refit aztech dummy pattern templates

Lynn TXP 0369

Sr Member
Well,
I got my PL refit Enterprise and Aztech Dummy pattern templates.

I know the instructions say to use dull coat and not to press the patterns down fully to ease in taking them back off later.

Does any one know here that have used them so far know anything else I need to know beofore I use them?

I plan on painting mine White fusion first, then go in with off white fusion for the Aztech pattern.

Thanks,
Lynn

i'm having a terrible time with them. they're just too sticky, and have pulled off all the paint. They do make very nice frisket templates though.. B)

As far as I've heard they are nice and make the job much easier, but I have heard about things like the aztech pattern being a bit wrong. It seems there are only 2 "prongs" on the "crown" part of the aztech shape instead of 3, the patterns themselves are not cut deep enough into the sheet, making removing them from the sheet a bit difficult, and they fit where they're supposed to "give or take". I've also heard they are too tacky and l recall one person said (edit: make that 2 people with hotshot's post above), removing them peeled the paint underneath.

Here's an article on Cult's site that may be of some use.

http://www.culttvman.com/bench_209__marc_king_s_refit_p.html

I'm not too concerned about acurracy, these templates were said to be made from one of the book drawings of the aztech patterns, so they may be different from the SS model.

I too have heard about them being too sticky and pulling off paint, I guess I could try the old sticking the tape to the pants trick several times to reduce the tackyness.

This trick is used with masking tape to reduce it's tackyness.

The dull coat is supposed to "help" reduce the stickyness because things tend to stick less on flat texured surfaces and stick like crazy on gloss or semi gloss surfaces becasue it is such a smooth surface.

Thanks,
Lynn

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back