Resin in Unconventional Mold and how to keep it from

Plokman

Hey all,
Ok I am a week away from Comiccon Cape so if your in Missouri next Saturday you may run into me. Anyway I am working to finish my first wand by then to show a mentor, all I have left to do is make the Handle and carve a couple fine details into the Wand blade. I am working on the mold for the handle's blank but I have run out of Silicone so I am putting my new Holesaws to good use and making a cylindric mold with spare wood bits, this I know is not a smart idea since Wood is ver likely to stick and or suck up the resin and I plan to give the stuff a base coat of PVA, Mod Pdge gloss and some spray paint but I know that may not be enough.

So I thought I would ask you guys what would you use as a mold release in this kind of situation? Would Cornstarch help if I powdered the inside? (No worry the handle is whit with hints of yellow and rusty red as it is faux Ivory) Petroleum Jelly I know works for Molds themselves, but would that help keep the resin out of the wood pores too? I hope to find some cool stuff at Comiccon Cape maybe even a figurine or two as I collect those I have always liked collecting two things, Old Skeleton Keys and Plastic Figurines like those from the Book series "The Indian and The Cupboard".

Anyway help is always appreciated. Stay safe no matter what you celebrate.

Use a paper towel tube. tape the out side with packing tape and hot glue to to a piece of plastic or thin wood. It will survive the filling and hardening . You just nee to center your part to be incapsulated.

Use a paper towel tube. tape the out side with packing tape and hot glue to to a piece of plastic or thin wood. It will survive the filling and hardening . You just nee to center your part to be incapsulated.
Well the only thing encapsulated in the plan is some white, yellow and a pinch of rust to give the resin that cream color Aged Ivory has with the redish tint it can get due to it being a tooth and a aged tooth starts to get red streaks in it thanks to the inner parts having carried blood. But you have a great idea there, the parts I drilled out already can serve as the secondary shape holder with a seam of hot glue being the main. It'll save me some time even though I will be using my holesaws on other parts of future projects, not to mention I will need to seat the core of the wand and attach the blade with the next step down.

Thank you very much.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back