Rocketeer Helmet with custom liner

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, just wanted to share my completed Rocketeer helmet. It's an Acme helmet that I picked up from Clint. I know this has been said before, but this is a really nice product and well worth the money.

The painting and finishing was not that unusual. I followed many of the tips on the RPF. Really pleased how it turned out.

Something that IS unique is my liner. I struggled with a good solution. Honestly, I don't like the look of the full liner insert where the liner covers the front face part. I tried to make one work, but it always looked sloppy around the eyes and mouth cutouts. Then, I was inspired by my full-face motorcycle helmet. It has padding only where necessary, around the back of the head, around the cheeks. So I made a simple, quilted and padded liner that when inserted in the helmet, gave a very custom, clean look. PLUS, the design kept the air intakes open, something else that bugged me about full liners. The whole thing is held with velcro to keep things in place, but allow me to remove it if I want to redo something.

Instead of gluing the chin straps permanently to the inside of the helmet, I attached them via two brass snaps to the backside of the liner. This keeps them in place nicely, and allows removal with the liner.

Thanks to everyone who tackled this cool project before me!

Last edited:
Nice job, man. I have a helmet that I was told was one of the Icons versions or something but it has no liner. Any chance of buying one from you?

Awesome job! I never get tired of seeing that helmet. Even better is the custom take on the liner as I bet it is quite comfortable to wear. If you do plan to make anymore I would certainly be interested in snagging one from you(and both of my buckets already have liners!). I always have the urge to do another so it would be good to have an extra liner on hand in case I actually follow through with it. Again, awesome job.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm in debt to this place for helping me pull this project off. If there were enough interest, I might consider a small run of the liners.

Valor

That is awesome. I am unbelievably jealous! I love your work on that inner lining. It looks comfy, stylish and clean. And the exterior work is beautiful as well. Some day I'll finally get hold of my own Rocketeer helmet kit and you can expect a PM from me soon afterwords! :lol

Thanks for your compliments. I'm honored some of you would like to buy what I designed :)

A few of you have asked if I would do a small run of my Rocketeer liner. I guess I'd be willing to make a few for my fellow finheads. I'm not in the business of manufacturing, so I'm a little nervous about making sure people are happy with what I produce. Heck, I usually only need to worry whether I like it :)

PM me if you're interested. Not sure of the price yet, I'll have to look into it. Wondering what people would be willing to pay? Maybe that's a dumb question.

Valor

Hey, I figured out pricing on the custom Rocketeer helmet liner. I can do two options, with and without the attached chin straps. IM me for pricing details if you're interested.

thanks,

Valor

Paint work looks outstanding - very authentic! Your solution for the liner looks to be just perfect - you should offer these to other helmet owners as there are not really any good solutions for this out there.

Paint work looks outstanding - very authentic! Your solution for the liner looks to be just perfect - you should offer these to other helmet owners as there are not really any good solutions for this out there.

Thank you! I'd be happy to offer this to owners of other helmet models. Just not positive it will fit. Although the design is meant to fit the helmet generally, as opposed to the designs that have mouth and eye holes, I assume it would fit other models. But without having on in hand, I'd hate to promise anything. That said, I have a few people I'll be making liners for. I'm very excited that people are interested.

Hey, Great job on the helmet bud! Im very interested in buying one of these online, but i actually want to use it as motorcycle helmet (yes, i know its not DOT approved). I was wondering if you guys could answer some questions for me.
1.) Does the fin detach? Or could it be easily made to detach so that i dont break my neck in event of a crash?
2.) How dark are the lenses? I have a pair of tinted aviator goggles that are tinted, yet from the inside looking out they are very light, so i can still ride at night. Will this be an issue? Or any potential solutions? visibility is obviously very important on a motorcycle.
3.) How comfortable is it to wear? Ive read that the rivets holding in the lenses can push on your forehead, does the liner take care of this?
4.) How heavy is it? I found a brass one online that claims the shipping weight is 40lbs. This is just as dangerous during a crash as the long fin, as the added momentum on impact will break my neck.

Any insight you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

i cut pieces out of a motorcycle visor for the lenses in my rocketeer helmet. my fin is permanent

for a motorcycle helmet, you're better off modifying a motorcycle helmet into a rocketeer helmet. that way you're safe, should there be an accident.

Hey Lmaas1, Okay your post is making me take my prop-building hat off and put on my motorcycle rider hat. I've been riding and working on bikes for more than a decade. I STRONGLY urge you to shelve any idea of either using a Rocketeer helmet as a bike helmet, or even adding a fin to an existing helmet.

Regarding why using a replica Rocketeer helmet is a really bad idea:
1) BIG REASON NUMBER ONE: When you wear one of these you have TERRIBLE vision. NO peripheral vision and really pretty lousy forward vision. Fine for walking around. but you simply cannot see as well as you need to when you ride.
2) The helmet offer NO protection. Even the padded ones don't come close to having the padding and structure needed if you crash.
3) You will get pulled over by the police.
4) It really isn't at all comfortable to wear anyway.

Well, why not add a fin to an exisitng moto helmet? (And this next point applies for a replica Rocketeer helmet too):

The FIN WILL **** YOU UP and probably get you killed!! Remember what Peevy taught Cliff about turning his head to steer? Well, that ain't going to happen on a bike. BUT If you turn your head in that thing while going at even low speeds several things are likely to happen. It will whip your head sideways, probably causing the helmet to spin crooked on your head, or rip it off your head. And you need to turn your head ALOT when you ride. Ever hold your flat hand out a car window as you drive? Remember how the wind forces your hand from side to side? Having that big fin on will make it impossible for you to even turn your head to check your blind spots without major forces on your head and neck. What is MOST likely to happen, is it will cause you to have an accident.

I think this is an instant recipe for some hospital time, or worse.

PLEASE, please, please put this idea out of your mind. We need more cool prop people in the world. Not less.

Steve

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back