Researching for first Light Saber

RustyS85

I am doing some research for making my first purchase for a light saber. So far I looked at Obsidian Sabers and I was not too crazy about their hilt designs. I then looked at Saber Forge and found three hilts that I liked.

So far I was originally planning on purchasing just a Warrior level saber that had lighting but no sound. Then I decided to upgrade to the Champion level that has lights and sounds. Then I realized for roughly $100 more I could get the Hero level which has more features including a dual color blade that will switch both colors on when clash happens.

Thing is though I honestly cant justify $404 for the Hero level of the Consular hilt that I was looking at. So I am asking here if I were to purchase the Warrior level with lights how much would a sound board cost? Like wise how much work would it be to fit one?

I am honestly trying to keep the costs down as much as possible by doing as much as possible myself. If I can purchase the saber for $149 with 12w LED and quick disconnects and install my own sound board for less than $295 then I would go that route.

Like wise what kind of work could one expect if they just purchased an empty hilt and built one themselves?

I want to make sure I have as much information as possible before I pull the trigger on making a purchase especially if I can save some money by doing some of the work myself. It would also allow me to purchase some of the more expensive empty hilt and possibly come out cheaper cost wise.

So far to ensure I get the most accurate recommenations the three saber hilts I like that I am looking at purchasing is the Acolyte, the Consular, and the Prodigal Son.

If anyone can provide any advice or help someone out that is new to sabers both building them as well as purchasing a prebuilt one I would greatly appreciate it.

I am up to page 5 reading. This comment is how I feel at the moment right now ad not how I might feel after I finish reading the whole thread. I will update with a follow up post when I finished reading.

Now, I feel this is to inform me what a ass he is. While that is a good thing to know like wise to know about the shoddy business practice of slow shipping and lack of email responses to emails seeking information on when they will get their saber. I read all about this on Saber Forces forums themselves of people talking about this. I haven't heard anything bad on the forums about the final result. I did find a little about it on another forum and on here about sharp edges and switches popping out.

Now does that change my view point on the purchases I am looking at? No it does not. The reason it does not is because of what I am wanting to do. First off I have yet to find another saber producer offering a hilt design that I actually liked. I even went to Force Relics and all I see is just one design and they have nothing in stock in the store page. I assume everything is made to order as well as the design if there are more designs that are not being shown in the store page. Then Obsidian Sabers had a good selection but I was not impressed with the look of the hilts. So as of now I have two designs in the Apprentice class that I like that I can get a empty saber for $49 or one with 12w lights and quick disconnects for $149. Till I am able to find a hilt design I like and for a reasonable price to me I will go with the cheapest product that meets my requirements.

Lets face it I am wanting to build or by a collectible that will spend 99% of its life sitting on my desk. I cant justify sending $500+ for a dueling saber when I wont even duel it. It is a waste of money and if what I read is true and the other gentleman was selling saber for $1500 and up, I don't even think I want to waste time looking for other places that build sabers if I have to look forward to over priced products.

If you're comfortable giving your money to support someone with such low morals, go for it. As long as you get what you want, that's all that matters right?

If you can't find a hilt design you want for cheap, I would recommend building your own custom saber. Check out The Custom Saber Shop, they have great parts and a full custom lightsaber complete with sound can be under $300... I'm probably going to build my own soon from parts of theirs :D

If you're comfortable giving your money to support someone with such low morals, go for it. As long as you get what you want, that's all that matters right?

Well can you show me a saber company selling a design I like in my price range? That is how businesses thrive. If you can provide a product or a service that people want for less than anyone else people will flock to them.

I could care less about his morals, I am not purchasing his morals I am purchasing a saber that I like the design of the hilt as well as the price. Can you show me a similar saber hilt for a similar price?

If I am going to be "bullied" over a choice like this then what are my options either purchase from this business or just deactivate my account here as I refuse to drop $400+ on a novelty saber. That is just how it is, I could spend this money on something way more valuable than a chunk of metal that is carved into a light saber. I hate to say this as I am a huge Star Wars fan but the truth is I am walking that fine line of being a saber owner and not being one.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't find a hilt design you want for cheap, I would recommend building your own custom saber. Check out The Custom Saber Shop, they have great parts and a full custom lightsaber complete with sound can be under $300... I'm probably going to build my own soon from parts of theirs :D

That is what I planned on doing. I was thinking of just purchasing a empty hilt or a hilt with lights to keep cost down and build it myself. I just never did a saber build and that was why this post was made was what goes into building a saber.

If I can keep my costs down I would gladly build my own vs spending more for a prebuilt product. Thing is though I like the Consular hilt the most with the windows cut into the end. If I could find something similar like this from someone else for roughly the same price I would gladly purchase from someone else.

Well can you show me a saber company selling a design I like in my price range? That is how businesses thrive. If you can provide a product or a service that people want for less than anyone else people will flock to them.

