Robotech/Macross Veritech helmet

Diegator

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey RPF!
I recently got started on another helmet, this time from the iconic 80's anime Macross, or Robotech, as it was known in the US

This will be a cosplay project that should be ready to wear by April. Let's see if I can beat that timeline.

Reference:
Max_Sterling_4_large.jpgmax.jpgRick_Hunter_17_large.jpg

As always, I cracked open my favorite CAD program and got cranking.
This is roughly 10 hours of modeling time:
max sterling progress.JPGCapture side.JPGmax helmet progress 2.JPGmax helmet render.JPG

Now I'm debating whether to pep the thing or just straight out 3D print it.
What say you?

Diegator

3d printing would be easier and probably look better but it'll cost you a fortune. Pep is going to be cheaper but take longer. It looks really good though.

sweet i love macross as a kid!!!
if i had the money i'd 3d print it and then use it as a master for the reproduction cast to make bunches of em!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

almost forgot....is it going to be screen accurate with the slide down blue visor????

I'd seen the Yamato ones, but I like the ones from the anime better... the more "classic" look.
Yes, I'm planning on putting the flip down visor. I had originally planned to also include the detachable face mask piece (the one used when they are in space) but I'm going to keep it simple this time.

Good observation about the front vents! I'll revise the model accordingly.

The Yamato one is based off the movie DYRL version. It is MASSIVE. I own the Roy (yellow) version and it is definitely a beauty to behold, heavy and large though, makes me look like a bobblehead. I would love one from the tv series though. If you need any shots of the Yamato one, let me know, although the two of them are very different helmets.

Thanks Shenphong!
Yes, for my version I tried to size it around my head based on what I percieve are the proportions of the tv series
Here's the corrected front vents, which are actually the attachment points of the front visor when in "space mode"
max helmet render 4.JPGMax_Sterling_3_large.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1401689159784.jpg

Finally got around to printing and cutting this, then I folded and put together

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Could be the camera angle but it looks like it should be bigger.
The side connectors are about even with or just past their nose.

Could be the camera angle but it looks like it should be bigger.
The side connectors are about even with or just past their nose.

THIS.

Flight helmets will give a little of a bobblehead effect, and there should be room for at least an inch of padding in there. You probably need to go up about 15%.

Edit: Here's me in my Protoman helmet to give you a little better idea of the scale that it needs to be if you don't want it looking like a kids helmet

Untitled by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I got the same impression, so I'm tweaking the model to reflect your comments.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Someone already spammed the forum about it,
Not accurate and very poorly made.

There's also a big difference between a motorcycle helmet and a flight helmet especially a space fighter (even if fictional).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back