Rise of Skywalker Falcon

mb1k

On shelves already and a return to the round dish.
Adjustments.JPG

E0D6C14C-C5C1-4931-A072-20ACC3ABE850.jpeg

No longer on the shelf, in the bag and in my possession. Couldn’t pass it up. I’ll figure out what to do with this and the TFA one. At least I won’t have to scratch build the dish on TFA one to ROTJ standard now. Suppose I can just have a version of each.

They never did release a 1/144 ANH 3-legger did they?

Last edited:
Lazy me was hoping the damage was molded (aka Perfect Grade) in this time around.
64093FBD-61FE-42F0-AF56-47F82B284D29.jpeg

Last edited:
TLJ Falcon repop with just a round dish? Don’t have my laptop with me to research the news releases, etc.

3670E1E1-11C7-4479-BE87-8A9D09833E27.jpeg

TLJ Falcon repop with just a round dish? Don’t have my laptop with me to research the news releases, etc.

I’m surprised as well. We’d surely buy it like the Perfect Grade offering. I don’t know if the accounting department sees retooling the lower hull and maintenance pits as worthwhile?

I know it's not the same thing, but they released 2 versions of the 1/350 scale kit.
I'd think that reworking the lower hull and tweaking a few details would be cheaper than engineering a new kit of another subject.
Plus... it's the Falcon! Practically guaranteed to sell well.

Hm. I really wonder how many people would buy an ANH Falcon in 1:144. I made most of the replacement parts to do a full ESB conversion for my own project, and put them on Shapeways if anybody else wanted them. Basically hardly anyone has! Perhaps the expense turned them off. Or maybe most people are happy enough with the kit as it is and don’t care about minutiae.

The problem should really be price. Buying a $50 Falcon and then spending double that on upgrades probably isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I'm just wondering if it was technically possible for Bandai to create a 1/144 version out of their PG 3D-model, or if the high level of detail would cause problems with that.

Hm. I really wonder how many people would buy an ANH Falcon in 1:144. I made most of the replacement parts to do a full ESB conversion for my own project, and put them on Shapeways if anybody else wanted them. Basically hardly anyone has! Perhaps the expense turned them off. Or maybe most people are happy enough with the kit as it is and don’t care about minutiae.

I would definitely buy an ANH or ESB Falcon in 1:144. I would also definitely buy your replacement parts if Shapeways had no visible stepping in their prints. I want 3d prints I use to match the quality of the Bandai plastic as far as sharpness and smoothness. If Shapeways could print your parts on something like a Form 2 or Form 3, I'd get them in a heartbeat.

I may yet buy them anyway, as I'm about to build a 1:144 and give up waiting on Bandai. I'll just have to do a little body work on them, but they look pretty good in your preview images.

Looking at that Fathead wall sticker picture, I think Bandai missed a couple missing panels, behind the radar and near the opening on the back left. I wonder if they give decals for it. Also, in that Fathead, are the blaster marks near the radar different? Weren't there 5 holes?
star_wars_ep-ix_millennium_falcon_prod-all-jpg-jpg.jpg

I would definitely buy an ANH or ESB Falcon in 1:144. I would also definitely buy your replacement parts if Shapeways had no visible stepping in their prints. I want 3d prints I use to match the quality of the Bandai plastic as far as sharpness and smoothness. If Shapeways could print your parts on something like a Form 2 or Form 3, I'd get them in a heartbeat.

Yes, that is sadly a problem with the Shapeways "fine detail" process. :( There are ways of working the material to reduce some of the stairstep effects, but unfortunately it can be a real problem where there's actual detail. It sucks.

The Form stuff looks great on outer surfaces, but then you have the whole problem of supports and all the blobby marks that they leave. There's no ideal process yet...

Looking at that Fathead wall sticker picture, I think Bandai missed a couple missing panels, behind the radar and near the opening on the back left. I wonder if they give decals for it. Also, in that Fathead, are the blaster marks near the radar different? Weren't there 5 holes?

There's no version of the Falcon that we've seen (so far) that has those missing panels. Possibly Episode 9?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back