Red Y-wing

Lynn TXP 0369

Sr Member
***EDIT***
What is the R2 unit part from??
[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/redY-Wing_50.jpeg[/image]
It almsot looks like a gun turret top of somekind.
Thanks WC for image posting.
***END EDIT***

Does anyone got pics of the Red Y-wing? I would like them for it's paint job.

I need some good pics other then the one I found the Indy TO SW book.
Thanks,
Lynn

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 1 2006, 10:07 PM
I'm either clueless or confused... (?)
[snapback]1173928[/snapback]​

There is a semi good pic of the Red Y-wing SS model in the SW to Indy book, I'm assuming it is from ROTJ.

I'm looking for better pics of it's paint job.

Lynn

Originally posted by STEVE THE SWEDE@Feb 2 2006, 03:39 AM
Same here, only have ref pics of the yellow ones. I could be misstaken but weren't the red one built for ROTJ?

Steve.
[snapback]1174114[/snapback]​

I think it was Steve.

Lynn

I think the one built for ROTJ was a copy made due to the original ANH models not being availible for filming. If I remember correct I think that the model was actually built by an ILM model maker BEFORE he went into service for ILM, when he showed off he's previous work (including he's Y-wing model) they told him it was actually better then the the originals made for ANH and they decided to use it in for ROTJ.

As I said though, I'm not 100% sure that I remember this correct. Perhaps some one else care to chim in on this.?

Steve.

That modeller you're talking about is Bill George. He is a modeling genius.

Yes when he was interviewed for ILM he brought along a Y-Wing he had made. They told it was better tan the original ones and that model was used in the ROTJ. He made the B-wing (after being contracted), the Klingon Bird of Prey, the 1/4 Spinner car for Blade Runner ...

The Red Y-Wing was made for ANH, but was never seen on film. The red Y was used for many promo shoots, that is why the old die-cast Y-Wing had red nose markings. The one Bill George made was used for the end of Empire. He made his as a fan and when he ended up working for ILM they used his Y-Wing because none of the originals were available at the time.

wasnt the red Y orginally a pyro model, i thought it was rebuilt for promo and didnt make the cut for the movie, hence the red Y has a lot of differences to the gold Y's we know well, and yes BG was drafted in for ESB and finally ROTJ i believe.

A lot of cool onfo on this.
Thanks to all who sent pics.
It has one different ??R2?? in it. :lol
This is one different bird. I like it.. :D
Thanks,
Lynn

my understanding is that the y-wing models (and some x-wings) were given to 20th Century-Fox executives as thank-you gifts for their support.

Originally posted by Samos 3@Feb 2 2006, 11:19 AM
OK... and why werent the original Y-Wings available?
[snapback]1174394[/snapback]​

Thanks lynn, shes no way perfect but my first scratchbuild so im happy how its going.

As for the red Y prop, yes the R2 unit does look like a turret of sorts i didnt even clue on to that. Also the right engine looks like a refit? It has no red or grey markings leaving me to believe it was a pyro model, anyone know more on this.

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369+Feb 2 2006, 11:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Feb 2 2006, 11:37 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Feb 1 2006, 10:07 PM
I'm either clueless or confused... (?)
[snapback]1173928[/snapback]​

There is a semi good pic of the Red Y-wing SS model in the SW to Indy book, I'm assuming it is from ROTJ.

I'm looking for better pics of it's paint job.

Lynn
[snapback]1174151[/snapback]​
[/b]

Good god I never realized that thing was red.

I've had that bok since it first came out, and never really studied that photo or its caption...

The George Y was used in Jedi. The Y's at the end of ESB are the ANH. The Red Y was built for ANH but never used on screen.Many different details compared to the Gold Y's. As Flint mentioned it was used for promotional purposes and for the studio in London to make the 1.1 Y.

The "turret" for the R2 on the ANH Red Y is the upper gun turret from the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster Bomber.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back