Leia Boushh Prop Replica Helmet

Redwolf130

I came across this helmet and wanted to know your thoughts on it.

They are asking $2000 or 1,499 pounds.

I noticed the stitching on the back has 5 lines vs 6 and the leather is bunched up towards the back and bottom. I am guessing it is less accurate than the prop used in the movie?

Says it is a Sandman kit, assembled by Clothears and painted by RS Propmasters.

Is the price justified? What do the kits run? Assembly? Paint?

Any more information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (8).jpgs-l1600 (9).jpgs-l1600 (10).jpgs-l1600 (11).jpg

I noticed the stitching on the back has 5 lines vs 6 and the leather is bunched up towards the back and bottom. I am guessing it is less accurate than the prop used in the movie?

View attachment 1726945View attachment 1726946View attachment 1726947View attachment 1726948View attachment 1726949View attachment 1726950View attachment 1726951View attachment 1726952View attachment 1726953View attachment 1726954View attachment 1726955
I looked into these helmets a while back and while they’re super nice I don’t know if $2000 is a good price. The fact that the build goes Sandman>Clothears>RS Props just leads me to believe most of the original cost was inflated due shipping and maximum profitability between the three entities. That’s the cost of business, I respect that, and their product turned out phenomenal. But without knowing the original price (or if there is a light kit installed) it’s hard to say if $2000 is fair.

All that being said, in all honesty you could probably find a raw cast helmet and finish it yourself or pay someone finish it for less than $2000 usd. Unless you have money to burn you could save by spending a little time and try to have one commissioned. There are a ton of incredibly talented builders on these forums that would probably be able to do one from scratch or finish a kit for you.

I looked into these helmets a while back and while they’re super nice I don’t know if $2000 is a good price. The fact that the build goes Sandman>Clothears>RS Props just leads me to believe most of the original cost was inflated due shipping and maximum profitability between the three entities. That’s the cost of business, I respect that, and their product turned out phenomenal. But without knowing the original price (or if there is a light kit installed) it’s hard to say if $2000 is fair.

All that being said, in all honesty you could probably find a raw cast helmet and finish it yourself or pay someone finish it for less than $2000 usd. Unless you have money to burn you could save by spending a little time and try to have one commissioned. There are a ton of incredibly talented builders on these forums that would probably be able to do one from scratch or finish a kit for you.

Thank you for your insights and reply. There is a light kit on this, sorry I forgot to upload it. I was looking into the RS Propmasters one they put up for preorder a few months ago, but that was $2600 USD. I have tons of RS stuff and their products are great, but that was a bit of a stretch although it has some lineage (casted from a backup helmet).

If I recall correctly the Sandman kits were going for around $400? I don't see $2000 in that helmet especially with no lineage and the leather being off (5 rows of stitching vs 6 and the back of it being wrinkled/tucked in). Seems like they are trying to capture the hype of the RS helmet.

I know at the end of the day something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.

What would you/anyone say that helmet is worth considering everything listed?

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you for your insights and reply. There is a light kit on this, sorry I forgot to upload it. I was looking into the RS Propmasters one they put up for preorder a few months ago, but that was $2600 USD. I have tons of RS stuff and their products are great, but that was a bit of a stretch although it has some lineage (casted from a backup helmet).

If I recall correctly the Sandman kits were going for around $400? I don't see $2000 in that helmet especially with no lineage and the leather being off (5 rows of stitching vs 6 and the back of it being wrinkled/tucked in). Seems like they are trying to capture the hype of the RS helmet.

I know at the end of the day something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.

What would you/anyone say that helmet is worth considering everything listed?

View attachment 1726961
looks like Sandman is a member here. He hasn’t been on in a while but he has a pretty detailed post about his kit process. It originally sold for $350 usd and there’s a few build logs with pic that he has. I’d suggest checking it out.
I’ll get the link and post it here.

I came across that too somewhere on these threads. I just don't know how this person is asking 1500 GBP.

I thought maybe I am missing something?

Thank you for your diligence!
Might be trying to cash in on the old helmet to help pay for the new version.

It’s my pleasure, I plan on building one for myself once I finish my run of Tuskens and knock out an Axe Woves helmet for my personal collection. It’s always fun to dig into the details of builds, especially here, lots of great builders sharing their builds and tricks they picked up along the way.

View attachment 1726945View attachment 1726946View attachment 1726947View attachment 1726948View attachment 1726949View attachment 1726950View attachment 1726951View attachment 1726952View attachment 1726953View attachment 1726954View attachment 1726955
Like you said, its worth what someone will pay for it, so it just depends.

If they did go the route they say by sending it multiple places, then I understand trying to recoup costs. But as youre pointing out, this version is gonna be less accurate than the RS version. The Sandman kit is amazing and the one I happily own, but the RS one is lineage.

On the flip side, there aren't a lot of options for getting this helmet if you are looking to buy one outright that is well put together. Depending on the level of accuracy you want, Im sure you can try to get a Sandman one and commission someone to build/paint it for far less than the price you have here. Whether it turns out as nice is the big question though.

