Restoring the "Zombie Tauntaun" - completed! See 11-18 post!

TomSpinaDesigns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

This week, we started a new series on our Facebook page. We'll be showing a behind the scenes look at our work restoring an original Tauntaun face prop used in the Empire Strikes Back.

I first heard of this piece over 10 years ago, when it was on display at a Planet Hollywood. (We'll be posting some vintage pics of it too). It was already in rough condition, and I wished I could do something for it. At the time I had no idea that some day that very piece would be in our studio, being carefully brought back to life.

We dubbed this the Zombie Tauntaun, based on its appearance on arrival. Mike Thomas, my right hand man at the studio, has been working on this for a few weeks now, and we've got some great photo updates to come.

I hope you enjoy the pics to come... see you on Facebook!
Tom

Want to see what happens? Click the Zombie Tauntaun and Follow us on Facebook!

Last edited:
Re: Restoring the "Zombie Tauntaun" - watch the progress!

Wow! You have your work cut out for you on this one!

holy crap. That does look like a lot of work. Restoration has its greatest rewards when complete though. :)

Please post pictures here too for those of us who don´t have a facebook account!
Great project!

I'll be watching this thread with great interest! ;)

I thought you might be... Rob's the one who sent me the pics of this prop in Planet Hollywood all those years ago!

I posted Rob's pics in today's update. Even back then, the tauny needed some TLC!

Tom

Thanks Tom for posting the link but unfortunatly i still can´t see the page. :cry
I have no idea why but it might be not visible for european people???

Subscribed and like the page on FB. Looking forward to seeing progress on a great piece. :thumbsup

Thanks Tom for posting the link but unfortunatly i still can´t see the page. :cry
I have no idea why but it might be not visible for european people???

Very odd! I double checked our settings and we should be visible to all. Maybe it's a country thing?

Rest assured, we'll be posting a nice update on our site for this as well... and I'll happily post some of the progress and BTS pics here on the RPF too when the time comes.

best,
Tom

Good luck with this project.

No doubt that this prop will have a new glory!!!

Very odd! I double checked our settings and we should be visible to all. Maybe it's a country thing?

I found it´s due to my cookie settings, i tried your link in a different browser and it works just fine!
Thanks Tom, my fault! :$

Hey Tom, it's looking great! Thanks for the updates, I can't wait to see it completed! :thumbsup

Thanks guys... keep watching. The Tauntaun is getting closer to done. Lots of other fun projects being posted soon too, of course :)

Tom

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back