Researching for first Light Saber

Sorry to hear TCSS is out of stock on what you need. Tim, the owner of TCSS is in the middle of a move. He's moving from Washington state to Idaho and will be expanding his business after the move. This may affect items being in stock and shipping times until his move is complete. From what I hear, he has a CNC but also outsources some of the CNC work. If he likes to outsource locally, he will have to source a new machine shop and work out stuff with them.

I would say that on average a custom saber hilt designed to be held with two hands is around 12" long and a saber-staff around 20" but it's really about what you like visually and what's comfortable to you when wielding it.

Sorry to hear TCSS is out of stock on what you need. Tim, the owner of TCSS is in the middle of a move. He's moving from Washington state to Idaho and will be expanding his business after the move. This may affect items being in stock and shipping times until his move is complete. From what I hear, he has a CNC but also outsources some of the CNC work. If he likes to outsource locally, he will have to source a new machine shop and work out stuff with them.

I would say that on average a custom saber hilt designed to be held with two hands is around 12" long and a saber-staff around 20" but it's really about what you like visually and what's comfortable to you when wielding it.

That might be why lot of things are out of stock, probably wont restock them till after the move. No big deal if I purchased what I had planned on it would have taken three weeks easily min to get it shipped out.

That is what I was wondering, cause I didn't want something too long that couldn't be used one handed but I also didn't want one that was too short to be used two handed. My initial combination has the total length without blade to be 14". I then did another build with an extra spacer and adapter to have a windowed spacer after the ribbed groved choke combo extension and the blade holder. That pushed 16 3/4" length. For some reason that just seemed to be too long when considering the blade for it would be the more common 37" blade. But it is only 2 3/4" longer than the set up I have as of now.

ARKM is more patient than I am. The only point to my post was to enlighten you to some of the stuff that goes on in the hobby and to help you make an informed decision for you. I always tell people to make an informed decision for themselves and to research before they jump in. To be honest, all of your questions in your original post could have been answered by doing a search on the board, or honestly a simple search on the old interwebs would have turned up some great reviews for you in both written and video format. I didn't have to post, I could have remained silent and let you find out for yourself, maybe I will next time.

Good Luck. Sorry for making trying to help you out

Dave

ARKM is more patient than I am. The only point to my post was to enlighten you to some of the stuff that goes on in the hobby and to help you make an informed decision for you. I always tell people to make an informed decision for themselves and to research before they jump in. To be honest, all of your questions in your original post could have been answered by doing a search on the board, or honestly a simple search on the old interwebs would have turned up some great reviews for you in both written and video format. I didn't have to post, I could have remained silent and let you find out for yourself, maybe I will next time.

Good Luck. Sorry for making trying to help you out

Dave

No offense but your post while it was valuable did not really answer any of my questions as posed in my original post. I asked specific questions and you sent me to a link that was full of drama going back and forth that had no true bearing on my questions mainly about building from scratch using an empty hilt. Sure my response to your post might be taken the wrong way but I responded in the best way I could and I meant no bad by it. When that post was made as far as I had known there were just a couple places to get saber hilts. I did search as best as I could on the internet but some times searching doesn't bring up what you are looking for if you do not know how to search for said information. As I said in my original post I am new to this I don't know nothing about building one or suppliers, when I did a search the three hits I had was Saber Force, Ultra Sabers, and the Darkside saber company. Out of those three the one that fit my budget the best was Saber Force, I know a lot of people have a strong opinion and feeling about said company but in my eyes I was forced to use them till I was pointed to CSS which is where I will be piecing together my own and not even use Saber Force.

I also knew what a bad company SaberForce was, I already knew about people not getting what they ordered, the long time for it to arrive, the sharp edges that are cutting hands etc. I knew about this but it was something that I was going to at the time to deal with just to obtain a hilt so I could build mainly a display model on a budget.

I am sorry if you took my post as an attack it wasn't ment to be just me explaining how I felt about the company and how I felt I had no choice at the time as my searching was bringing up sabers that were way to much money in my opinion let alone they didn't look that great to me either.

I didn't take your post as a attack, but more of a ungrateful tone. I wasn't, and won't, come in here and bash one company and tell you to buy from another. That right there is for you to decide on your own. All I did was give you a link to some background and research reading to do. If you honestly don't have a problem with anything that has transpired, then by all means order away, but again you have to make your own mind up on what is acceptable to you. My personal feelings or agenda mean nothing, you needed to hear and read the opinions of the majority out there and then make up your mind. Yes, that thread is full of drama, that is what you saw, however it is also full of valuable information both good and bad. If you choose to see drama over information then that is on you.

As I said before, good luck.

Dave

I didn't take your post as a attack, but more of a ungrateful tone. I wasn't, and won't, come in here and bash one company and tell you to buy from another. That right there is for you to decide on your own. All I did was give you a link to some background and research reading to do. If you honestly don't have a problem with anything that has transpired, then by all means order away, but again you have to make your own mind up on what is acceptable to you. My personal feelings or agenda mean nothing, you needed to hear and read the opinions of the majority out there and then make up your mind. Yes, that thread is full of drama, that is what you saw, however it is also full of valuable information both good and bad. If you choose to see drama over information then that is on you.

As I said before, good luck.

Dave

I saw what you wanted me to take from reading that forum. Now that I know I can build my own saber by obtaining a hilt for a decent price that is of high quality I have already wrote Saber Force off. Sure I could get theirs for $45 vs the $103 with the heat sink option on the blade holder. Difference is his from what I have read is milled for one piece which will make it harder to do the wiring on the internals vs the one I can build for $103 which threads together and allows me to change the shape of my saber at a later date if I don't exactly like the extension I have picked out first.

I am sorry if it came off as an ungrateful tone. I was very greatful for the link. I just wasn't sure how to take it at first as it seemed at the time lots of people hated the guy and I will admit it did come off a little to me like my decision was being guided at first based off brand over what I was wanting to do. I will gladly avoid a company if I can get the same or a better product for a decent fair price. $103 for a complete hilt that is threaded and is multi piece is not a bad deal in my book compared to $45 for a one piece design that has sharp edges and shoddy wiring on the insides which I think is because of the one piece design making it harder to install the guts properly.

I am very greatful that I came here and made a post here as I was able to be told about CSS which I didn't even know about and now I have what I think will be a saber I would be more proud of than the Consular model for $49 from Saber force.

Hey there! I build a custom saber from scratch about two years ago (functional but i'm still not happy with the design yet :p). I was using one of plecter labs saber core modules in the ls variant. Depending on what you want to accomplish, plecter offers boards for light and sound which are extremely well documented and customisable. I run my board with a two cell liion accu pack at 7.4V which is pretty sufficient. Only thing is that the plectrr modules are produced in batches and are really requested. So you'd have to be quick to get one.

Cheers

OK so I'm going to revive a dead post, because there's a concept that's just not clicking for me. If I convert an MR to a Luxeon blade, does that mean I can make the blade removable? I have one of the MR ANH Kenobi sabers, and it'd make it a lot easier to display if I could take the blade off.

OK so I'm going to revive a dead post, because there's a concept that's just not clicking for me. If I convert an MR to a Luxeon blade, does that mean I can make the blade removable? I have one of the MR ANH Kenobi sabers, and it'd make it a lot easier to display if I could take the blade off.

Yep. That will make the blade removable.

About 1 foot is pretty standard.
Yeah...I'd say anywhere between 10" and 12"...that's typically the range I go for with mine builds. Does depend somewhat on the size of the person for whom it is built and the design aesthetic. Something with fins/prongs/blades around the emitter (think Exar Kun) would be a little longer.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back