RoboCop helmet (kit) build/paint

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm really happy to have a client of mine be sending me a Robo helmet to paint and I'd like to nail this one for the both of us as I'm a huge fan of the film and want to do it justice.

I would be going for a Robo 2 paint scheme and I understand the general paint color used is an autobody metallic blue - does anyone have the exact paint code for this?

Also, to achieve the purple/blue metallic hues I had tested some color-shifting paint but since it requires a black basecoat, this may be more trouble than it's worth.

The other option I was looking at are the clear metallic paints offered by Pactra - has anyone used these before?

Any suggestions or links to helpful information would be appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
Re: RoboCop helmet - paint options?

I cant say for sure, but I think what they did with the paint
Is apply a blue candy (concentrate), over a silver metallic base coat.
This will lighten and darken, depending how much candy is applied. In this
situation very little would be used.

The silver base coat would need to have a fine metallic, so it appears
smooth. Along with different pearls to achieve the multi-colored look
within the silver.

The best thing to do is take some good reference pictures, to your
local automotive paint supplier (Dupont should be a good one!), and see
What they could match up.

If their any good, they could come up with something for you. If they are
Just stool pigeons, let me know. If I have some good reference pictures, I
could figure out some colors, and give you some paint formulas to work from.

Thank you for your input! I will be visiting my local Dupont and look at some color samples.

There's some good discussion over at the robocop archive forums about the different paint effects used on each movie. I think I even remember that someone was able to interview an original painter for the process info.

Nick

Last edited:

Hmmm, going through my own "robo files" it looks like it's mostly lavender highlights and blues in the shadows in specific areas.

Tops of the ears discs and back of the head get blasts of lavender pretty consistantly.

I think the indented headband area is getting dusted with a layer of blue.

Interesting. I've never tried to pic apart the Paint pattern on robo before. I'm surprised how much the blue and purple patches stick out when you are looking for them!

:)

Nick

Also here are some screen used suit pics that show the pronounced blue/lavender effect in non studio lighting-

Nick,
Thank you for taking the time to post those pics and info!
I remember someone telling me that some green hues were also used and in those photos, I can see that now.
Strange how studio lighting will make those colors look different.
I've been looking at some color samples from Testors right now to see if I can find something there without having to spend the extra money on a pint of autobody paint.
They have a nice laquer paint called "Pontiac Engine Blue" that looks good for the overall color, and then there is candy purple and candy blue for the highlights.
I will have to pick some up at the hobby shop and do some tests.
Once I get rolling on this, I will change this thread up with some progress photos.
Thanks again!

If it were me I would start with a color shift paint. If you don't want to go with the high dollar quality paint I would look into Autoair. I use them all the time for airbrushing and they are great paints, would work welll for this IMO.
AutoAir Colors

Nick,
Thank you for taking the time to post those pics and info!
I remember someone telling me that some green hues were also used and in those photos, I can see that now.
Strange how studio lighting will make those colors look different.
I've been looking at some color samples from Testors right now to see if I can find something there without having to spend the extra money on a pint of autobody paint.
They have a nice laquer paint called "Pontiac Engine Blue" that looks good for the overall color, and then there is candy purple and candy blue for the highlights.
I will have to pick some up at the hobby shop and do some tests.
Once I get rolling on this, I will change this thread up with some progress photos.
Thanks again!

I would stick with Duplicolor auto paints. You really need three or four colors: a mint green, a silver, a blue, and a purplish. You then paint in long strokes to make wide stripes. I'd follow it up with a clear coat.

Here is my screenused Prime Directives Shoes next to my cheapie helmet. I only finished the mint green and a touch of silver, but you can see how close it is. Green is def. a prominent color although it does not appear as much on screen.

I believe all the paint I bought was in the GM family.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/robocop-prop-replica-thread-66651/index3.html#post1014613

Thank you both. I think what we are going for is the on-screen look, so green would be out. Finhead, thank you for the link - I will look into that.

Ok, looks like I need a black base for the colorshift. Though it would be a great effect, I dont think the real armor had colorshift. I will likely use the autobody paint (I will fond a good blue tinted silver color) and use candy purple and blue for light misting highlights - all tested out first of course.
Thanks for the support guys.

Here is my progression with this so far.

I chose a laquer paint called "Titanium Silver Blue" that I purchased at an auto parts store.
To get the best color coverage, the helmet was re-primered in white (it came pre-primered in gray).

I chose to use Krylon brand for the gloss black on the chin guard because of the smooth finish it gives. This piece was also hit with numerous coats of Krylon gloss for protection an extra shine.

The color highlights were important to make this thing "pop" like it should.
For the blue, I used Anodized Blue (Dupli-Color) which I extracted from the spray can for use in my airbrush. I could have purchased the Candy Blue laquer RC Car paint, but I already had the Anodized paint in stock and it worked well.
For the purple, I used "Grape Pearl" RC Car laquer paint. Like the Anodized paint, this stuff has a semi-transparent nature that was perfect for this application.
Both colors were applied with low-pressure mists through my airbrush.

Everything was finished off with numerous coats of Krylon Gloss. This product works fantastic as it gave me the desired ultra-smooth and glossy finish.

The back piece of the helmet is being worked on right now. I am repeating the paint process used on the lid, with the exception of masking off the lower section for gloss black.

20120611_152308.jpg

20120611_160545.jpg

20120611_163947.jpg

20120617_170900.jpg

20120611_115112.jpg

20120617_170835.jpg

loving the paint job. are you planning on buffing the gloss coat?

Not needed. The gloss is very smooth.

Finished up the back piece today.
As per the movie, the purple and blue highlights were made more prominent on this part of the helmet.
Once everything has had proper time to fully cure, I can assemble for finished photos.

20120618_105015.jpg

20120618_112150.jpg

20120618_112200.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back