Rise of Skywalker Falcon

Guesswork - the front panel interior might look like this? With some fill-ins for obscured areas.

Back panel - not enough info to go on.

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 13.43.20.png

Last edited:
Oh, well there ya go. (y)
Since Bandai has their Ep9 Falcon out already, does anyone know if the kit incorporates these new open panels?

EDIT: Nevermind. Looked at the pics on page 1.

The Form stuff looks great on outer surfaces, but then you have the whole problem of supports and all the blobby marks that they leave. There's no ideal process yet...

There usually is a way to print so supports aren’t an issue. Orientation and placement of the supports to protect details is a big part of it.

There usually is a way to print so supports aren’t an issue. Orientation and placement of the supports to protect details is a big part of it.

Depends what it is, though. Some objects are easy to arrange with out of the way support placements; some aren't.

Depends what it is, though. Some objects are easy to arrange with out of the way support placements; some aren't.

True, but I usually just use a lot of undersized support points with a few strategically placed larger ones to minimize any issues. There’s almost always a side of the model that is less seen too. ;)

nkg. Price. Love your parts and will most likely take advantage of your cockpit offering, but I believe a full compliment of upgrades is a little outside most people’s budget. Great work, please keep it up.

I am very selective about getting any upgrades- most I prefer to create myself but there are a few beyond my abilities, such as engine vent grills for the 1:144 Falcons. They do save some time and are pretty high quality these days in this age of 3D printing, but as mentioned you can spend far more that the kits cost very easily.

Indeed. I remember how I was so excited when I discovered that 3D printing existed, and meant reasonably high-rez parts with overhangs could be produced. Then the reality of pricing sank in...

Nice thing is that a lot of people are getting 3D printers and you are not limited to having to just deal with Shapeways now.

True, but if I want to get nkg's pieces printed, I have to use Shapeways. I'd much rather have his pieces printed on a Form3 or Anycube Photon, but Shapeways doesn't offer an equivalent quality just yet.

I am lucky I can 3d model myself, but if I couldn't, the only way to get nkg's files printed on a printer of my choice would be if he shared his files with me, which is understandably, unlikely.

So at this point my options are nkg's Shapeways pieces, which are very good, but do require some clean up to remove lines. Or to remodel all the pieces myself and find someone with a Form or Photon.

Yes, I’m afraid that I don’t plan on distributing the STL files. Mainly because Shapeways is the only reasonable way, thus far, to charge for the things and so break even. I don’t have any illusions about becoming a millionaire from this stuff, but I do want to cover my expenses in doing tons of test prints at least!
And the problem with distributing STLs is that there’s nothing to stop other people from reselling them without permission...

Yes, I’m afraid that I don’t plan on distributing the STL files. Mainly because Shapeways is the only reasonable way, thus far, to charge for the things and so break even. I don’t have any illusions about becoming a millionaire from this stuff, but I do want to cover my expenses in doing tons of test prints at least!
And the problem with distributing STLs is that there’s nothing to stop other people from reselling them without permission...

Of course, I'm not suggesting you should share them. I just wish Shapeways would upgrade their print quality for this stuff. It feels like 5 years or so since they've really made leaps forward on print quality. Many of your parts already print great, it's just some surfaces with curves that Shapeways printers have an issue with.

I agree! I really wish there were a higher resolution option available. Or perhaps eliminating whatever causes the print lines and stepping, since the lines don’t seem to match up with the actual print resolution per se.

I recently took the plunge and ordered all of the necessary parts, and had previously ordered parts from 308Bits. I've had the TFA version sitting in my to-do pile for five years, and decided to finally go for it. I'd always planned to do a proper original trilogy version, of course. The new kit has the round dish and non-mirrored sidewalls, but I'm sticking with what I have. Maybe some day I'll upgrade to the 1/72 kit, but this will be good for now.

Of course, the TFA lower maintenance pits are a problem. Dunno if I want to go to the trouble of trying to accurize them, even for an ESB version. Jaitea's ANH conversions blow me away.

If resin printers weren't so messy and toxic (or better: if the post-production on printed pieces wasn't), I'd buy one in a heartbeat. By now even the sub-$300 ones are getting great reviews and would be perfect for stuff like this.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back