require the 2.1mm adaptor..

However 'in-prop' charging is pretty cool!.. easy to do!... and can double as a kill switch (replacing the main switch once permanently jumpered)

(so much for not being confusing...eh?) :)

haha..

If there any other battery questions, feel free to ask!

-xl

Sorry. To simplify a bit, this kit recommends using two 14500 3.7v lithium ion batteries mounted in the included battery holder. I’ve included a 2.1mm charge port to connect into the system for in pack charging. So I think the question was what charger would work good for that system. The answer I believe, is a li-ion smart charger that will charge 7.4v and have a 2.1mm adaptor.

Here's an example:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74V-Li-ion-smart-charger-with-21mm-plug-P891.aspx

Last edited:
Sorry. To simplify a bit, this kit recommends using two 14500 3.7v lithium ion batteries mounted in the included battery holder. I’ve included a 2.1mm charge port to connect into the system for in pack charging. So I think the question was what charger would work good for that system. The answer I believe, is a li-ion smart charger that will charge 7.4v and have a 2.1mm adaptor.

Here's an example:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74V-Li-ion-smart-charger-with-21mm-plug-P891.aspx

Thank you, sir.

That one will work...

However I think the other one linked to would be a better option as it allows for more/different set-ups. (like being able to charge 3-7v - 14.8v)

it too comes with a 2.1mm adaptor with it if you want... (although costs a little more as well)

Could the LEDs be modified to fit rocketeers Starlord areo rig. I think it would be an awesome edition to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Could the LEDs be modified to fit rocketeers Starlord areo rig. I think it would be an awesome edition to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. Not familiar with that. Can you share some pics and dimensions ?

I've had a couple people ask the best way to mount or install the kit into the pack. My pack is scratch built so I'm not sure what other people's kit innards look like. But here's a couple suggestions.

I recommend mounting the board and battery pack to a mounting board. Mine is just a scrap of ABS I had around the shop. I drilled holes around the perimeter of the board and fed the wire groups through them. This serves as a strain relief. I think it is really important so wires aren't pulling at the board. I also like to twist all the wire groups together to limit the rats nest in the pack.

The the board can be attached to the inner wall of the pac with Velcro.

Someone asked about where to mount the speaker. Again, your pack may differ, but I mounted mine behind the center round grill. I know ... the fan goes there. For me it was a compromise I was willing to make to get the sound nice and loud.

Good luck everyone!

Steve

IMG_0597.jpgIMG_0598.JPGIMG_0599.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back