I could care less about his morals, I am not purchasing his morals I am purchasing a saber that I like the design of the hilt as well as the price. Can you show me a similar saber hilt for a similar price?

If I am going to be "bullied" over a choice like this then what are my options either purchase from this business or just deactivate my account here as I refuse to drop $400+ on a novelty saber. That is just how it is, I could spend this money on something way more valuable than a chunk of metal that is carved into a light saber. I hate to say this as I am a huge Star Wars fan but the truth is I am walking that fine line of being a saber owner and not being one.

- - - Updated - - -

That is what I planned on doing. I was thinking of just purchasing a empty hilt or a hilt with lights to keep cost down and build it myself. I just never did a saber build and that was why this post was made was what goes into building a saber.

If I can keep my costs down I would gladly build my own vs spending more for a prebuilt product. Thing is though I like the Consular hilt the most with the windows cut into the end. If I could find something similar like this from someone else for roughly the same price I would gladly purchase from someone else.

The Custom Saber Shop has that exact same emitter/blade holder for sale, I would definitely recommend using their MHS Builder that they have to come up with a design.

You could try to contact the guy that actually designed the saber. Usually the real designers of stolen intellectual property don't charge very much for their work. I understand you are feeling the brunt of this when you are only trying to pick up a saber, but it really is about someone's heart and sweat put into something that someone else swipes and undercuts the real artist. This is why it is hard to find support for that here. We are all Star Wars fans, and we all love sabers (and blasters), but honestly, how can you willingly support a thief?

As one Star Wars fan to another, if it is between you helping grease the wheels of a thief's empire or you not getting a saber on the cheap, I'm going to have to go with you having nothing on your belt hanger. It's nothing against you, it's everything against them.

RustyS85, I know how you feel in regards to the prices. I too felt that way when I first joined the custom saber hobby. After being in it for a few years, I changed my tune. You will find that $1000 to $2000 is what a lot of good sabers with a full electronics package cost (though you can often find ones for around $500). This is the norm, not the exception. The exceptions are companies like Park Sabers, Saber Forge and Ultra Sabers. What these saber manufacturers do that the others don't, is mass produce sabers and saber parts using CNC equipment. Saber Forge, Ultra Sabers, and Park Sabers, outsource all the machine work to China. Most of the other sabersmiths are working out of their garage and make one-offs or do small runs of the same saber. If these runs involve CNC work, electronics and are done in the U.S. instead of China, they can cost quite a bit. The one-offs made in the garage on a non-CNC lathe and mill, with electronics can also cost quite a bit as there is much labor involved. Anywho, I'm just letting you know why the prices are they way they are. Mass produced stuff in China with serious quality control issues and poor customer service = cheap to affordable. One-offs and small runs done in the U.S. = affordable to very expensive. Empty hilts and separate electronics will ALWAYS be much cheaper than getting a hilt with all the electronics pre-installed.

As for purchasing the electronics separately and installing them yourself, there are forums that have tons of threads on how to do this. Those forums being Imperial Royal Arms, The Custom Saber Shop Forum and the FX-Sabers Forum. My recommendation is to read as much as you can. The various threads will teach you everything to need to know. Naigon's Electronics Creations has some very excellent sound boards. The Custom Saber Shop forum is linked to a store that sells a few different sound boards in different price ranges. Plecter Labs over in France has the same ones that The custom Saber Shop has as well as the Crystal Focus sound board (not available at TCSS). They also have just about every piece of electronics you could want for a saber install. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
The Custom Saber Shop has that exact same emitter/blade holder for sale, I would definitely recommend using their MHS Builder that they have to come up with a design.

I found The Custom Saber Shop but I don't see any MHS Builder. I assume this is some kind of builder program to help you select parts to make building easy correct?

You could try to contact the guy that actually designed the saber. Usually the real designers of stolen intellectual property don't charge very much for their work. I understand you are feeling the brunt of this when you are only trying to pick up a saber, but it really is about someone's heart and sweat put into something that someone else swipes and undercuts the real artist. This is why it is hard to find support for that here. We are all Star Wars fans, and we all love sabers (and blasters), but honestly, how can you willingly support a thief?

As one Star Wars fan to another, if it is between you helping grease the wheels of a thief's empire or you not getting a saber on the cheap, I'm going to have to go with you having nothing on your belt hanger. It's nothing against you, it's everything against them.

I would have to figure out who originally designed the Consular and contact them. Unless I can get some more information out of this MHS Builder that I cant find on CSS`s site I might just design my own by piecing one together. Rather do that than do business with this company, but I know all too well some times you have to do business with who has what you want. I do business with MAC's even though I have had problems with them sending incorrect parts or parts getting damaged in shipping but I still do business with them because they carry some parts that no one else carries so I am forced to make the purchase. I guess that is why I am not as troubled over making a purchase from him for the hilt I like the look of.

