Rey's terrible very bad Lightsaber skills: Star Wars

BINGO! Luke even talks about shooting womprats. Whether driving a Bentley or a yugo, the controls are similar. And anakin in a pod...he worked in a junkyard and built stuff.

Thanks, CW, its as if folk who like tlj didnt see any prior Star Wars movies.

*BUT* Rey who never flew anything, flies the Millenium falcon through a star destroyer. She blind side aims a bellygun at a tie fighter.

EDIT : @ Zuiun, Your argument killed itself... HARD!

As I said before, no amount of evidence is enough.7

Last edited:
Factors to consider:

Snoke doesn't look like the kind of guy who would have kept Kylo's lightsaber training up to speed. The man-groot hybrid doesn't even own a lightsaber of his own. Kylo was rusty.
Kylo had just committed patricide. Probably not exactly in the zone.
Kylo's confidence also has to be at least somewhat shaken because of Rey's unexpected resistance to his Vulcan mind-meld.
Kylo is wearing a heavy cape. You know what Edna Mode said about capes. (Vader is an exception. Vader's awesomeness alone outweighs this principle.)
Kylo's lightsaber sucks. It's powered by an Aliexpress Kyber Crystal and spews janky ionizing radiation all over the place. The legendary lightsaber Rey is wielding is practically powered by a GIA certified Infinity Stone.
Rey has that cool English "RP" accent. The most badass characters in SW have an English accent - Obi Wan, Tarkin, .... heck, it's such a powerful tool that Vader actually designed his suit to give him an English accent. Her natural accent gives her an edge.
Rey is a hysterically enraged woman with a weapon. I've been married long enough to know this is a no-win situation. I'd throw in the towel right there.

Last edited:
Snoke would have gotten away with it, too, if not for those meddling kids and that wookie!

Alliexpress crystals are just like Sony. Just no waranty.

Kylo doesnt have a cape, it is a careful weave of ForceBack Hair.

No, *NOT* a weave. Stop it!

You know what I mean. Real Force Backhair.

You also disregard Kylo's army of Force bananas. They will come out in the deleted scenes in the titanium box edition, but it was found to be "too intelligent" for most audiences.

Rey has gnashed teeth look down almost as gooder as Kirsten Stewart's hyperventilates or blank stares.

Quick to defend without reading the wookipedia.
T-16
"Fully pressurized cockpit allowing it to operate at trans-orbital altitudes."
"....used as training vehicles by the Rebel Alliance., due to the fact that their flight controls were similar to those of X-wings. "

- - - Updated - - -

A T-16 Skyhopper is not an X-Wing. Flying in atmosphere is not the same as flying in vacuum, let alone in military formation while being shot at.
It's like saying that driving your civvy Hummer on the freeway is the same as driving a Sherman tank across northern Africa.

Just quoting to preseeve

I stand by my statement. Even assuming the the wookiepedia article is more correct than the video posted by CWDevine regarding the altitude capabilities of the T-16, flying a T-16 solo in atmosphere would be markedly different from flying an X-Wing for the first time in a live fire situation against the biggest battle station the galaxy had ever seen.
If we're going to go down the rabbit-hole of applying this logic to Rey then we should apply it to every character who performed way out of their depth.

Point being, Rey is skilled at almost everything, but with no training in anything! The problem lies with two people, Abrams & Johnson.

To truly write a SW movie takes years and years to develop. Lucas had decades and more to figure out his story and overall vision. You can't just put this together within a year and a half and expect it to be great!

Countless hours have to be invested in this, for it to succeed. Now if J.J. took 3 years, just to get the story right for TFA, he probably would have created a classic! True quality comes with time, but I guess Disney/Lucasfilm have no idea of this!

Last edited:
Point being, Rey is skilled at almost everything, but with no training in anything! The problem lies with two people, Abrams & Johnson.

To truly write a SW movie takes years and years to develop. Lucas had decades and more to figure out his story and overall vision. You can't just put this together within a year and a half and expect it to be great!

Countless hours has to be invested in this for it to succeed. Now if J.J. took 3 years, just get the story right for TFA, he'd probably would have created a classic! True quality comes with time, but I guess Disney/Lucasfilm has no idea of this!

Having taken a lot of time to study writing and story building, I'm gonna say this is not precisely true. A dedicated writer doesn't necessarily need years to craft a tight story, certainly not a screenplay. This is hugely dependent on the writer, on a case by case basis.

All that aside, the "Rey is awesome with no training" argument just doesn't hold water.
If we're going to compare her to Luke then we should do so fairly.

She's lived on her own for years on Jakku, where she clearly learned how to fight and survive on her own. As of the beginning of TFA she's already a bigger badass than Luke was at the start of ANH because of this. At the end of that film she fights a powerful but mentally unhinged Kylo Ren and bests him by giving in to the force though only having learned of it recently. You'll note that we see her actually kicking a few ruffians asses on Jakku prior to this. It's established that she knows how to fight already.

We never see Luke do anything pilot-wise in ANH, except drive his busted old landspeeder in search of R2, though he brags a good game in front of Han at the cantina ("I'm not such a bad pilot myself! We don't have to sit here and listen to this") and during the planning prior to the Death Star attack, where he mentions flying the T-16 and bullseyeing womp rats.
Then he gets in an X-Wing and even though he's just learned about the force that day or the day prior, he successfully tunes in to it enough to fly down the trench at 1000's of kph and nail the target perfectly.

