Rock of Ages

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. JD

JD Master Member

They took all the rebellion, all the spirit of rock music and sucked it and out replaced it with tasteless, homogenized white milk.

I'd rather sit through the Justin Bieber movie.

madmikeee likes this.
  3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I agree. The musical looked so good but this...why do we need famous movie? Just do an HD recording of the actual musical and release that as I'd pay to see it.

4. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd definitely rather see that.

This just looks awful.

5. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

I couldn't even make it through the trailer. It's like they've Glee-ified the Hair Metal heyday.

6. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

It looks like they rewrote the musical for the screen and used Glee as the template for sure. Slap in the face to hair metal bands.

7. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Yeah, that looks like *.

8. aeonpulse

Why the hell wouldn't they just stick to the musical's script, and cast actual hair metal musicians? Ya know, some of the older hair metal musicians, and even some of the current ones, like Steel Panther? THAT would have been awesome.

I suppose it's obvious they felt the big names and the Glee-ified script would attract a bigger audience. Blegh.

9. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Because that wouldn't appeal to the 12-14 year old demographic that they are targetting. :sick

10. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

This looks appalling! :thumbsdown

11. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Rock of Ages: Saw it last night

I went with an open mind, ignoring all the bad criticism and glad I did. It was a FUN, HEAD BANGING, FEET TAPPING ride for 2 hours! One of Tom Cruises best performances, Loved Russel Brand, Loved listening to Juilanne Houghs singing. Cannot wait to buy the soundtrack. Go with an open mind and to just have a good time. If you like 80's rock music, it's worth it just for the songs. Alec Baldwin was pretty good too and Miss Ackermann from the watchmen was SUPER HOT!

12. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Re: Rock of Ages: Saw it last night

I haven't seen it yet but I have the soundtrack and to be honest some of their versions of the songs are better than the originals and beats the broadway recordings. I had my doubts at first but I think this is a pleasant surprise for folks.

13. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

I think they paid Tom Cruise more than the movie actually made

14. AggieChick42

AggieChick42 Active Member

DVD movie.... not for theaters.... My husbands best friend looks like a heavy Tom Cruise we will probably ask him what he thinks about his latest movie... heh

15. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I'm gonna re-play Brutal Legend instead.

16. aeonpulse

I never finished that. The crappy, random RTS parts ruined the game for me.

17. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

It's worth it, man. Play it on easy or normal and the RTS stuff isn't hard at all. Hell, it's worth it just to cruise around in the Deuce listening to Motorhead. :)

18. badmojo

badmojo Active Member

Took the wife the other night and actually enjoyed it. But I couldn't help but look at Cruise and just think Glenn Danzig.

19. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

Tom Cruise...ewwwww!

20. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Took my wife to see it last week.
    Cornball story, corny acting, fun music...all the makings of a cult midnight movie.

21. Dozer3677

Dozer3677 Well-Known Member

Same. I felt it couldn't decide what type of game it wanted to be. I played for what I thought was a while. I loved it. Got past the weird Guitar Hero-esque parts. But the RTS, once I had to do that for a 2nd or 3rd time, I was done. And never picked it back up. I don't resell my games, so I still have it. But for something that I was so excited for that I had to PREORDER it......it was not completely what I was hoping for.

But as Solo said, there were some really fun parts.

22. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dunno about this one. I heard the first few lines of "Pour some sugar on me" and I had to just stop listening.

I'm normally very open minded about flicks, but this one just... I don't think I can see it on purpose. Maybe if I was on a date and she really wanted to see it.

23. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I agree. That game had such potential and was fun otherwise but man that RTS sucked.

24. Mr Fett

Mr Fett Sr Member

Being a fan of that music genre....that said, I haven't seen the movie version....but DID see the musical last winter and it was hilarious and just awesome. Then, later seeing the trailer for the movie version, it totally looked like they'd changed the plot somewhat and something told me it wouldn't be as good as the live musical.....which was sold out when I went and just the overall energy in the performance was awesome, and knew they couldn't capture that on film like you would get in person.

25. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So a couple of weeks back I was offered a ticket to see this in advance. I didn't even know it was a musical. We left about three songs in, and the studio security was all "no reentry." No problem!

But seriously I'm not a big fan of any musicals, and in this case the idea to leave was not my own. But I happily agreed.