Redwolf130
$2000, in my opinion is a lot of scratch just for that helmet. I will say you got some heavy hitters - name wise for that helmet (Sandman, Clothears & RS Prop Masters), but does that necessarily warrant a high price tag? To someone, perhaps. Like most have said on here that it is worth what someone will pay for it. I also have that Sandman Helmet too (Helmet #299) that I purchased back in October of 2021 and got it in December of 2021 (for $300). It is a great little kit. I spoke with Sandman a couple weeks ago - He took a small break over the summer, but said he'd start to ramp up his Boushh helmet sales here in October once again. Here is the kit as I received it.
Sandman Helmet - All Pics.jpg

It took some work but I got it to look like this in the end....
Finished Helmet - Pics.jpg

I'm an amateur when it comes to painting. But I didn't think it was all that difficult to paint, which was done via airbrush. I spent an extra $100 on a leather kit from Facebook's "Boushh Build". Who specializes in painting of the Boushh Helmet and actually has some good tutorials on YouTube on how she paints the helmets up (She also sells various soft parts of the Boushh Costume)....
1695308638504.png

My objective for this helmet was to create the entire Boushh costume for my 11 year old daughter. And I was able to do the entire costume for $2204.00 (So only a little more for the full costume versus the $2000 that guy is wanting for his helmet) and I got it all done within 11 months. One of the cool and unique things I did to the helmet was to add in a metal antenna greeblie. It is a small part but I think makes it really pop on the helmet. With the Sandman Helmet the antenna greeblie is resin...
Sandman's Resin Part.jpg

Now I couldn't find one vendor that offered this part in metal anywhere! (and believed me I searched high and low) I then started looking for local machine shops that may be able to help. I found one local to me and brought in the resin piece to them. They said they had to draw it up by hand and then machine it out. After a week it was ready and results were amazing!
Size Comparison.jpg

When I was completely finished with the costume, my kid looked absolutely amazing!
Here is me in my ROTJ Boba Fett (Which I put together myself) and my kid at ECCC '23....
ECCC - Pic 21.jpg

And in June this year we made it out to the Washington State SummerCon!
1 - Boba and Boushh - Closeup.jpg

And even got to meet up with the awesome Giancarlo Esposito! (Pictured is me, my kid, my buddy in his Din Djarin and his wife)
SummerCon - 2023 - Giancarlo Esposito.JPG

It was also pretty cool that Giancarlo held my kids Thermal Detonator!

Cheers,
-Iron

Redwolf130
$2000, in my opinion is a lot of scratch just for that helmet. I will say you got some heavy hitters - name wise for that helmet (Sandman, Clothears & RS Prop Masters), but does that necessarily warrant a high price tag? To someone, perhaps. Like most have said on here that it is worth what someone will pay for it. I also have that Sandman Helmet too (Helmet #299) that I purchased back in October of 2021 and got it in December of 2021 (for $300). It is a great little kit. I spoke with Sandman a couple weeks ago - He took a small break over the summer, but said he'd start to ramp up his Boushh helmet sales here in October once again. Here is the kit as I received it.
View attachment 1741911

It took some work but I got it to look like this in the end....
View attachment 1741912

I'm an amateur when it comes to painting. But I didn't think it was all that difficult to paint, which was done via airbrush. I spent an extra $100 on a leather kit from Facebook's "Boushh Build". Who specializes in painting of the Boushh Helmet and actually has some good tutorials on YouTube on how she paints the helmets up (She also sells various soft parts of the Boushh Costume)....
View attachment 1741918

My objective for this helmet was to create the entire Boushh costume for my 11 year old daughter. And I was able to do the entire costume for $2204.00 (So only a little more for the full costume versus the $2000 that guy is wanting for his helmet) and I got it all done within 11 months. One of the cool and unique things I did to the helmet was to add in a metal antenna greeblie. It is a small part but I think makes it really pop on the helmet. With the Sandman Helmet the antenna greeblie is resin...
View attachment 1741920

Now I couldn't find one vendor that offered this part in metal anywhere! (and believed me I searched high and low) I then started looking for local machine shops that may be able to help. I found one local to me and brought in the resin piece to them. They said they had to draw it up by hand and then machine it out. After a week it was ready and results were amazing!
View attachment 1741921

When I was completely finished with the costume, my kid looked absolutely amazing!
Here is me in my ROTJ Boba Fett (Which I put together myself) and my kid at ECCC '23....
View attachment 1741922

And in June this year we made it out to the Washington State SummerCon!
View attachment 1741924

And even got to meet up with the awesome Giancarlo Esposito! (Pictured is me, my kid, my buddy in his Din Djarin and his wife)
View attachment 1741927
It was also pretty cool that Giancarlo held my kids Thermal Detonator!

Cheers,
-Iron

Badass man! Thank you for sharing. I passed on the helmet and waiting for another vendor to put one out.

Appreciate you taking the time.

Have a great week!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back