Robotech/Macross Veritech helmet

Diegator

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello! i'm totally not dead!
I started on this again last night, trying to correct some mistakes that led down the rabbit hole of re-defining every single feature from scratch. There are some dimensional tweaks I need to make still, and the file isn't regenerating properly all the times, but hopefully tonight i'll be able to get all the details in and have it ready for print.
Capture4.JPG
 

nick daring

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sometimes that ends up being the best way. Get halfway into a project only to figure out the best approach and starting over and doing things the "correct way".
 

Diegator

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, finished the tweaks and added all the extra details.I'm pretty happy with the way this model turned out - practically all the features are dependent on 3 sketches only, and I can change dimensions pretty easily and the whole model will regenerate correctly (within some tolerances). This, despite it being mostly surface modeled.
Now off to 3D print this!
helmea1t.JPGhelmea3t.JPGhelmea4t.JPGhelmeat.JPG
 

amouro

New Member
I'm digging it. I've never seen anyone do the tv version. I like the DYRL version a lot but this is great.

Your redone version does look better for sure. Perhaps it could use a little more curvature in the side walls. But your proportions look a lot better over all. I would probably do a quick pepakura version as a test to check how it looks on your head before I 3d printed it. I know first hand how hard it is to rework a cartoon design and get it to look right on a real person. I'm working on a pilot helmet from zeta Gundam right now.
 

Diegator

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm digging it. I've never seen anyone do the tv version. I like the DYRL version a lot but this is great.

Your redone version does look better for sure. Perhaps it could use a little more curvature in the side walls. But your proportions look a lot better over all. I would probably do a quick pepakura version as a test to check how it looks on your head before I 3d printed it. I know first hand how hard it is to rework a cartoon design and get it to look right on a real person. I'm working on a pilot helmet from zeta Gundam right now.
I'm pretty confident about the measurements as of now... I did a pepakura version before and hence why I'm doing it again. You might just scare me into making another pep, just in case.
 

Diegator

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
There, I resolved the location of the glasses portion, and the rotation point... they retract completely up into the visor. The legs that attach to the back of the visor are temporary as of now. Depending on what fabrication methods I have available, I'll go ahead and model them correctly.
Here thinking if I should make them motorized.
Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG
 

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That is amazing!!
The arrow being recessed instead of just deco would not be my interpretation, but this is awesome. :thumbsup
 

Diegator

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just ordered the 3D print! Should be here may 24th. Let's cross fingers that everything works out dimension wise. Otherwise it'll be $400 down the drain
 

Diegator

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yeap, it fits quite well! I'll mock up some foam and try it on tonight again.
 

Diegator

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been quietly working on filling and sanding the helmet. The goal is to get it "Volpin smooth" before I make the mold.
Here are some lens porn shots I took of it while the paint dried. Enjoy

IMG_8791.JPGIMG_8798.JPGIMG_8796.JPGIMG_8793.JPG
 
Last edited:
Top