Repainting CT sonic in Oz... asking for advice on cracking and use of Derivan paints

theobeau

Hello there,

After serving the new-user probation period, I finally get a chance to start a new post so here goes...

Managed to get my hand on a Season 3-4 CT sonic screwdriver from a fellow RPFer who shared my interest in DW. He had already done a fair job of repainting the sonic to try and get a customised crackle look.

However as I intend in addition to displaying the sonic, to handle the device, including letting my young toddler DW-fan son play the Doctor vs the monsters :)darnkids), the paint job could stand with a re-do and protective finish.

I've read the posts from original manufacturer's blog about using Perfetto crackle to get a realistic, tough and durable cracked finish. However after some searching, I can't find seems to source product in Australia and the American supplier doesn't appear to ship to Australia. (please correct me if I am wrong about either of these two points).

Here in Oz, Derivan (The Finest Artist Acrylic Paints & Painting Mediums :: Derivan Pty Ltd) make a line of artist level paint products that include a water based cracking medium. Their website has fairly detailed instructions on the correct technique to achieve a cracked look. In summary it is polymer undercoat, acrylic colour coat, H20 based cracking medium, solvent based matt or gloss varnish.

I was planning to go down the Derivan path but wanted to check with the forum whether any members have had experience using their products to repaint sonic screwdrivers; how happy they were with the result (in terms of the both the cracked look and with durability/handling) and / or what alternative products should I consider ?

Thanks for reading my :)confused.... rather long) first thread and any advice proffered.

Cheers!

Re: Repainting CT sonic in Oz... asking for advice on cracking and use of Derivan pai

bump for our local time zone.....

Any responses appreciated!

Re: Repainting CT sonic in Oz... asking for advice on cracking and use of Derivan pai

I’m doing a custom Tennant sonic build at present and have been researching crackle paints. And why they do what they do, have been experimenting with different applications, but have been using PVA wood glue that works well but still have to perfect it, once I have got a final technique down I will post it on my sonic build for all to have a go at.

@Rassilon1,

Thanks for the reply. I've been (silently) following your thread about your custom sonic build with interest.

I may have come to a work around about the Perfetto crackle: am asking my Canadian relatives to see if they would be willing to receive and forward the crackle to Oz as one of the distributors ships to Canada.

Failing that not so sure....:rolleyes

Last edited:

crackle paint really is a pain - they should have used something that is easier to duplicate! :D Good luck with this mate! I'm sure you'll manage :)

they should have used something that is easier to duplicate! :D

LOL! Maybe that's why they did it in the first place. They must have known we were out there watching and scheming. :lol

Sourcing it is part of the problem as some of the above posters know too well.....

Fingers crossed my Canadian relatives agree to act as crackle mules!

Hi The Obeau,

Pretty sure the tutorial on CTs page links to a worldwide supplier as I was thinking of getting some myself. Instead I was lucky enough to pick up one of his limited run, top notch, A grade, super paint jobbies.

I had heard that the paint never comes off those things without explosives or a really, really big hammer and chisel or are those only the later builds?

@Greatwazoo42,
I think there is an entry in the blog that describes how a sonic survived a bus running over it with minimal damage. Explosives however.....

@Interface2037,
Unfortunately the distributors listed in the blog ship only to North America, hence my need of friends and family willing to export the stuff down under. For all that hassle, you'd think it was something much more exotic (and/or illicit) than just paint!

We both are looking to do crackle paint work, so my have to work to gether on this one, I would like to go the powder coated way.

However that is going to take some time to work out.

Opps Double post.

Last edited:

Here is what you want (you should have no trouble getting it shipped to you as it is not a spray can).

Paint effects, Easy to use water based antique ageing effects to create that weathered look.

Craquelure

CBS125 Craquelure Step 1 for Small Cracks - 125ml £ 6.50
CT125 Craquelure Step 2 - 125ml £ 7.00

First use a coat of etching primer, then go over it with black automotive primer (I used dupli-color but anything decent should work, if you beat it up a little it will show the black primer along the edges and really sells the effect). paint it with flat cream colored paint (I used the Valspar Crackle top coat because that was what was used on the Season 1 hero sonic and the the Aztec background Sonics, and it looks right but I think any cream color you could get locally would work fine).

put on the Craquelure according to the instructions that come with it. Once it dries thin out some black (or dark brown, after seeing both I would go with the brown) oil paint and scrub it on to highlight the cracks then wipe off the excess. (along with highlighting the cracks this gives it the dirty used look that Sonic has)

It is way easier to get the pattern you are looking for using this than the Crackle spray paint. From the looks of the finish this could be the stuff that was used on the Season 3 Hero Sonic.

That will pretty much nail the Season 3 Sonic finish and color for you. I did some tests on some scraps and it looks great but if you want to wait and see it on a Sonic before trying it I am doing a Season 3 as soon as I finish up my Season 1 version and I can post some pics.

If you have some stuff locally and it is inexpensive I would give it a try and see how it looks. It may look the same as some stuff that you would have to import at a higher cost. I have tried every crackle finish I could find and the Craquelure looks the closest to that Sonic so far.

Happy Sonic painting :lol:lol

Last edited:

Thanks Phez

Give your self a gold star.

Hello phez,

Thanks for the detailed description about the Craquelure product and the link.

One question I have relates to the robustness of the finished crackle paint job with Craquelure: does it allow you to handle the sonic on a regular basis or do you need to apply a varnish to preserve the crackle ? Ideally I would like to be able to the use the sonic when playing DW with my little toddler son.

The local Derivan product line, which I was planning to use if I can't source the Perfetto product, suggests you use a solvent based varnish to improve the robustness of the finished product

@Rassilon1: In case you don't already know about this product, the link follows:

Cracking techniques for artists || Derivan - The Finest Quality Artist Paints and Products.

Cheers!

Last edited:

does it allow you to handle the sonic on a regular basis or do you need to apply a varnish to preserve the crackle

Seems like it is about the same as Perfetto except the crack pattern looks better (I tried both). I am going to spray a clear coat over the top but I do not think you would need to unless you intend to beat the crap out of it. :lol

@phez,

Thanks for the reply. Might still do the extra exterior coat; never know how aggressive toddlers get!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back