RustyS85, I know how you feel in regards to the prices. I too felt that way when I first joined the custom saber hobby. After being in it for a few years, I changed my tune. You will find that $1000 to $2000 is what a lot of good sabers with a full electronics package cost (though you can often find ones for around $500). This is the norm, not the exception. The exceptions are companies like Park Sabers, Saber Forge and Ultra Sabers. What these saber manufacturers do that the others don't, is mass produce sabers and saber parts using CNC equipment. Saber Forge, Ultra Sabers, and Park Sabers, outsource all the machine work to China. Most of the other sabersmiths are working out of their garage and make one-offs or do small runs of the same saber. If these runs involve CNC work, electronics and are done in the U.S. instead of China, they can cost quite a bit. The one-offs made in the garage on a non-CNC lathe and mill, with electronics can also cost quite a bit as there is much labor involved. Anywho, I'm just letting you know why the prices are they way they are. Mass produced stuff in China with serious quality control issues and poor customer service = cheap to affordable. One-offs and small runs done in the U.S. = affordable to very expensive. Empty hilts and separate electronics will ALWAYS be much cheaper than getting a hilt with all the electronics pre-installed.

As for purchasing the electronics separately and installing them yourself, there are forums that have tons of threads on how to do this. Those forums being Imperial Royal Arms, The Custom Saber Shop Forum and the FX-Sabers Forum. My recommendation is to read as much as you can. The various threads will teach you everything to need to know. Naigon's Electronics Creations has some very excellent sound boards. The Custom Saber Shop forum is linked to a store that sells a few different sound boards in different price ranges. Plecter Labs over in France has the same ones that The custom Saber Shop has as well as the Crystal Focus sound board (not available at TCSS). They also have just about every piece of electronics you could want for a saber install. I hope that helps.

I have no problem with building one myself, in my field of work I do all kinds of jobs from machine work down to electrical down to customization. My biggest problem is I really don't need sound it is something I would like to have in mine but I could get away with just lights as the saber I want is more of a display. I just want sound as well cause it completes the package.

Building a saber with lights but without sound is easier and cheaper. Again, all those forums and the TCSS store will have what you need. Best of luck with your build.

Also, I was cutting and pasting some of my sentences in my last post and messed up a bit. The part that states "They also have just about every piece of electronics you could want for a saber install." is meant to refer to TCSS, not Plecter Labs.

Also, I hope I didn't come off as an ass. That is not my intention at all. I do hope you are able to get a saber that you like.

Thanks I found it about 2 minutes ago and have been playing with it, got a very close look to the Consular I was looking at in the design but I think it is more appealing to me now than in the hilt I would have got.

So far the parts I have are as follows.

Main Body : 7" Fluted with Standard Switch Hole
Extension : MHS Style Choke 3" Length
Blade Holder : LED Blade Holder Style 9
Pommel : MPS Style 4

I do not know what kind of cost I am looking at so far just for those pieces but I am looking at all the other extensions to see if I can find something that would look better to me.

Building a saber with lights but without sound is easier and cheaper. Again, all those forums and the TCSS store will have what you need. Best of luck with your build.

Also, I was cutting and pasting some of my sentences in my last post and messed up a bit. The part that states "They also have just about every piece of electronics you could want for a saber install." is meant to refer to TCSS, not Plecter Labs.

Ok I will check them out as well. Thanks for the information I do want to add sound, if I can pull cars apart and put them back together as well as diagnosis I don't think doing audio modules would be much harder for me. Just take my time and I can get it done. I just don't want to end up with something that has more in it than an AR15 build.

Also, I hope I didn't come off as an ass. That is not my intention at all. I do hope you are able to get a saber that you like.

You didn't, I know a lot of people dislike Saber Force for the way how the business is runned. I just didn't know there was a place such as CSS where you can piece together digitally a saber and see what it looks like to help you out. If I had known this I would have been ordering parts already instead of doing all this reading.

Is there any rule of thumb for the length of the hilt?

I ask cause I have been playing around in the builder and I am at 16 3/4". I got to that by throwing in a double male with slots extension #2 between the Ribbed Grooved Choke combo extension and the blade holder style 9.

I like the idea of having a windowed chamber below the blade holder with windows but probably be too hard to implement since the internal view shows the LED module is on the blade holder so not sure how would illuminate that extension.

Dude, as a nubie I decided to convert an MR to luxeon as an initial build. Now I'm on three luke ANHs and fighting getting hooked. Just choose whatever lightsaber scratches that itch and convert it yourself... That'll take you there.

I thought of doing that as I really liked the Consular look from Saber Force. But I don't like how long they take to fill orders or the lack of communication. Since I found out abut CSS I have been able to in a short time piece together something that looks fairly close t the Consular but in my opinion looks even better. Down side is it says everything so far I checked is out of stock. Just my luck.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back