Redesign Of A Laser Mine... --Paint Up Added

SMOKE

Hello Hunters,

My name is Quakevirus (aka SMOKE on the RPF). First thread here in the lair. Since I was a kid I always loved the Predator. I'm at the point in my life where I'm ready to start sloowy putting together a full pred suit and joining the brotherhood. I'm going to start out by making little things here and there while, I gather the cash for the big things(undermask, skin, etc..)

I plan on making as much as the suit I can from scratch as far as armor/weapons go. My first step towards this final goals is the laser trip mine.

I started off with the pep file from movieman .Thank You Movieman for making these files! The pep has sooo many small parts, I ended up just making the basic shape of the mine with the pep file, then carving the detail on the top of the mine.

After that I sculpted out a base with some sculpty, baked and this is where we are now.

I still have some work to do on this little guy. I couldn't find a whole bunch of reference pics. So I've been using the pep file as a rough guide and taking a few "artistic liberties" :)

what do ya'll think?

Still some detailing to do..
IMG_20111115_195911-1.jpg

Here's an update. I cleaned up the edges a bit and did a quick paint up to get an idea on where I'm at with this guy. Now I need to start thinking about a light for it. :)

All in all It's not exactly like the pepakura file, but still pretty cool looking.

IMG_20111116_012735-1.jpg

IMG_20111116_012753-1.jpg

thats pretty awesome. gunna throw led's in there or did u have something else in mind?. laser pointer would be awesome, but costly, and have fun trying to set it up

Thanks! I've been tossing the idea around with putting either a few lasers and/or led's in it. Laser's I can pick up a few at the dollar store in the pet section for pretty cheap. Same goes with leds. The wiring up one of these is gonna be a pain, but I can make it happen. I have 4 sitting next to me waiting for the drilling and wiring ;)

Here is something I was looking into getting for various lighting on computer gauntlet and other parts.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11007965

wow that is pretty good. great job. probably couldnt pull it off myself :D

I'm sure you can, the pep file is a pain cause of all the small parts. Hindsight, I should have sculpted it out of clay, would have been way easier.

AWESOME JOB.......thumbs up

Thanks again! (y)

well if ya get those pointer lasers hooked up and working would love to see some more pics/vid of that lol. that would be pretty sweet. best of luck :)

Thanks! and I've been thinking about the wiring and what I'm actually going to do with them. My thoughts on wiring the mines are: multiple lasers in this thing is most likely is not gonna happen. Just not enough room..atleast for my laser wiring skill. Not saying that someone cant do it. I think it's possible. A single laser is possible and what I would prefer to do. The color is nice and rich, and it would be lit by a laser, which I think would be awesome. I'm still undecided. I need to look into a single LED with on off switches and a small battery pack. I think radio shack might have one. After I get the lights rigged up, I want to put some rare earth magnets on them so I can stick them to the fridge or whatever else is metal. :) I messed around with how I'm going to spread the light around in them. next step is concentrate the light down the grooves. I'm going to add a tiny reflector inside and see if that helps.

Not pictures: I drilled out the groove areas on the arms and the met in the center of the mine. After that flipped it upside down and guesstimated (that word cleared spell check )the center and started drilling to meet up with the shafts(ya daaamn right).

Shined the laser underneath. Bad pics. Phone hates me at night. and yup that's a bandaide..sawed my hand :D
IMG_20111123_004105-1.jpg

In the dark
IMG_20111123_004020-1.jpg

Looks pretty cool i think. I'm going to run some pin sized shafts off of the main shafts to let light into the center of the mine. That way that has a nice even glow. Sounds good in theory.

looking good. unfortunate the lasers werent working out for ya, mabey it'll work in a future project. looking forward to seeing it painted now lol

What can I say..Jose's (Made007) Claymore Build inspired me to revisit this guy and give him a new look with fresh eyes and some chavant....

I wanted to keep it simple but still be recognizable as a pred landmine.
IMG_20120323_194600-1.jpg

Thanks for looking folks!

Just realized this was my first thread here on the lair. haha

Here's a little update for the ol trip mine.

I started installing a few magnets into the bottom of these so that they can be displayed on the fridge or anything else metal.

Here's some pics

I counter sinked...countersunk?? them into the bottom a little so they fit flush and still have a little gap to remove it. I'm using ceramic button magnets because they are strong enough to hold it up on the fridge but not too stong where there would scratch up the finish on the fridge. (plus I have a bunch of them left over from a wedding thing I did)
IMG_20120327_151507-1.jpg

On the door of my shop.
IMG_20120327_151448-1.jpg

On the side of the dirty Nitro.
IMG_20120327_153040-1.jpg

Thanks for looking and comment folks!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back