Rocketeer helmet kit - trimming and paint

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by GeneralFROSTY, Feb 27, 2012.

1. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Acme helmet kit that I am finishing for a customer. My next step is to tone the paint in a multi-layer process, then attach the lenses and liner:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Looks pretty good, but I think the eye hole edges could be thinned out a bit more.

3. GeneralFROSTY

I fallowed the casting line and I believe they are exactly as thin as they need to be.

4. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Hard to tell from your pics but they need to be pretty thin. The one Clint built for me the lens holes are pretty thin as are dualedges. As I say hard to see in the last pics so maybe they are thin enough just didn't look like it. :)

[​IMG]

5. GeneralFROSTY

I will double check next time I'm at the shop to work on it. I still have time to thin them out a bit and if they do need it, it won't be much at all.

What I did for the paint (so far) is a base coat of Krylon gold, then used the airbrush to tone down the color using Allclad "Polished Brass".
    Next week when I'm back in the shop, I will do the darker aging.

What I did for my personal helmet was a mixture of brown, black and gold paint, thinned down and then wiped on using cotton balls - I then buffed off the paint while it was still soft.

If you have an alternative suggestion for the finish, please let me know.

6. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Sounds like you have the paint part covered, you could also use Antique gold rub and buff as well If you wanted.
    I like mine very weathered not screen accurate at all so I use steel wool and a hard bristle brush. :)

7. GeneralFROSTY

Thanks - I do have the rub and buff and tried it on my personal helmet, but was not too happy with the color, so I am having a little better luck using an airbrush and the allclad paint.

8. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Love to see a new helmet being born!:love

9. GeneralFROSTY

I know, right!
    This is actually a very fun prop to work on - it will be my second and I wish I had more of them to do!

10. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

After that pack, I'm dying to see what you come up with for this!

11. GeneralFROSTY

I'm no prop painting prodigy, but I appreciate the compliment.
    Dualage really sets the standard for painting these. All I can do is give 100% effort and make it a total labor of love.
    This is a fun prop to work on.

12. GeneralFROSTY

Finished her up today.
    Total I spent about twelve hours on this give or take.
    Gold coat was toned using a mixture of Allclad "polished brass" and black, then I used Naptha to wipe down the surface to give it the antiqued look.

Very suprising, the helmet looks more 'aged' to the naked eye than it does on camera and in direct sunlight - a similar effect the real helmets had I believe.

All in all, I am happy with how it turned out and it was a lot of fun to do and I hope my client is happy with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Looks very nice, and more to the point like brass. :) Your client should be thrilled with it.
    I find it very hard to take accurate pics of my weathered pieces as well, mostly the brass (look) but silver is a pain as well.

14. GeneralFROSTY

Thank you for the kind words!
    I remember when I first saw pics of the hero helmet and thought "Wow, that helmet did NOT look that dirty in the movie!" but now realize just how subtle the antiquing looks on camera under certain lighting conditions.

I actually did this one less "dirty" than my personal helmet and kept it looking as real as possible all around.
    I did this in layers;
    -Gold base coat
    -Coat of "Polished Brass" Allclad paint
    -Wiped down surface with a cloth dampened with Naptha
    -Re-sprayed with a darker wash of "Polished Brass"
    -Another wipe-down
    -Accented with gold with the airbrush

Hitting it one more time with the gold helped to maintain a lot of the gold shine that was lost during the aging process. I actually like the finished look of this cusomers' helmet better than my personal one and maybe one day I will buy my own Acme helmet for myself and have another go at it.

15. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

I do mine very close to this but use 000 steel wool instead of the rag with nap. Yeah talking to Clint he showed me just how dirty the Screen Used one really was. The lighting just kills the details as you said.

16. harleyx

harleyx Member

I cannot tell you how pleased that I am with how this project turn out.
    I knew that GeneralFrosty was the one to complete my Helmet after seeing the fabulous job that he did on his Rocket Pack.
    I have a great Rocket Pack of my own that was built for me, but I think that the Generals Pack looks very much more real like polished metal.
    I am proud to have a picture of my Helmet next to Frosties Pack
    I hope too have more projects completed by GenenralFrosty.

17. Valor

Valor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks really sharp! Any pics with the *ahem* liner in it ? – shameless self-promotion :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  18. GeneralFROSTY

I forgot to take pics of the liner but can snap a few and have them up soon.

19. slimesquare

slimesquare Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what did you use for the lenses?

20. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

GeneralFROSTY,

I had to go back after reading through this thread and look at the pictures again. Brilliant paint work on the helmet. And the pack too. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Ted.

21. EamonClark

EamonClark New Member

Very well done, the quality of the Acme helmets really comes through.

22. GeneralFROSTY

I can't thank you guys enough for the kind words!
    I don't presume to be the best at doing these and I take a lot of pride and passion in my work and I was very happy to hear that my client was happy with the work I did on this helmet.
    If anyone ever comes across an ACME helmet and needs it painted you can count on me!

23. Darthbauer

Darthbauer New Member

I would have killed someone for this stuff when I was a kid after the first time I saw The Rocketeer. Hell, I probably still would. Got anyone you really don't like?

24. GeneralFROSTY

I know what you mean.
    I remember coming home from seeing this in the theaters and wanting the helmet and rocket pack so badly. Now over 20 years later, I wish I could go back in time and give these to my younger self!

25. Jay1138

Jay1138 Active Member

You did a FANTASTIC job GeneralFROSTY!

I've been wanting to pickup an ACME helmet, now I think I know the man for the job.

26. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

The helmet looks great and the finish on the rocket is outstanding. What a great job you did Frosty!!

27. Darthbauer

Darthbauer New Member

The only down side I think is that they wouldn't fit us when we were kids.

28. TK3247

TK3247 New Member

That helmet is awesome! Where did you get the kit? Great job on the paint to! Got it to look really tarnished.

29. GeneralFROSTY

30. jvdva

jvdva New Member

Thank you so much I just got my kit, and was lost on how to paint it. This is really helpful. Thank you again and keep up the awesome work.

31. GeneralFROSTY

Anyone have a Rocketeer helmet needing paintwork? Hit me up!

32. indigobob

indigobob New Member

Thank you so much for posting this, I am working on this helmet now and the photos with instructions are extremely helpful!

33. cadilovr

cadilovr Member

Love it!