Rocketeer helmet kit - trimming and paint

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Acme helmet kit that I am finishing for a customer. My next step is to tone the paint in a multi-layer process, then attach the lenses and liner:
DSC00393.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00410.jpg

Hard to tell from your pics but they need to be pretty thin. The one Clint built for me the lens holes are pretty thin as are dualedges. As I say hard to see in the last pics so maybe they are thin enough just didn't look like it. :)

Untitled-1.jpg

I will double check next time I'm at the shop to work on it. I still have time to thin them out a bit and if they do need it, it won't be much at all.

What I did for the paint (so far) is a base coat of Krylon gold, then used the airbrush to tone down the color using Allclad "Polished Brass".
Next week when I'm back in the shop, I will do the darker aging.

What I did for my personal helmet was a mixture of brown, black and gold paint, thinned down and then wiped on using cotton balls - I then buffed off the paint while it was still soft.

If you have an alternative suggestion for the finish, please let me know.

Sounds like you have the paint part covered, you could also use Antique gold rub and buff as well If you wanted.
I like mine very weathered not screen accurate at all so I use steel wool and a hard bristle brush. :)

Sounds like you have the paint part covered, you could also use Antique gold rub and buff as well If you wanted.
I like mine very weathered not screen accurate at all so I use steel wool and a hard bristle brush. :)

Thanks - I do have the rub and buff and tried it on my personal helmet, but was not too happy with the color, so I am having a little better luck using an airbrush and the allclad paint.

After that pack, I'm dying to see what you come up with for this!

I'm no prop painting prodigy, but I appreciate the compliment.
Dualage really sets the standard for painting these. All I can do is give 100% effort and make it a total labor of love.
This is a fun prop to work on.

Finished her up today.
Total I spent about twelve hours on this give or take.
Gold coat was toned using a mixture of Allclad "polished brass" and black, then I used Naptha to wipe down the surface to give it the antiqued look.

Very suprising, the helmet looks more 'aged' to the naked eye than it does on camera and in direct sunlight - a similar effect the real helmets had I believe.

All in all, I am happy with how it turned out and it was a lot of fun to do and I hope my client is happy with it.

DSC_0607.jpg

DSC_0609.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0620.jpg

DSC_0621.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

Looks very nice, and more to the point like brass. :) Your client should be thrilled with it.
I find it very hard to take accurate pics of my weathered pieces as well, mostly the brass (look) but silver is a pain as well.

Looks very nice, and more to the point like brass. :) Your client should be thrilled with it.
I find it very hard to take accurate pics of my weathered pieces as well, mostly the brass (look) but silver is a pain as well.

Thank you for the kind words!
I remember when I first saw pics of the hero helmet and thought "Wow, that helmet did NOT look that dirty in the movie!" but now realize just how subtle the antiquing looks on camera under certain lighting conditions.

I actually did this one less "dirty" than my personal helmet and kept it looking as real as possible all around.
I did this in layers;
-Gold base coat
-Coat of "Polished Brass" Allclad paint
-Wiped down surface with a cloth dampened with Naptha
-Re-sprayed with a darker wash of "Polished Brass"
-Another wipe-down
-Accented with gold with the airbrush

Hitting it one more time with the gold helped to maintain a lot of the gold shine that was lost during the aging process. I actually like the finished look of this cusomers' helmet better than my personal one and maybe one day I will buy my own Acme helmet for myself and have another go at it.

I do mine very close to this but use 000 steel wool instead of the rag with nap. Yeah talking to Clint he showed me just how dirty the Screen Used one really was. The lighting just kills the details as you said.

Thank you for the kind words!
I remember when I first saw pics of the hero helmet and thought "Wow, that helmet did NOT look that dirty in the movie!" but now realize just how subtle the antiquing looks on camera under certain lighting conditions.

I actually did this one less "dirty" than my personal helmet and kept it looking as real as possible all around.
I did this in layers;
-Gold base coat
-Coat of "Polished Brass" Allclad paint
-Wiped down surface with a cloth dampened with Naptha
-Re-sprayed with a darker wash of "Polished Brass"
-Another wipe-down
-Accented with gold with the airbrush

Hitting it one more time with the gold helped to maintain a lot of the gold shine that was lost during the aging process. I actually like the finished look of this cusomers' helmet better than my personal one and maybe one day I will buy my own Acme helmet for myself and have another go at it.

I cannot tell you how pleased that I am with how this project turn out.
I knew that GeneralFrosty was the one to complete my Helmet after seeing the fabulous job that he did on his Rocket Pack.
I have a great Rocket Pack of my own that was built for me, but I think that the Generals Pack looks very much more real like polished metal.
I am proud to have a picture of my Helmet next to Frosties Pack
I hope too have more projects completed by GenenralFrosty.

Looks really sharp! Any pics with the *ahem* liner in it ? – shameless self-promotion :)

Last edited:
GeneralFROSTY,

I had to go back after reading through this thread and look at the pictures again. Brilliant paint work on the helmet. And the pack too. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Ted.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back