Replica leather belts/holsters

4str0m3ch

I'm getting into leathercrafting, working on small personal projects at the moment, but at some point would like to make my own in-universe holster for a A-180 blaster. I have some questions about it though:
  1. What thickness leather is used?
  2. Is it fairly standard leather used across the props?
  3. Are the holster and belt usually the same thickness leather?
  4. Where did the hardware on the original OT/Solo/R1 props come from? Are they found items?

Leatherworking is really fun and offers a lot of possibilities for incredible design work. As a general rule the belts / gunbelts used in the films are made from vegetable tanned leather in thicknesses ranging from 6-7oz. weight to 8-9oz. They were likely dyed by hand too as it kept the cost down vs purchasing dye struck leather which is more expensive. The hardware varied from found parts and some, like Han Solo's gunbelt, were custom made for the production.

I've been doing leatherwork for about a year now. It's yet another hobby that is expensive. You're going to find yourself doing a lot of trial and error and a lot of experimentation to find what works best together. Different weights of leather will have different qualities that give different results. I've been working with sandwiching leather of different thicknesses recently as I'm working on recreating the Justified holster. A lot of the hardware is hidden between layers. I'm currently working on my third version, with minor tweaks to things I've noticed could be better.

Givens1.jpg

When you get started, expect to spend a lot just on the basic materials, such as cleaners, dyes, edge dressing, holes punch, rivets, snaps, hardware setter, and that’s not even the leather itself.

If you are also going to sew, then that’s a whole new set of problems. You have to have tools that set a thread groove so the threads are at/below the surface so the threads do not snag during wear, also tools to punch to mark and make the threading holes, threads, needles. Also, don’t expect to sew with one of those awl tools with the spool. Those are meant for quick mends. Real leather sewing for things like holsters and belts require you to use two needles working in opposite directions and often there is a device used to hold to the leather in place as you stitch.

I guess what I’m trying to tell you is talk to someone at a local leather store about the process and what it takes to de what you want. Make sure it is someth You want to invest in and take the time to learn the processes before you start dropping money on supplies.

Yeah, I should be OK with the learning aspect. There seems to be quite a lot of resource online. Unfortunately, I like in the UK and there is a lot less product available compared to the US. :(

When you get started, expect to spend a lot just on the basic materials, such as cleaners, dyes, edge dressing, holes punch, rivets, snaps, hardware setter, and that’s not even the leather itself.

If you are also going to sew, then that’s a whole new set of problems. You have to have tools that set a thread groove so the threads are at/below the surface so the threads do not snag during wear, also tools to punch to mark and make the threading holes, threads, needles. Also, don’t expect to sew with one of those awl tools with the spool. Those are meant for quick mends. Real leather sewing for things like holsters and belts require you to use two needles working in opposite directions and often there is a device used to hold to the leather in place as you stitch.

I guess what I’m trying to tell you is talk to someone at a local leather store about the process and what it takes to de what you want. Make sure it is someth You want to invest in and take the time to learn the processes before you start dropping money on supplies.

Thanks for all this. I have already started learning saddle stitches etc, and have a stitching pony. My biggest hurdle will be finding materials in the UK without getting ripped off. I guess we have a lot less dead animal skins floating around here...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back