Red-X - Teen Titans Cartoon

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Temperance, Apr 25, 2012.

  1. Temperance

    Temperance Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    361
    Lessee... it's been awhile since I posted any progress. I thought it might be best to finish (or nearly finish) the costume, then post a super LOOOOng post about the steps and stuff...

    So, I am NEARLY done....I still have to make the gloves and the belt, then he is complete. Gah! so close now! I will have him done by Friday *knocks on wood* in time for the Calgary comic and entertainment expo (Calgary Expo).

    So let me show you what I've done sofar.....

    The mask! When it comes right down to it, with Red X the mask is the most essential part. Ever costume I have seen of Red X has a balaclava and a white faceplate. I thought it would be easier and more comfortable to have a full helmet. So! I wrapped my head in plastercloth and made a base of my own head, then filled the plastercloth base with expanding foam for a rigid structure to work from. From there, I used clay to sculpt the mask design.
    [​IMG]

    Once the sculpt was done, I used Rubber latex for a mold. Rubber latex is one of the slowest mold methods... you add thin layers of latex over 10-20 days until you have a thick enough mold. I had been having poor luck with Silicone lately (I am thinking it's either my cold basement affected the silicone I had stored there, or there was some sulphur contamination in my clay), so I decided to use this slower method. Once I had a nice mold, I used more plastercloth to make a hard frame to house the mold.
    [​IMG]

    I cast the mask using a slush cast. Basically you roll a fast curing resin around the inside of the mold so you end up with a nice hollow interior. I gave the mask a test to see how it fit my head. Yay! perfect fit :3
    [​IMG]

    No matter how good you think your sculpt is, there will always be some repairs or cleaning to do to the finished pull. I used bondo and sandpaper to fill in holes and smooth out the whole helmet..... so much sand paper >_< so much sanding!
    [​IMG]

    Once I was satisfied with my sanding and clean up, I added paint. I airbrushed the white and black, using painters tape to get nice clean edges.
    [​IMG]

    The eyes are buckram. The same stuff I use for Fursuit heads. However, instead of black on both sides, I sprayed one side with black and the other white. The black side would be for me to look through (for some reason, it's easier to look through black buckram).
    [​IMG]

    And the finished mask! Yay! I am very happy with how it turned out. When I wear it with a balaclava, it's quite awesome :3
    [​IMG]

    Annnd the uni. A pattern I drafted myself and used a zig zag stitch to add the red X to the chest.
    [​IMG]

    Cape is done as well, but apparently I haven't taken photos yet!
    Belt is on the way! Go me! I can do it! 2 more days :D
     
  2. crabra comander

    crabra comander Sr Member

    Trophy Points:
    2,466
    Nice mask, alot of good information here, keep it coming!
     
  3. fleefromme

    fleefromme Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    342
    i love red x. cant wait to see your finished product.
     
  4. 9Gs

    9Gs New Member

    Trophy Points:
    16
    Looking nice. I really enjoyed Teen Titans. I'll be sure to remember your tip on being able to see through black buckram better than white.
     

Share This Page