If we go down this line of reasoning then it seems blatantly clear to me that we're all a bunch of ******* nerds. Wait, I mean it seems blatantly clear to me that Rey's situation parallels Luke's so closely specifically to assuage these kinds of "She's too good at stuff" arguments.
Which then cues the folks who bitch about the movie being a complete retread of ANH and then I throw my hands in the air and walk away for a bit to catch my breath.

Having taken a lot of time to study writing and story building, I'm gonna say this is not precisely true. A dedicated writer doesn't necessarily need years to craft a tight story, certainly not a screenplay. This is hugely dependent on the writer, on a case by case basis.

All that aside, the "Rey is awesome with no training" argument just doesn't hold water.
If we're going to compare her to Luke then we should do so fairly.

She's lived on her own for years on Jakku, where she clearly learned how to fight and survive on her own. As of the beginning of TFA she's already a bigger badass than Luke was at the start of ANH because of this. At the end of that film she fights a powerful but mentally unhinged Kylo Ren and bests him by giving in to the force though only having learned of it recently. You'll note that we see her actually kicking a few ruffians asses on Jakku prior to this. It's established that she knows how to fight already.

We never see Luke do anything pilot-wise in ANH, except drive his busted old landspeeder in search of R2, though he brags a good game in front of Han at the cantina ("I'm not such a bad pilot myself! We don't have to sit here and listen to this") and during the planning prior to the Death Star attack, where he mentions flying the T-16 and bullseyeing womp rats.
Then he gets in an X-Wing and even though he's just learned about the force that day or the day prior, he successfully tunes in to it enough to fly down the trench at 1000's of kph and nail the target perfectly.

If we go down this line of reasoning then it seems blatantly clear to me that we're all a bunch of ******* nerds. Wait, I mean it seems blatantly clear to me that Rey's situation parallels Luke's so closely specifically to assuage these kinds of "She's too good at stuff" arguments.
Which then cues the folks who bitch about the movie being a complete retread of ANH and then I throw my hands in the air and walk away for a bit to catch my breath.

Well then clearly Abrams and Johnson weren't equipped for the job. As I said, something like SW takes time to get it right.

I stand by my statement. Even assuming the the wookiepedia article is more correct than the video posted by CWDevine regarding the altitude capabilities of the T-16, flying a T-16 solo in atmosphere would be markedly different from flying an X-Wing for the first time in a live fire situation against the biggest battle station the galaxy had ever seen.
If we're going to go down the rabbit-hole of applying this logic to Rey then we should apply it to every character who performed way out of their depth.

denial of clearly verifiable data is not a valid argument.

You can "stand by "2 + 2 = 7 as well.

Yeah, not like Luke dreamed of joining the rebellion or anything.

Y'know what, I'll just take the win.

Please explain to me where it is clearly verifiable that flying a T-16 in atmosphere is equivalent to flying an X-Wing in vacuum while being shot at by a Dark Lord of the Sith. Luke had exactly one experience with the force prior to that fight, where he blocked a blaster bolt from the training bot.
There was nothing in ANH to show you that he was prepared for the death star attack run. But go ahead, tell me again how he gets a pass for being magically awesome at his job with no training while Rey needs to be scrutinized from here til next week.
Apply the same rules across the board, or your point is moot.

Point being, Rey is skilled at almost everything, but with no training in anything! The problem lies with two people, Abrams & Johnson.!

Point being, Luke is skilled at almost everything, but with no training in anything!

I feel like if the character were Ray instead if Rey, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But hey, that's ok. Keep forgiving Luke for the same things you condemn Rey for if that's your jam.

Wow! So you two didnt even watch A New Hope.

Yeah, aside from Luke's prior training *and* a guy named Kenobi teaching him and coaching him...even from the dead!

Vs Rey, who just reverses getting her mind probed, out force pulls and defeats Kylo...y'know, son of Luke's sis.

Your denial of inconvenient facts is not a valid point.

You have no credibility.

Go watch the movies. Really, how blatantly disingenuous are you willing to stoop?

Its like Karate Kid, except Rey had no Mr. MIyagi, masters a fighting style she was never taught, but the guy who got the basics from a master, coached during his big fight is EXACTLY THE SAME to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irvU09MM-l4

The guy has some valid points! I'd guess Rey's skills would be bad, since she wasn't "officially" trained (Or was she???). Though, she did beat Kylo, which is still odd. Thanks J.J. Abrams!:thumbsup

In all fairness, It looked to me like Luke didn't teach her a dang thing and Rey was training herself... Which would account for why the stances and moves are so wrong.

And forms are taught because they work, not because they look pretty, cept maybe wushu. So, this concept that someone compmetely untrained in the use of laser swords self-trains for a few hours on a defenseless rock and defeats masters is stupid in the least, foolish at worst.

EDIT: better yet, I'll give you that she does everything wrong and still defeats masters. Another confirmation of Star Wars getting Disney'd. Broke instead of woke

Last edited:
In all fairness, It looked to me like Luke didn't teach her a dang thing and Rey was training herself... Which would account for why the stances and moves are so wrong.
Well, in ESB it didn’t look like Yoda was doing much lightsaber teaching either.

EDIT: better yet, I'll give you that she does everything wrong and still defeats masters.
Rey defeated a master? You’re not thinking of Kylo, are you? He’s no master.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back