Replicating a 1/12 Scale Iron Man Hall of Armor Display

Re: Replicating a 1/10 Scale Iron Man Hall of Armor Display

You're not going to see that part anyways?

If you look straight on at the display you will not see the exposed sides but in my case it’s going to be the first thing you see.

As I said, I’m going to have 2 banks of 4-5 bays that are perpendicular to each other

The first thing you will see is the unfinished side.

Here is a picture of where mine will sit:

But forgetting all of that, I’m amazed that Diamond got away with this. I can understand variations in the sculpt and production paint jobs that are not as nice as the hand painted prototypes but when a piece is completely different that should be a problem that gets corrected.

Even the images on the packaging show solid sides.

I have a feeling you'll be better off making a Hall of Armor from scratch. You might be disappointed with the Marvel Select bases now, but you're going to be even more disappointed when you get the Revoltech figures. The Revoltech's are, as you said, 6 inches tall, which makes them 1/12 scale, so the Marvel Select bases are probably going to end up looking too big. I recommend seeing what you can mock up with cardboard, styrene, and insulation foam before making any further investments.

Actually I think the Revoltech Figures will look fine in the Marvel Select Bases.

The 7” Marvel Select Figures look toooo big for their own HOA display base, especially since the head sits above the top of the wall.

However, a 6” figure will probably look right. I will know soon enough since I have 2 more bases and most of the Revoltech figures coming

ANYWAY

I spent about an hour in my shop cutting the left and right side so they would be thinner and then I hand lapped them until they were flat enough to glue together which created a wall that will work for the left, right or center wall of a bay unit.

I compared these walls to the real thing and the distance above and below the light is smaller then the Marvel Select Walls. I also think this display might be about 3/4” too tall for a 6” figure.

To fix both of these issues I will cut about 1/4” off the top edge and a 1/2” off the bottom

I know there are still exposed holes on the outside but I’ll cover them up with some model parts and it should look fine.

I was going to have this wall cast in resin or 3D printed but it might be cheaper to just repeat this process 10 more times

Last edited:

Pretty much what I mentioned earlier... At this point I would mold the wall, and the base, then cast the number you need and you should be set.

Pretty much what I mentioned earlier... At this point I would mold the wall, and the base, then cast the number you need and you should be set.

If I buy figures and modify the bases it will cost me about 1 hour of labor and $20 per bay

Do you think this could be molded and cast for less then that?

Last edited:

It's a small piece, so it won't require much silicone. You can get a gallon kit of resin for under $100

I can work with metal and wood but I can't work with resin, I have tried it in the past and the results were horrible.

I've done the math and think the least expensive way t do this is to buy the figures and modify the walls to make them solid.

It's going to cost me about $20 per bay and I don't think I could hire anyone for less then that.

Seriously, if you bought a prop from me there was that much difference in the final product you would be fine with just fixing it?

I usually WAIT and see how the REAL products looks before buying something....Remember Mattels Hoverboard?....yeah, that really looked like the screenused one.

When they show prototype pictures they are just showing a thing that is professionally airbrushed and built by talented artists that has spent HOUR on just that one thing....The thing you get from the stores are built on a conveyor belt by people that builds several hundred of them an hour.

I guess you haven't read all of this thread.

EVERY web site that sells these use pictures that do not show the out side of the walls

The package itself has the prototype pictures on it and the walls are packed in a way that you can not see the out side of the wall.

PLUS I don't have any stores around me that sell toys like this so I have to buy it online and hope for the best.

I guess you haven't read all of this thread.

EVERY web site that sells these use pictures that do not show the out side of the walls

The package itself has the prototype pictures on it and the walls are packed in a way that you can not see the out side of the wall.

PLUS I don't have any stores around me that sell toys like this so I have to buy it online and hope for the best.

I mean that I wait until someone else Buy one and post pictures on the net.....Like you did :) Im pretty sure there is forums about these toys.

^^^

+1

Me too, The Big Bad Toy Store's been really good with posting video reviews of new products (done by them independently). It's not much help on a preorder item of course, but I go looking there first on a lot of 'toys' to check the quality and finish.

I just picked up an mark 42 last night.

Now I just need the Mark 4 and War Machine

I have been looking at various images of the movie and Side Show Halls and I think I'm sure I will have to cut down the side walls.

SIDE SHOW

Last edited:
I did some measuring and determined that I can not fit as many bays as I wanted in a single layer.

It looks like I will have to use a 2 layer approach, which may be required anyway, especially if they release Armors from the House Party

Here is how I plan to lay it out for now.

I received my Revoltech Mark 2, 3 and 6 and my Marvel legends Iron Patriot

I am pleased with them and they are better then I expected but I will need to install foot pegs in the floor pads to keep them stable.

I’m a little bummed that the ML Iron Patriot is taller then the others but it will have to do for now.

Once I had the figures I set them in my prototype HOA and determined that the sides and back would have to be cut down and the floor pad would have to be cut out of the floor panel.

I will make a continuous floor and top that will unify the bays once it is all put together.

The sides will have to be filled with resin to make them stronger and give me a way to attach them to the floor and top.

Here is what I have so far:

I spent some time looking at the Hot Toys Die Cast line and after brief consideration I decided to go with the original 7 for my 1/12 scale HOA and I pre-ordered the 1/6 scale Mark 42, War Machine and Iron Patriot.

The 1/6 scale figures will be displayed slightly below and in front of my HOA

I received most of my Revoltech figures and Marvel Select display bases and did a quick set up to see how it looked

So far I like it a lot

The only figure I need for this display is the Mark 4 which I ordered last night.

I’ll probably modify 3 of the displays this weekend and make the support base and top which will give me a better idea of if the walls have to be cut down

IF the PI 1/12 diecast figures ever become easily available I might add a second level to my HOA and put the drones and a few of the House Party Armors on the bottom and the original 7 on top

Last edited:
I decided to use a simple system to secure the figures to the bases

I drilled a hole in each pad and inserted a short #4 screw.

It works perfectly:

If I have to cut down the walls I plan to reduce the floor panels to the center section pictured above. In that case I would not permanently attach the pads to the base, I would just set them in the bay which would make removing and replacing the action figure very easy.

I glued up one side of the display

I think the bays are just a little too tall. I’m going to replace the floor panel with a taller piece of wood and then use the center pad as figure base that is attached to the figure but removable so I can look at the figure and dust as required

I should have that done by tomorrow

This sounds like a cool (and fun) project - I should get my 3D printer next week (I hope) - and while I'm not familiar with modelling at all - you can use a Xbox Kinect as a 3d scanner with a simple cable (if bundled) and some software. I'm looking at getting that as well. I might be able to help out maybe.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back