Rick Deckard Blade Runner 1982 - Soup to Nuts!

tumblr_nsrn78gnl61qdkmano1_1280.jpg

Found a great reference photo of the belt and darker trousers. Interesting that the belt isn't looped through the side loop of the trousers.

Yes, that one is also interesting! I always thought that the reverse of the belt was some kind of chamois protruding on each side of it...:unsure:

Third times the charm?

Working on the third (and hopefully final) mock up before we settle on fabric and buttons for the final jackets.

Only a few subtle changes on this one, but already very happy with this color.

As opposed to the second jacket, this one I pre-washed the material so only the thread will shrink up.

Attachments

• 3AB08E25-71DA-4316-A4D9-842EEC19836F.jpeg
    3AB08E25-71DA-4316-A4D9-842EEC19836F.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 183
Jacket Mock Up 3 is under way!

One large issue on the past two jackets has been that, while I did redesign the collar completely from the initial masking tape patterns, I used the same overall length.

That presented an issue I didn't even think about - the top stitching on the ribbing shortens the collar by several inches.

So I have adjusted that length on this version.

Aside from that, only a few minor changes to this one in some detail measurements like the pockets and cuffs.

Attachments

• 5DDD989A-022E-43B7-AF6C-DF567926B1E0.jpeg
    5DDD989A-022E-43B7-AF6C-DF567926B1E0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 206
  • E2991E4C-A75D-4D2D-B813-549B4E7ED06E.jpeg
    E2991E4C-A75D-4D2D-B813-549B4E7ED06E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 171
  • 07126CCE-5D75-4159-BD44-D1E753D624BD.jpeg
    07126CCE-5D75-4159-BD44-D1E753D624BD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
After chatting with Mark about the second mock up, and staring at the third version pinned together on my dress form for a few days, I decided to redesign the collar again.

The angle of the end on the right side just wasn't sitting correctly, and I am hoping this version will also fold over in the rear a bit flatter.

I also could not get over how large the notch of the collar closure flap had come out, so I altered that as well.

9E089CFC-3647-42EF-BFAD-53A6839F5A05.jpeg
7E9EB243-9416-4DAA-8B0F-2910A1F333CB.jpeg

Great work...the look of the coat really depends, mostly, on the details of the collar. I know that it all comes to details (buttons, pockets, weight/color of the fabric, etc. But, as you can see, that pesky collar is a "make or break" affair. Great work btw (y) ;)

Wow! These are fantastic pics! Thank you so much. I really appreciate the reference!
It is so funny to see the jacket look so pristine in some of those photos.

I ended up have a few disasters with the current mock up (I felt like garbage and was working on it when I shouldn't have been) but took this morning to redo the front panels. Between that and redoing the collar, I will call this one Mark 3.5.

Really happy with how it is turning out so far though. Learn something with every iteration!

The collar shape is more refined, and I added some radius to the ribs ( kinda looks to be the case in the shots in the spinner where the collar is up) and moved some placement on the pockets, which lines the cuffs up nicely with their length compared to the pockets.

I feel this one will be 80% there, which for this jacket is *really* close.

Still sorting the buttons for the front closure, but I think Mark is going to pull a few tricks from his sleeve (and resources!)

Next up will be the liner, which will be a satin chestnut colored liner. Still going with a half liner, but will have a nice ease and hopefully less friction with the blazer sleeves.

Attachments

• 66E94399-B509-4E38-A8AF-B41444CEC493.jpeg
    66E94399-B509-4E38-A8AF-B41444CEC493.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 315
New to the forum here. Blade Runner is my favorite movie and I've always wanted to get a Rick Deckard outfit. What do any of you think the original herringbone blazer/suit was made of? Is it linen or wool?

New to the forum here. Blade Runner is my favorite movie and I've always wanted to get a Rick Deckard outfit. What do any of you think the original herringbone blazer/suit was made of? Is it linen or wool?
I believe the auction listing had it described a rough woven silk.

Definitely having a tough time picking which of the three pants I would want to get: the matching pants, the tweed pants he wears with the pink and the oval shirt (like the one you have) or the dark pants he wears with the pink and sea green shirt (that one is the most baffling as I cannot tell the color or cloth material used on those).

Also I skimmed through the movie and noticed Deckard wears 4 different main outfits and counted how long they appear on screen (ie: only when Deckard is on screen). The only constants are the trench coat, herringbone silk jacket and his Adidas Officials Sneakers.
1: Matching Pants, Gray shirt w/purple floral stripes, brown "music note" tie
2: Charcoal brown tweed pants, Blue & pink oval shirt, red and grey squares tie
3: Dark brown pants, Pink and Sea Green shirt (then oval shirt again), red and grey squares tie
4: Matching pants, triangle shirt, black and silver tie

Matching pants (32 minutes) Dark Brown pants (26 minutes) Tweed pants (18 minutes)
Gray Shirt (8 minutes) Triangle shirt (24 minutes) Oval shirt (23 minutes) Pink sea green shirt (18 minutes)

Last edited:
I actually found the link to the auction for most of Deckard's outfits and apparently the herringbone jacket/matching pants ARE actually made of linen so you have the correct fabric. However like you said the Bonham's auction from 1999 said it was silk, so I don't think anybody knows what the actual material is. The problem now is that I want to get the clothing from Magnoli clothiers and while they are mostly accurate, the jacket they sell is a wool blend, does not have the herringbone pattern and two buttons instead of the screen accurate one button. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-gb/item/6321574_877-harrison-ford-voight-kampff-costume-blade-runner

Last edited:
I'm loving all your work on this. Compared to just about every other replica out there, you've managed to make the coat look more like a real garment rather than a costume piece--which is really the ideal outcome, isn't it?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back