Research Thread - ROTJ R2-D2 Tray

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm in the process of creating a new blueprint for the infamous tray seen on R2-D2 from Return of the Jedi.

The original prop was never found in the archives and was presumed destroyed during filming.

I've already posted at the R2builders board, so I thought I would try a post here.

If you have a good reference photo, please post it or email it to me here:

vmsanchez@advancedelectronics.com

Below are some creen caps:

tray4vic-1.jpg

tray4vic-2.jpg

tray4vic-3.jpg

ROTJ%20R2D2%20Tray4.jpg

Reference:
Tray.jpg

If you've got some photos of it, please post them.

I found some photos of a fan-made version. I'll try posting them tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my research has come up with some missing details on the fan made version....amongst other things. :(

Vince,

Did you see mine at C3? I have complete CAD files of it. I helped Andy (A&A) with his design. Ours are different but similiar. I did quite a bit of research on it and found a really good shot of the cup holder (almost square on) in the SW DVD galleries section.

Here's mine:

It's MDF and Sculpey, bronze paint and Rub N' Buff

Heath

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

Thanks WC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 11 2006, 12:34 AM) [snapback]1242272[/snapback]</div>
Wow....fantastic work. :thumbsup
[/b]

Thanks.

Besides R2, it's my only other prop. It could be better but It was intended only as a display for C3. Sadly it broke since then but could be repaired. George Lucas even commented on it during his tour of the R2 Builders Room. Something about not having seen one in a long time.

Vince, if you like I can dig up all my reference and files for you.

Heath

I also have the A&A version, with the 3-leg modification.

Here's a pic of it (only has first coat of paint and bondo - needs more sanding and paint).

4.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(TK-326 @ Jul 3 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]1273091[/snapback]</div>
I also have the A&A version, with the 3-leg modification.

Here's a pic of it (only has first coat of paint and bondo - needs more sanding and paint).

4.jpg

[/b]

So far about 50 people have bought the A&A version (thats Alex and me). Mine was at DragonCon as well and its pictured in the new Bantha Tracks.

Andy

all i can say is i got to see one in action this summer at adventurecon.

chris had his on his R2 runnin around and i said to him, yeah it would be cool if you could actually have drinks on it...

so he grabs a pepsi can (with a little still in it. :confused ) sits it on it and R2 takes off, he juked and jived the little astromech all over the convention floor, and it took ALOT before the thing fell off... :confused

that and it absolutely looked the part, a very well made piece that isnt just accurate or neat to look at... its borderline functional.

a deffinate must have for those out there with completed R2s. :thumbsup :thumbsup

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back