Revell Razor Crest Lighting WIP

Antsnest

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Had this kit kicking around for a while and finally decided to get started on a lighting system. The first thing that needed sorting out was the engines - these either need opening out with drills and files, or you can take the 21st century option of 3D printing some replacements with all the holes included ;-)

I did a quick rough-out and printed with FDM just to make sure I'd got the basic sizes right, and then started to finesse the details for a resin print. Much of this was just eyeballed from the kit part. One interesting thing I noticed was the 13 (?) small round nozzles are not evenly spaced - they appear in clumps, two of 3 and one of 7. I didn't bother trying to replicate that - mine are evenly spaced.

j8qwT1Z.jpg


Kit part on left, FDM centre, resin right.

I've not done the irregular "ramparts" around the outer cone yet (for want of better words) - and have a few more minor tweaks for size to come, but generally looking good so far.

gpqnadz.jpg


nRRSv6h.jpg


Here's an interesting example of thing to take note of when designing for 3D print - the nozzle was printed flat on the build plate but as it forms it is basically a cylinder perpendicular to the FEP sheet. Although there is not much resin sticking to the FEP on each layer, because it's a hollow cylinder, there is a huge amount of suction force to overcome each time the build plate lifts.
This had the effect of almost ripping the resin layers apart which you can see in the following picture, on the left. The surface finish is very poor and rough. On the next attempt I added a vent hole to prevent the suction and this worked - but only from the point where the hole starts to form. Below that, the surface is still poor.
In the 3rd version on the right, I've opened up the gaps in the outer flange and cut into the bottom of the cylinder so these parts are always open right from the bottom. Here there is no suction effect and the surface finish is fine.

PHOrBRJ.jpg
 

JNordgren42

Active Member
Nice work!

And yes, suction forces are a bitch. Light off delay can also help with rough surfaces (especially with solid or large surface area prints), but adequate vent holes as you have done is definitely the way to go if you can.
 

Analyzer

Master Member
Yeah, the diffuser sure seems to work like a charm with one LED.

That will save on battery life if running by battery
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top