Retro / Steampunk raygun - Finished! Showoff thread

Lovely work! I have a minor nit of my own-- the Philips screws. The Philips was patented in '36; I doubt any existed in '33, and if they did, they'd have been used for car manufacture, as that's what they were intended for.

Yikes, I was not aware of this....At least now Ill know for next time.

I guess the advanced screws will have to be attributed to the advanced science applied to the rest of the gun.

DS

I like the textured look of it, I like the way you weathered it too. I do miss the metal though, but I think it looks good with the whole gun finished one way, as opposed to what I suggested in the build thread. The work you've put into her really shows.

There were a few times during the painting process where I thought the gun was ruined. I actually painted it about 5 times.

Man, I've been there so many times, you get a project 3/4 done and your loving it, and then you start painting, and you start hating it!! :unsure

But in this case you certainly pulled it through!

Is this going to be part of a retro gun display with your WETA blaster? :love

For that black plastic cap, I would use the black to your advantage.

Whey not dry brush a metal color over the cap, making it look metal but leaving the black down in the bottom of the 'V' groves? Then give it a good wash or patina. It's not a part you really touch that much so the paint should stay on pretty well.

Bloody amazing!
One of my absolute favourite builds here to date. Well done mate and thanks for sharing!
PLEASE apply the same paint treatment that you did to the rest of the gun on the black knurled tube cap. To my eye it sticks out like a black plastic bit that just doesn't belong and it draws me out of the belief that it's a real artifact of a bygone era.
I hope you don't mind me saying so but I agree with Rabittooth.
As it is now, I think it looks like a vial and vial cap attached to the gun rather than something "integrated" with the gun. The other parts really go so nicely together so maybe that's why this "sticks out".
A matching paint job or even making the cap look more like a nut/bolt head..?

Either way, absolutely stunning work Pat!

Thanks again guys!
BTW, I posted the images of the gun over at the Weta website and I got a response from the Weta Raygun's designer and concept artists, Greg Broadmore....It looks as though he got a kick out of it and gave it a big thumbs up! :thumbsup

DS

What do you have more of... wall space or table space?

I prefer stand-up simply because it allows folks to see the whole thing like it was being held by an invisible hand, but the reality of space in my home dictates that I wall mount just about everything.

-Gordon

Hey guys, a little update -

I just got an email from ImagineFX magazine and they are interested in doing an article on the raygun building process.
Wierd thing is that this project has hardly anything to do with digital art (the magazine revolves around digital art), aside from the concept design.

Ill keep you guys posted if the article gets the final green light.

DS

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back