RIP Wolfgang Petersen

JediMichael

Master Member
I saw that he died on the 12th, but couldn't find any threads on here for it.
(Unless I'm just missing it, as there has been a LOT of RIP threads lately)
So figured might as make one just incase.

Director of The Never Ending Story, Outbreak, Air Force One and a bunch more well known movies.

Wow, I had no idea. Rest in peace.

Das Boot is one of my favourite films of all time.
Yeah. Seems as all the other bigger names passing have trumped over him as passing.
Just the memory of watching Never Ending Story as a kid and how crazy it was.
I remember wondering how they did all the effects.

I saw that he died on the 12th, but couldn't find any threads on here for it.
(Unless I'm just missing it, as there has been a LOT of RIP threads lately)
So figured might as make one just incase.

Director of The Never Ending Story, Outbreak, Air Force One and a bunch more well known movies.
Air Force One…now there’s a movie that has not aged well. Re-watching it now, it is so corney it seems to be almost satirical.

The crash scene alone, with the horribly executed CGI of Air Force One hitting the water and hammy wire & blue screen acting by the Great Harrison Ford (Master Thespian of the “angry hand-waving and finger pointing method”) always makes me giggle when I see it.

A8014DD7-1C96-4A54-A29A-F3158DEE2379.jpeg

Not Wolfgang’s best work there, compared to his other films…but it did make a lot of money.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Troy is one of the primary titles I collect from; partially because it's a more attainable substitute for LOTR material, but I also have a lot of genuine nostalgia for it. Not a perfect movie, but I think it gets more criticism than it deserves. I've had in the back of my mind for a while the idea that maybe one day he'd be at some event where I'd get to ask him a question - oh well.

Air Force One…now there’s a movie that has not aged well. Re-watching it now, it is so corney it seems to be almost satirical.

The crash scene alone, with the horribly executed CGI of Air Force One hitting the water and hammy wire acting by the Great Harrison Ford always makes me giggle when I see it.

View attachment 1609222

Not Wolfgang’s best work there, compared to his other films…but it did make a lot of money.
Not seen the whole movie, just parts. Don't remember much anyways.
Just watched that crash....yeah, pretty bad looking.

The Never Ending Story is still one of my favorites. It blew my mind when I was a kid and I contend it's still one of the greatest children's films ever made.

RIP Mr. Petersen.

I think that film functions on two levels... there's the childhood fantasy mixed with a healthy dose of fear, and the "coming of age" drama that adults can relate to.

Absolutely. The greatest kids films can just as easily appeal to adults when they're well written. The parallels between Bastian and his father dealing with grief works on a lot of levels I didn't pick up on right away when I was younger. The whole thing works metaphorically too as Bastian overcoming his circumstances, both literally and psychologically. Brilliant film, made by an incredible talent.

Absolutely. The greatest kids films can just as easily appeal to adults when they're well written. The parallels between Bastian and his father dealing with grief works on a lot of levels I didn't pick up on right away when I was younger. The whole thing works metaphorically too as Bastian overcoming his circumstances, both literally and psychologically. Brilliant film, made by an incredible talent.
Awesome film and incredible soundtrack! RIP Mr. Petersen/ :(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back