Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Hmmmm. Mine is resin and pvc on an aluminum pipe. I'm in the US, and I've been wondering what would happen if I tried to fly with it. I bet it would have to be declared too:(

I think you should ask the compagny before depart yes. But it's an airplane, so I don't believe they would consider the staff as the menace if it's stay in your suitcase during the travel.
In train it's different, because your lugguage is near you, so there is more risk of an agression on other person.
Eurostar depart from France, and now we are state of emergency (because of terrorist attack), so the mood is tense and security officer are really fussy about all object that look like offensive weapon that can harm people. (It can be kitchen knife, firecracker, toy gun or even walking pole. Anything that a person can use to kill other people is ban or must be register before depart).

Hmmmm. Mine is resin and pvc on an aluminum pipe. I'm in the US, and I've been wondering what would happen if I tried to fly with it. I bet it would have to be declared too:(

Absolutely nothing will happen if you fly with it in checked baggage. It does not need to be declared. You can check anything. You only have to declare real firearms and perhaps full-sized bladed weapons (I can't remember on that one for sure).

I've flown with lightsabers, prop guns, live ammunition, prop grenades, magazines for guns, staffs, etc and never had a problem. I took a very small amount of ammo when I did that and I tried to declare it and without a gun with it, they didn't care. You have to have both to be a threat, and it has to be with you, so in checked baggage, it's whatever except for firearms (and like I said, maybe swords - I can't remember on that, as I've never done that).

Oh, and I occasionally fly with a 16-lb bowling ball in my carry-on. Totally OK to do that, too, but dude, it suuuuucks. ;)

Thanks, folks! That's good to know, because I've been wondering! This is my first cosplay, so I don't know much about traveling with props.

Bowling ball?:confused Sounds like there's a story to that one.....

I did. others have used the Petzls but ultimately these are pretty good if you weather them some.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 640998

here's mine

Hi Kristen - I bought these gloves and made a stabbing attempt, but found I have no idea how to weather them - they stI'll look shiny and too light, and seem almost waterproof, I haven't been able to get them dark and used-looking.. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Hmmmm.... they look light?

Mine were the opposite, LOL.... they were quite dark and I added lighter coloured paints to weather them.

Can you post a pic? If they seem light, then i would advise using darker brown acrylic paint and dry brush it round the edges and in the seams...taking care to add it whre dirt and wear would naturally accumulate: the palms, fingertips, etc.

Thanks, folks! That's good to know, because I've been wondering! This is my first cosplay, so I don't know much about traveling with props.

Bowling ball?:confused Sounds like there's a story to that one.....

Not much of a story, really, but TSA has a field day, and when I met the cast of The Guild, every one of them had to take Carmine and play with him. ;)

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/220378/

By the way, my dad worked for TSA for years, and for ages I'd call him and ask him about what I could fly with. He got to where he'd get a little annoyed with me, because seriously, if it's checked is so doesn't matter. We don't think about that until it affects us, but people check EVERYTHING. (Think about, say, biathlon competitors, who take sniper rifles and skis all over the world. Anything goes down below. The thing they look for most in checked bags is explosives and things that look like them. So anything with something organic combined with wires and a power source is a concern. Don't put your watch with a deck of cards - that got me once. Paper blocks look like C-4 blocks on the scanners.)

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmmm.... they look light?

Mine were the opposite, LOL.... they were quite dark and I added lighter coloured paints to weather them.

Can you post a pic? If they seem light, then i would advise using darker brown acrylic paint and dry brush it round the edges and in the seams...taking care to add it whre dirt and wear would naturally accumulate: the palms, fingertips, etc.

Waiting on mine... ;)

IMG_2659.JPG

Backpack accessories are getting painted. I ended up using milliput for the side bottle rings and I have to say, wow, that stuff worked really well. I also ended up using it for the cap on the small can that has the chain.

I am still working on a way to make my side bottle both larger and functional.

I love the sculpt I have... it's perfect in terms of detail. but it is both too small and non functional. i want to be able to carry water in it/drink from it at troops, and it's far too short/small around to look right on the side of the pack.

I've been hunting for an aluminum water bottle to use, but they are all seemingly either too large around, or they have the wrong kind of opening for a screw cap like the screen used one.

Also, i could swear I've seen some rubber weather stripping or something that looks like the ring around it. Or possibly a rubber gasket for a firewall mounted canister in a semi truck... i dunno.

But I am going to find a way to make it work!

I love how Redwillow made hers... i may try that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work!
How did you do the side bottle? It looks like you made it in three pieces.
It's just one bottle with 4 rings added with the miliput. I cut the original cap and glued 2 other caps over it, then put a washer inside to keep from leaking and so no glue, paint, rub n buff, etc can come in contact with the liquid in the bottle.

The bottom detail is just another cap I had and a 1/2" wood dowel shaped and glued on.
It's hard to see in the pic, but I also rouned out the bottom with more milliput because the original bottle was inset at the bottom.

Here it is getting the rings. I was originally only going to do the outer larger ones, but it came out so well, I decided to throw the smaller ones that the sling sits on onto it too.

