Revell Razor Crest (PIC HEAVY)

SirSandalot

Hello there! Long time no see.

So last week I finished the Razor Crest and I gotta tell you guys I had a BLAST.
I had never painted chrome before but then I realized it wasn't gonna be super-reflective anyway because Revell chose this weird plastic that has a grainy texture so... just painted it "chrome" and went with it. Then changed a few panels to a darker metal color and then added very basic effects. Literally black paint (smoke) and some black ink (speed streaks). You can tell some of the effects were a bit clumsy and I didn't even care. The result is so cool, even if its not a replica paintjob by any means, just my happy hobby version.

Bad guy Revell for not adding a Grogu. Seriously this is NOT the way.

For more pics and videos visit my social media accounts (links in my therpf user profile). Say you come from therpf :cool:

What do you guys think?! I was a bit surprised how well it turned out given the little effort! Literally just base color, oil pin wash panel lines, smoke and streaks. I guess ometimes that's all it takes, like when I painted my AT-AT.
IMG_20221020_213001.jpg

IMG_20221020_212557.jpg

IMG_20221020_212624.jpg

IMG_20221020_212637.jpg

IMG_20221020_212655.jpg

IMG_20221020_212708.jpg

IMG_20221020_212723.jpg

IMG_20221020_212742.jpg

IMG_20221020_212802.jpg

IMG_20221020_213040.jpg

IMG_20221020_212527.jpg

IMG_20221020_213123.jpg

IMG_20221020_213023.jpg

IMG_20221020_212644.jpg

IMG_20221020_213056.jpg

IMG_20221020_213136.jpg

IMG_20221020_212913.jpg

IMG_20221020_212840.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221020_213238.jpg
    IMG_20221020_213238.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 122
Really looks great! I know the texture is controversial, but once its painted and weathered I can't even notice. For an OOB build, you did a great job.

Yeah, as mentioned, the metal look is perfect

A true mirror chrome effect would just look too toy like at this scale

What paints did you use?

Wow, that looks excellent! Beautiful paint work, and it’s so nice to see someone having fun in our supposed to be fun hobby!

Really looks great! I know the texture is controversial, but once its painted and weathered I can't even notice. For an OOB build, you did a great job.
Thank you! Totally agree with you. What's OOB? Out of the box?
Yeah, as mentioned, the metal look is perfect

A true mirror chrome effect would just look too toy like at this scale

What paints did you use?
Exactly! I've seen a few of these painted like an actual mirror but they just didn't have the looks of a big fat vehicle. I forgot to mention that I used some of the smoke effects to add volume helping with the "shadows" so that it had a more realistic reflectivity. If that makes any sense!
Paints for the fuselage: regular black primer (not specific for chrome paint), then gloss varnish, then Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome. It looks too bright and white at first but then it get's darker as you apply more effects. If necessary, after the paintjob is finished, you can use satin and matt varnish to add another layer of detail to the model.

Wow, that looks excellent! Beautiful paint work, and it’s so nice to see someone having fun in our supposed to be fun hobby!
Haha thank you! It can be tedious... but sometimes the planets align and everything goes your way and then it's a lot of fun.
That looks great to me! What paint did you use for the chrome?
Thank you! Paints for the fuselage: regular black primer (not specific for chrome paint), then gloss varnish, then Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome. It looks too bright and white at first but then it get's darker as you apply more effects. If necessary, after the paintjob is finished, you can use satin and matt varnish to add another layer of detail to the model.

Thank you! Paints for the fuselage: regular black primer (not specific for chrome paint), then gloss varnish, then Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome.

Perfect!

I was already thinking of using the Spaz Stix stuff myself since I had used it before on the 1/72 Naboo starfighter. It is quite durable and produces a very convincing metal look even though it looks more like aluminum than mirror chrome in most cases depending on the surface

Either way it looked more in scale

Amazing work !! The support stand you've used - I've been looking for something like for a Hasbro X-wing repaint I've just started. Where did you get that or what is that type of support called ?

Amazing work !! The support stand you've used - I've been looking for something like for a Hasbro X-wing repaint I've just started. Where did you get that or what is that type of support called ?
That’s a Panavise Mount. I also used one on my Hasbro Repaint.

Do the parts lend themselves to kitbashing-I see Planet of the Titans here...or tubes where the engines go with multiple tops of this ship as a causeway.

Do the parts lend themselves to kitbashing-I see Planet of the Titans here...or tubes where the engines go with multiple tops of this ship as a causeway.
Sorry for the late reply. Everything in this kit comes in two half shells: engines, main body, cannons... so nothing usable for kitbashing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back