Robocop Helmet Paints

I agree, would love a paint write up.
I bought a unpainted one to paint once I have mastered the art, it was more of final exam for me.
"you have mastered the painting of props..now paint this one as good as the guy whom made it"

I was thinking of doing a paint write up. I'll get Christmas out of the way and look at making one.

Finally got round to painting the face up. Lips are hard, he was looking very effeminate for a long time.
Battle damage version ordered to keep him company.

20200229_194643.jpg
20200229_194820.jpg

My damaged helmet arrived before the lockdown.
20200325_111730.jpg

Unboxed and given the once over, he looks fantastic!
I'm struggling to get the paints I like with everything thats going on. So I'm not going to get far very soon.
Had the primer and metallic titanium on hand so made a start.
Thought I'd check and fill all the imperfections first. It's a Mutronics piece, so that amounted to nothing more than taking it out of the box again!!!
White enamel primer:
20200406_140209.jpg

Then colour:
20200407_143910.jpg

20200407_143917.jpg

I'm managing to get some gloss black and some masking fluid at the weekend so should have the jaw coloured up soon and the damged masked off.
Don't know when I'll get my hands on some lacquer.

My damaged helmet arrived before the lockdown.
View attachment 1284278
Unboxed and given the once over, he looks fantastic!
I'm struggling to get the paints I like with everything thats going on. So I'm not going to get far very soon.
Had the primer and metallic titanium on hand so made a start.
Thought I'd check and fill all the imperfections first. It's a Mutronics piece, so that amounted to nothing more than taking it out of the box again!!!
White enamel primer:
View attachment 1284284
Then colour:
View attachment 1284286
View attachment 1284287

I'm managing to get some gloss black and some masking fluid at the weekend so should have the jaw coloured up soon and the damged masked off.
Don't know when I'll get my hands on some lacquer.

Glad you like him Matt! I looking forward to see how yours comes out.

I also made a Cain damaged version for a client the other day.

IMG_1107.JPG

Woohoo! Paint!!
20200505_173908.jpg

Managed to get a gloss coat on him.
20200506_102021.jpg

I still love this titanium paint, it's totally different depending on the light.

20200506_142238.jpg

Thats all curing up for now, I'm doing the blue and purple highlights on this one, just waiting on some more paint.

Got the jaw nice and glossy too.
20200506_142313.jpg

Woohoo! Paint!!View attachment 1295760

Managed to get a gloss coat on him.
View attachment 1295761

I still love this titanium paint, it's totally different depending on the light.

View attachment 1295763
Thats all curing up for now, I'm doing the blue and purple highlights on this one, just waiting on some more paint.

Got the jaw nice and glossy too.
View attachment 1295765

Beautiful helmets in here. I’m wanting to paint mine soon can I ask is it VHT Titanium Engine paint you are using? Also what are you using for the blue and purple hues and these are applied after the gloss?
Thanks so much for any help.

Beautiful helmets in here. I’m wanting to paint mine soon can I ask is it VHT Titanium Engine paint you are using? Also what are you using for the blue and purple hues and these are applied after the gloss?
Thanks so much for any help.
Yes its the VHT titanium engine paint I'm using.
I haven't fully decided on the blue and purple yet. Ive tested vallejo transparent blue and that looks ok. I ordered a couple of aclad candy blues to try as well. Allthough one of them is more for the laser burn on the Cain damaged helmet when I do that.
I tried a test of alclad candy violet mixed with their transparent red which isnt bad, but looking at other options.

Will update when I get that far.

Still waiting on paint for the highlights. So thought I'd have a play with the neck/stand.

Quick and dirty, quick blast of primer, couple of hours later, quick blast of dark grey gloss. Then rubbed all over with graphite powder.

20200511_173905.jpg
20200511_173804.jpg

I used a soft kids ttoothbrush to buff it into all the nooks and crannies. She's gonna go mental when she brushes her teeth tonite!:p

You have to make sure you dont handle the peice with bare hands otherwise the powder will just develop your latent fingerprints and you'll have to clean it up to redo.

Still waiting on paint for the highlights. So thought I'd have a play with the neck/stand.

Quick and dirty, quick blast of primer, couple of hours later, quick blast of dark grey gloss. Then rubbed all over with graphite powder.

View attachment 1297341View attachment 1297342

I used a soft kids ttoothbrush to buff it into all the nooks and crannies. She's gonna go mental when she brushes her teeth tonite!:p

You have to make sure you dont handle the peice with bare hands otherwise the powder will just develop your latent fingerprints and you'll have to clean it up to redo.

Looking great! The graphite looks very metally. Can i ask what the grey gloss base was and the graphite powder. Will you have to seal it?

Looking great! The graphite looks very metally. Can i ask what the grey gloss base was and the graphite powder. Will you have to seal it?
The base was just a Dark grey gloss spray paint I had kicking around. I didnt do any further prep to smooth it out.
The graphite powder was from ebay a few years back when I was playing around with trying to make conductive paint for copper plating. Its fairly cheap and you use hardly any of it to achieve this effect. You just need to buff it in to the paint with a soft cloth.

A lot of people were using it on Mandalorian armour a few months back so I had to have a play. You can use other glosses for the base but grey seems to give the best result.

I had played with sealing it, theres not really a great way of doing it and not killing the metal. It doesnt like a whole lot of handling either, but for something like this, a display, it wont be handled so will be fine.

The base was just a Dark grey gloss spray paint I had kicking around. I didnt do any further prep to smooth it out.
The graphite powder was from ebay a few years back when I was playing around with trying to make conductive paint for copper plating. Its fairly cheap and you use hardly any of it to achieve this effect. You just need to buff it in to the paint with a soft cloth.

A lot of people were using it on Mandalorian armour a few months back so I had to have a play. You can use other glosses for the base but grey seems to give the best result.

I had played with sealing it, theres not really a great way of doing it and not killing the metal. It doesnt like a whole lot of handling either, but for something like this, a display, it wont be handled so will be fine.

Interesting! Yes that graphite would look good for the Mandalorian. I was looking at the Alclad clear for sealing chrome and metals, might have to have a play.

Paint came!!!
20200513_194614.jpg
20200513_194623.jpg
20200513_195733.jpg

I love how this turned out, the paint has a real flip effect. The camera really wants to pull out the purple from all angles though.

I did a little video and screen capped this shot qhich shows how much it disappears in the right light.
20200513_203309.jpg

I'm hoping to get the blue on in the next couple of days and then it will get a real gloss coat and buff. Then I'll finish the damage up.

I used Vallejo Warlord purple, it was thinned at a rough 50/50 mix and slowly built up.

20200513_194321.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back