IMG_2644.JPG IMG_2652.JPG

I looked at the weatherstrip but I could not come up with anything that was rigid enough. Also checked out some plumbing washers & gaskets but everything I found was wrong in some way.

I just did the rough shape and got the pieces stuck on, then after it set up I went back and got the shape closer with sanding.

I think my side bottle might be slightly too large, but I was lucky to come up with something even this close.

....still need to try to get the soap residue in the bottle rinsed out, so it doesn't have a soapy taste!

Last edited:
I'm from Canada and I'm looking for the british signals satchel. I've already scoured all of my army surplus stores in my city to no avail. If anyone has access to one, I would be forever grateful! PLZ message me! Thanks a lot <3

I'm not sure if this has been decided yet (since I've only been able to read up to page 42 since theres sooo many pages) but I was wondering if anyone used this fabric from dharma trading for the pants. I just got my swatch today in the mail but I wanted to see if anyone else has used it before I buy it! Thanks!

Looks perfect!

actually...it looks just like mine, lol.

I'm making a couple more, ATM. For some reason I completely forgot when I made my first one that the direction of the "weaving" on the screen used one is diagonal, not horizontal...:wacko

Al I'd have needed to do was rotate my rug as I'd cut it out and I'd have nailed that bit.

Screen Used:

IMG_4381.jpg

Mine:

12801593_10208266141747537_2026513747553411586_n.jpg

Ah well... that's what remakes are for LOL.

In addition to buying the same rug as before, they also had another that was a tighter weave, and looks to be all cotton instead of the synthetic material of the first one...soo I'm going to make one out of each and see what works better. :)

looks awesome!

I'd considered making something to go into those two loops as well... but ultimately decided against it. I think it's cool you made them, though. Your scavenger can never have too many bits lying about. :D

I'd half considered trying to tackle making the cleaning kit they show in the visual dictionary. It'd be a nice bit of stuff to carry round in your scavenger pack.

I was going through a McCall's catalog today and saw https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7421 which I think must be new. It was on sale for $2 so I bought it. I wish I had this before I muddled my way through everything! It's not perfect but it looks like a good starting point. I may rework my shirt using the pattern as a starting point, and I'm interested to see how the arm wrap gauntlets they give work out.

Yeah i did the same with mine. I knew it was diagonal, but i was rushing and i guess i didnt turn it enough before cutting.

Backpack is DONE!!! This thing was a huge amount of work. Made the 2 small capsules, but i dont think we will use them, they just look too plain.

View attachment 644409 View attachment 644415 View attachment 644416

Hope mine turns out that good! I'm patterning it in felt that I had lying about so I can get a feel for the size and shape. I've actually inspired my mom to start a purse for herself using the backpack as inspiration!

I'm not sure if this has been decided yet (since I've only been able to read up to page 42 since theres sooo many pages) but I was wondering if anyone used this fabric from dharma trading for the pants. I just got my swatch today in the mail but I wanted to see if anyone else has used it before I buy it! Thanks!

Thats what I used and I loved how it turned out. I didn't see many details on how people did pants, so I just went with that since I'd seen it posted as a suggestion. At first it may feel a little stiff, but after all of the washing associated with dying it softened up and is super nice to wear. It is nubby, but at least in my opinion it looks great.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

So, hit the local con today with the current "calling it done" costume. Very happy with it, but it's been a ton of work.

sadly GF didnt win the costume contest in scifi category, but a cool 7+ ft Grievous did, so at least another sw cosplay took it.
Got tons of compliments and pic requests. At least a couple people said they thought it was movie quality which meant alot to us.

head wrap - hand made from dharma fabric

goggles - hand made with working light from a keychain light

wrap dress - joann fabric

shirt - modified henley shirt with the sleeves removed

belt - hand made from half leather hide

hip bag - re worked rothco ammo bag from amazon

bracer - hand made from half leather hide also using division6 pattern

gloves - Petzels compliments of Kristen we modified!

backpack - made from the messenger bag discovered by Kristen. We had to crazy scale this down for her small size to something like 8x11 and it still looks a little long in the pic to me.

Shoulder pad - made from the rug found by Kristen ( seeing a pattern here?)

backpack bottles and greeblies - scratch built from household and garage items

arm wraps - self adhesive ace bandages....might upgrade these since they seem a little too yellow and aren't the right fabric

pants -Marshalls off the rack

boots - POZU's

staff - scratch build using a modified version of the kylegilbert pipe build with authentic enfield slings we were able to grab off ebay.

Was def cool to have the usable side bottle at the con... Just dumped some gatorade in there and good to go. Was planning on getting a 3d printed staff, but so many people seemed to like the fact this was scratch made with home depot parts we may just stick with it. GF will be continuing to post the builds for pieces on her blog at: https://emeraldb.com/category/cosplay/ over the next few months.

for now we're going back to the resistance costume, since we only need the pants and shirt to have it complete.
Special thx to Kristen for all her knowledge and helpfulness!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back